Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by Geo on Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:24 pm
Geo
Forum Contributor

Last edited by Geo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Paul Skoczylas on Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:35 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
One thing to miss about film is the ability to look at your transparencies on a light box. There's just something about that which can't be replaced by a computer screen.

-Paul
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

by George DeCamp on Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:07 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Geo wrote:Is framing and then labelling slides when I go completely digital - I have just finished framing, typing and labeling over 2000 ... it´s taken me weeeeeeks ..... :roll: Geo
Well then get ready to spend some real time with digital workflow...UGH!
I am going to Kenya on 1/31 for 17 days, when I get back I know I will have thousands of shots to go over, tweek and burn CD's or DVD's, etc. That should keep me busy till next winter! *lol* :roll:

by Geo on Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:21 pm
Geo
Forum Contributor

Last edited by Geo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Rocky Sharwell on Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:39 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Paul Skoczylas wrote:One thing to miss about film is the ability to look at your transparencies on a light box. There's just something about that which can't be replaced by a computer screen.

-Paul
One of the things I love about digital is not having to sit at a desk and look over my lightbox. I sit in my my good comfy easy chair with my laptop and a purring cat or two assisting me.

The cats have not quite decided for sure whether they like the switch to digital 100%. They like it when I sit in my big chair and they use me as a cushion. They don't miss how cranky I used to get when they would get close to the light table. They do miss playing "chase the slide" which consisted of me tossing rejects to a garbage can a few feet away.
Rocky Sharwell

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Paul Skoczylas wrote:One thing to miss about film is the ability to look at your transparencies on a light box. There's just something about that which can't be replaced by a computer screen.
Funny - I hated nothing more than doing that! There's nothing more tedious than laying slides out on a lightbox.

by Cliff Beittel on Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:23 pm
Cliff Beittel
Forum Contributor
I would certainly have a different feeling reading this advice from the highest-paying magazine I deal with: "You should know that electronic images do not compete on a level playing field with transparencies on a light table. I don't doubt that they are good but they must be exceptional to go the next several steps. I do look at them all, but pixels do not sing like silver does."

Let the seller beware! :wink:
[b]Cliff Beittel[/b]
[url]http://www.agpix.com/cliffbeittel[/url]

by Geo on Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:24 am
Geo
Forum Contributor

Last edited by Geo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Maxis Gamez on Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:03 am
Maxis Gamez
Forum Contributor

-Paul
I'm with you! :lol:
Maxis Gamez

by Svein-Frode on Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:28 am
Svein-Frode
Lifetime Member
Member #:00152
You see George, it's all about you being a lazy sod... :D

Well, I hate to admit it, but I'm in that category, and yes, sorting, mounting, labeling and archiving slides is a PAIN, and I have a complete digital workflow in addition with most of my slides anyway - so it's really twice the work. Though, with good music the hours can fly quickly and comfortabley...

I have to agree with all the others about the light box though - It's magic watching those little colorful artworks with a good loupe... Laying them out on the box has never been a problem for me - They're all sleeved anyway so it takes no time at all.

What I truly will never miss is scanning - Oh my do I HATE it! It has learned me to be very critical about exposure though ;)
Svein-Frode

by Geo on Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:30 am
Geo
Forum Contributor

Last edited by Geo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Chuck Peacock on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:10 pm
Chuck Peacock
Forum Contributor
sveingud wrote: What I truly will never miss is scanning - Oh my do I HATE it! It has learned me to be very critical about exposure though ;)
I'm with you, add a few more "hate"s to that though.
Chuck

by jnadler on Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:47 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
I don't miss picking up my slides from a pro lab, to find particles all over every slide- that was blamed on the municipal water system doing a flushing. The worst case of cloning ever required!

13 posts |