Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by hari ari on Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:46 am
hari ari
Forum Contributor
I am looking for good field guides for birds of the North and South American continents. All suggestions please.

Hari

by Alan Melle on Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:16 am
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Can't speak for South America but the new Sibley guides (east & West) for North America are great.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by AForns on Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:26 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
I really like the Peterson's field guides.

Alfred

by fredcor on Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:39 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
You could have a look at the National Geographic Society's "Field Guide to the Birds of North America". I bought the first edition many years ago, it's now in the fifth edition (I need to buy a new one :) ). The guide is very good, and highly recommended by many Birders, it usually rates first or amonst the top 3 in most reviews of books for birds.
Frederick Lat Correa

by Ethan Meleg on Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:29 pm
Ethan Meleg
Forum Contributor
I've been birding since I was 10 years old, leading bird tours for a decade and I swear by the National Geographic Guide to North American Birds. Best all around field guide there is covering all of North America. Sibley's new guides are great, but do not cover all of N Am in one book. The larger (first) version of Sibley is excellent, but too big to carry in the field. Peterson's do not cover all of N Am in one guide, there's an eastern and a western version.
Ethan Meleg
web: [url]http://www.ethanmeleg.com[/url]

by Juan A. Pons on Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:23 pm
Juan A. Pons
Web Consultant
Member #:00028
Ethan is right the Petersons field guides split the North American continent in two but in my opinion this is a ver good thing. Primarily because it makes the field guide small and easy to put in a back pocket or even a shirt pocket. Try that with either the Sibley (even his smaller split versions) or the NG guide.

I also find the Petersons identification system the best (it is so good in fact that the US military used it to help in plane indentification) plus I find his written descriptions the best of all the guides.

I do quite a few bird ID guides including all of the sibley guides and the NG guides, and I can tell you that not one of them is perfect. But for identification I personally find petersons the best.

-J
Juan A. Pons
NSN 0028
Check my new Photo Workshops: http://juanpons.org/workshops

by AForns on Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:07 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
The Peterson Guide also gives you the bird’s range. I find that helpful and usually use it as my first choice.

Alfred

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:18 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
For North America - if you get just one book, the definitive guide is Sibley's Guide to Birds. I have tried and used almost all of them at this point and nothing else comes close in my opinion. Accept no substitute :)

by bill3540 on Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:15 pm
bill3540
Forum Contributor
Hari,
IMO, the Sibley's and the National Geographic are the best.
Bill
Bill
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it"

9 posts |