« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Larsen on Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:18 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Aside from the the drive through Ding Darling itself, does anyone who's been in this area within the last month or so have any good bird or other wildlife location tips? Tips like osprey nests at eye-level, (Lover's Key was supposed have a good osprey nest last year) or other good wildlife subjects in predictable locations.
Thanks!
Peter
_

by Bill Tucker on Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:39 pm
Bill Tucker
Regional Moderator
Member #:01204
There is Information on some areas in Florida’s Regional Forum.

As for the Osprey nest at Lover’s Key I personally have not checked it yet this year. Still may be a bit too early for them. I was told last year that the Ospreys try and build there every year and each year the nest is raided by a raccoon or two.

That general area is very good for Ospreys year round.

Bill

by Maxis Gamez on Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:35 am
Maxis Gamez
Forum Contributor
Bill T wrote:There is Information on some areas in Florida’s Regional Forum.

As for the Osprey nest at Lover’s Key I personally have not checked it yet this year. Still may be a bit too early for them. I was told last year that the Ospreys try and build there every year and each year the nest is raided by a raccoon or two.

That general area is very good for Ospreys year round.

Bill
This is true. I was shooting these guys last year and the results are just fantastic. Can't wait to go back this year.
Maxis Gamez

by Dan Barthel on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:40 am
Dan Barthel
Forum Contributor
Further south, along US 41 toward Miami, the volume is still very low. Water is very high in both Fakahatchee and Big Cypress, so they may be here but scattered all over.
NSN 061
Dan

by AForns on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:12 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Venice Rookery would be a great place. Was there last week.

Might also try Grande Tours http://www.grandetours.com/photography.htm Had a very good time there. Had the barge for myself and they do cater to Photographers.

Alfred

by Rich Phalin on Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:05 pm
Rich Phalin
Forum Contributor
A place I learned about from the Audubon center in Punta Gorda is a pond located on the SW or SE corner of Aqui Esta and Bal Harbor Rd behind a strip mall or grocery store in Punta Gorda. The pond is famous for hundreds of Hooded Mergansers and other ducks. I never been there myself but I talked to someone at the Audubon center a couple weeks ago and said the pond is full of them right now. Might be a place to try out.

by Bill Tucker on Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:02 pm
Bill Tucker
Regional Moderator
Rich Phalin wrote:Aqui Esta and Bal Harbor Rd behind a strip mall or grocery store in Punta Gorda.
This is a section of Punta Gorda Isles, lots of waterways there as the name suggests. If memory serves me correct there is a strip mall with a Food Lion there.

I have never been told about ducks there but I will certainly check it out and let everyone know as I live very close by. :D

Bill

by Larsen on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:14 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Bill T wrote:I have never been told about ducks there but I will certainly check it out and let everyone know as I live very close by. :D

Bill
Thanks, Bill. It sounds like there's good potential.
_

by Ethan Meleg on Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:29 pm
Ethan Meleg
Forum Contributor
Hi Peter,

I just spent the last 2 1/2 weeks (and 70 rolls of film) shooting in south Florida, based out of Fort Myers Beach/Estero Island. It was my 6th year in a row making this trip during Dec/early Jan, so I've come to know the area well for bird photography.

The great Osprey nest at Lovers Key is no more - the tree fell. darn!

The Hooded Mergs in the pond in Punta Gorda (mentioned by someone in one of the above replies) are a tough shoot. I went in early one morning with a bag blind and only got distant 'bird in habitat' shots. The birds are quite wary and most of them fly off for the day each morning shortly after sunrise. This would be a great opportunity if you were prepared to set up a blind for a few days and put some time in (getting in while still dark).

Estero Beach was excellent as usual. The lagoon just south of the Holiday Inn was just ok, but the next one farther south was outstanding. Good opportunities to get Black Skimmers 'skimming' right now over the lagoon.

Merrit Island/Blackpoint Wildlife Dr (Atlantic Coast) was full of birds - this place (surprisingly) doesn't get the attention it deserves from bird photographers.

Ding Darling seemed to be on par with other years, always a good shoot.

Corkscrew: a male Painted Bunting has been visiting the feeders at the visitor centre often - sometimes perching up on the feeder for long periods of time.

Lake Trafford: Here's a hidden gem! My stepdad and I discovered this spot, just northwest of the town of Immokalee (about 15mins from Corkscrew). The place is incredible - after having shot all over Florida for the past 6 years this ranks as one of my favorite spots. Similar birds to Shark Valley, but better. Due to the the number of fishermen that are around there, the birds are very habituated. This is a place that offers lots of approachable birds, clean backgrounds and great light (morning better, but evening still good). The lady who owns the store there (name is Ann) is a good amateur photographer, and reports never having seen big glass there before - so this appears to be a new find. Go north from Corkscrew to Immokalee, turn left (west) on 29, follow to Lake Trafford Road, go left to end. Let me know what you think if you go there. I'll be talking more about this place soon, maybe a location report on NSN.

Hope this helps, feel free to email me (info@ethanmeleg.com) with any specific questions.
cheers and good shooting,
Ethan Meleg
web: [url]http://www.ethanmeleg.com[/url]

by Larsen on Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:57 am
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Ethan, thanks for a great write-up. Lake Trafford sounds great.
_

by Bill Tucker on Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:25 pm
Bill Tucker
Regional Moderator
I agree Lake Trafford can normally be productive. I had almost forgotten about this spot. I posted directions from the north end and some further information about it in the Florida forum. Also a picture of some Limpkin chicks from last year.

As for the pond in Punta Gorda. I would not recommend anybody make a special trip to visit it. There are many ducks here however it has very limited places to clearing view them. The ducks here are very wary of people, even the rare and exotic Coot wants nothing to do with people. The slightest movement can almost clear the pond in the early morning. From what I have observed the majority of the ducks leave this pond at sunrise or a little after.

Since this fairly close to me I will stop by from time to time and see if some of these guys won’t warm up to visitors. For anyone who still wants to visit I would suggest doing so in the morning and getting there very early while it is still dark. Also make sure to watch the ground for fire ants. I noticed many mounds along the banks.

Bill

11 posts |