Motif: Peek-a-boo wolf (captive)

Posted by NDCheryl on Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
Gray Wolf (captive)
Canadian Wildlife Experience, Ontario

This shot was taken a few winters ago in Canada. I was in a compound with a 6 pack of wolves and one wolf hung back from the back and was watching the group from behind the trees. While everyone else was shooting several wolves together, I turned and photographed the solitary wolf who was keeping an eye on us. This trip was the first time I used the Canon EOS3 system, having got my camera 2 days before the trip. Fortunately I had no problems figuring out anything, except eye control which I still have not gotten to work consistently for me!

Canon EOS3 with 100-400IS on tripod, Provia 100F
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

Posted by:
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026

by Kelly on Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:50 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Cheryl, The intense eyes that show so much of this wolf's personality are wonderful. I do wish that the branches also were in focus. Do you remember how you metered this?

I also have inconsistent results with eye-control focus on my Elan 7e, but previously attributed it to the limited number of focus points.
Kelly O'Neill

by NDCheryl on Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:55 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Kelly wrote:Cheryl, The intense eyes that show so much of this wolf's personality are wonderful. I do wish that the branches also were in focus. Do you remember how you metered this?

I also have inconsistent results with eye-control focus on my Elan 7e, but previously attributed it to the limited number of focus points.
Kelly,

I do not remember how I metered this. i would guess I spot metered off one of the gray wolves unless I was using an incident meter at the time.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Michael Dossett on Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:45 am
Michael Dossett
Forum Contributor
I very much like the composition of this with the wolf peaking out from behind the branches. It took me a quite a while of looking at this to figure out what bothered me. Something about it just didn't seem "right." I think what it is, is that the snow is in focus. I'd rather have the tree in focus and the snow out of focus than vice versa. Since the tree isn't in focus I wonder if blurring the detail out of the snow will make my eyes look more at the wolf. It just seems that having all that light area in as much focus as it is draws my eye away from the subject.

Still a shot that I would absolutely love to have.

by Campbell on Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:28 am
Campbell
Forum Contributor
Wow, man people are really hitting the eyes on these wolf shots.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com

by Rich S on Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:50 am
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Great eyes; love the composition. Going against the grain, I prefer the snow in focus to the branches. Really makes me wonder what's the environment. (And those of us with glasses have never had an issue with the EOS eye control. :wink: )

Rich

by Alan Melle on Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:17 am
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
A terrific shot! The look of that wary wolf is just wonderful.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:38 am
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Great shot Cheryl as usual. I enjoy seeing the snow here as that is an important part of the mood of the picture. Always in my mind searching for different types of crops, I wondered about a tight vertical.. Wolves are wonderful subjects and thanks for posting this one!
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:52 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Very nice shot - I like the peekaboo nature of the shot. I think pulling back the blue and maybe cyan channels a bit would make it even better.

by Carol Clarke on Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:12 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I smiled when I read your notes Cheryl - you sound a lot like me! Looking for the different subject/shot, when the others are all taking the same thing.

Another great catch from you with this one! 8)

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank you for your helpful critiques and advice over the past few months, they have helped me more than you know. Also to wish you a wonderful and Happy New Year for 2004. Thank you. :)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Greg Downing on Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:02 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Cute shot Cheryl!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

11 posts |