Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Paul Grecian on Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:16 pm
Paul Grecian
Forum Contributor
I'm still a Canon 10D newbie as far as usage. I'm forcing myself to use it more to get better with it. I am beginning to see the advantages of digital and am beginning to think about what next camera would make sense. My thoughts are that as far as image quality there is not enough difference between 6mp and 8mp to warrant a purchase when that becomes available. Though there would be between 6mp and 11mp, I understand the 1Ds doesn't have as good quality at upper ISOs (400, 800). So does that mean, if any of what I say is right, that I'm waiting for an updated 1Ds with better noise control? Please correct my thoughts/information if wrong. Thanks,

Paul

by David Burren on Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:48 pm
David Burren
Forum Contributor
That seems like a strange question, so I'll ask a question in return:

You have a 10D, which is an excellent camera. Granted it's not perfect (see the thread about wishlists for DSLRs) but what features is it lacking that are causing to you be "waiting" for a new camera instead of going out and enjoying your current one?

by Paul Grecian on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:17 pm
Paul Grecian
Forum Contributor
Hi David,

Thanks for asking for clarification. My thoughts have to do not with selling the 10D but rather what my future is as regards film. I'm trying to determine how imminantly I may switch to digital as my primary system and film as my backup. I currently use a 1V and a Pentax medium format system. I'm trying to determine if either of these will be part of my future for long. The benefits I feel they provide me now are faster focus (1V) and enlargable prints to 16x20 or bigger (Pentax). I don't think 8mp is enough to warrent buying to supplant not replace 6mp, and I don't think the 1Ds has the noice control at higher ISO's or is available at a price that I would want. However, I also don't think I would need more than 11mp. So I guess I'm answering my own question with saying I want an improved 1Ds before I would switch primarily to digital? Where's the flaw in my thinking?

Paul

by David Burren on Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:50 pm
David Burren
Forum Contributor
I see - it wasn't obvious from your initial post that you were still holding onto film cameras also.

I have to admit that for me the 10D (with a D30 as backup) is "enough" camera for me to not bother with film at all (at least in 35mm). If/when a camera comes out with better AF/etc and more than 6 Mp I may well consider upgrading my D30 and making the 10D my backup (8 Mp may well be fine).

It's a personal choice, but no your thinking doesn't seem particularly flawed. Certainly an updated 1Ds would be nice, but who knows - there may be something in between that has the right feature mix for you to consider. It's hard to predict until it arrives.

4 posts |