All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:37 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I have a metal ground pod purchased a while back from the store at a different website. I am curious as to what others use to mount their big lenses onto the ground pod. Previously, I have used my old retired Arca Swiss ball head. My problem is that I have misplaced the ballhead and have no idea where it is.

I have been considering an Acratech ball head as it looks really easy to clean. I have also thought of using my Wimberly head. What do others use?

Thanks
Rocky Sharwell

by Bob Ettinger on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:59 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Rocky,

I use an old Giottto but think that that Acractech would be better as it is easier to clean out the sand and salt.
Bob Ettinger

by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:05 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Bob:

I saw the Acratech on someone's tripod at Bosque--It looked impressive to me. I am still hoping to find my old AS this weekend though.
Rocky Sharwell

by Tim Grams on Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:05 am
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
The few times I've used a ground pod, I've just used my regular Arca Swiss ballhead. I have a Sidekick that I use with that set up too.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by Dan Barthel on Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:57 am
Dan Barthel
Forum Contributor
I use the Acratech on my skid plate w/wo the sidekick depending on the lens. Easy to clean. I use a soft paintbrush after a morning on the beach to wisk the sand off everyting.
NSN 061
Dan

by Bill Tucker on Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:13 am
Bill Tucker
Regional Moderator
Member #:01204
Rocky,

I use the Arcatech on a ground pod. I got it specifically because of the sand down here and knowing it would quickly ruin my Arca-Swiss. The only issue I have found is it can be a little too low to the ground and you can end up with unwanted oof’s in the foreground and / or a real sore neck. I have used the sidekick with it at times to avoid this. This may not be an issue with Cannon as the lens foot may be a different height.
If we run into each other I’ll be glad to show it to, it’s usually in the trunk.

Bill

ps-I may be up that way Sunday morning again praying for a decent Cara Cara shot….

by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:07 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the offer Bill--But I have ordered an Acratach. I have a friend who will buy it if I don't like it. I have thought about putting some sort of metal/plastic pad to raise the camera if it is too low. That was the one thing I liked about the AS head--it was the right height for groundpod use.
Rocky Sharwell

by Bob Ettinger on Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:02 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Rocky,

A block of wood and a longer bolt will raise the head any amount. Home Depot here you go :D
Bob Ettinger

by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:00 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Good idea Bob...

I am off to Home Depot tomorrow morning anyway to learn how to install wood flooring...
Rocky Sharwell

9 posts |