All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 73 posts | 
by Greg Downing on Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:53 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I need to purchase a good pair of winter boots and wonder what other's experiences have been. I want to buy the warmest boots I can find and hope to get some advice. I admit I am a cold weather wimp. ;)

TIA.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by vbpholaw on Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:23 pm
vbpholaw
Forum Contributor
Well Mr. Wimp, don't go north if you can't take the cold. :wink:

I have had good success with Sorel Caribou boots. That includes wearing sock liners and good heavy wool or synthetic socks (Smart Wool socks or the equivalent work well). I happened to be in an outdoor shop earlier today and was asking about some of the new tech cold-weather boots. The owner was hard pressed to say that the new-tech Sorel or similar boots were any warmer than the Caribou, although they are more expensive. I have worn the Caribou boots on several winter trips to Yellowstone and in Homer, AK in March. They work well but are not perfect, particularly if you are standing around on ice waiting to shoot for a couple of hours. In those circumstances, some of the chemical heaters you can put in the boot would help. If you are hiking or moving around actively, they certainly do the trick in sub-zero temperatures (although they are not the easiest boots to hike in - in this regard the new-tech boots are superior). But, if you are just standing around on ice for extended periods in such temperatures, they don't work quite as well. One other note, I have found that if you are standing in snow, the snow actually acts as an insulator from colder air temperatures, making the standing around/waiting process a bit easier to take.

Don't forget to get something warm for your travelling companion as well, unless she is backing out. :) Stock up on the chemical heaters. :) :)

by Steve S on Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:38 pm
Steve S
Forum Contributor
Take a look at the Baffin Extreme series..comfort rated at -148F. I have one of their boots rated at -50F and my feet rarely get cold. Proper poly socks, liners and actual boot fit allowing a little breathing room are almost as important as the boot itself. Try before you buy !
Steve

by Ron Niebrugge on Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:35 am
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Member #:00440
If you want the warmest boots you can find for extreme cold, I think there is only one choice: bunny boots. They are big, white, funny looking things, but man do they work. My feet have never gotten cold in them – and I grew up in a very cold part of Alaska. It is what most of the guys working outside at Prudhoe Bay use.

The problem with bunny boots is they are getting hard to find; the company that makes them closed their doors after they lost their military contract. I know here in Alaska there was a big rush to buy up any available pairs. It was front page headline news here because they are such valued footwear in the cold. You might try searching the web, or checking with military surplus outlets.

by MikeBinOK on Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:19 am
MikeBinOK
Lifetime Member
Member #:00254
I have no direct experience with the "bunny boots" that Ron mentioned, but I remember them in the Army where we knew them as "Mickey Mouse Boots". Since my Army time was spent in Texas and Kansas, I never had need for them myself! The folks at army surplus stores might know the Mickey Mouse name instead of Ron's.

I have vague memories of being told that Mickey Mouse Boots were in disfavor with the Army because of problems if they were worn too long--Moisture buildup or something. Alas, I can't remember specifics, this was fifteen years ago or more. At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd encourage anyone wearing them to use good sense and take care of their feet, including inspecting them periodically!
Mike B. in OKlahoma
Oklahoma City, OK

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

by Ron Niebrugge on Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:23 am
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Good point Mike, I think “Mickey Mouse boots” are the name for the black version. For some reason most people up here seem to have the white “bunny boot” version.

by BrianS on Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:20 am
BrianS
Lifetime Member
Member #:00196
I bought some Coleman Hiking boots and have to say Don't get them -- my feet absolutely freeze after an hour or so in sub freezing temperatures.

I found two pairs of boots are required -- General hiking for 32 degrees and up paired up with a good set of thermal socks and then boots specifically designed for freezing temperatures.
[b]Brian Spangler[/b]
[url=http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net][b][u]http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net[/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm][b][u]NSN 0196[/u][/b][/url]

by Mark on Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:30 am
Mark
Forum Contributor
Hey Greg - perhaps you have seen this site;

http://www.naturescapes.net/retail/neos.htm

I would bet you could get a discount? :wink:

Actually I find the NEOS quite good for cold weather. Wear a comfortable hiking boot with warm socks, and leave the waterproofness / snow resistance to the overshoe. Lighter to pack as well.
Mark

by Bob Ettinger on Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:10 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
LaCrosse Ice Kings
Bob Ettinger

by Michael Brown on Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:38 am
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor
Bunny boots! .................................. Find them!!!

There were many times that I wished that I could get the rest of my body down inside those boots.

Montana - 8 years ago
The high for the day -12
A total of 14 hours out in the field.
**Not a single twinge of cold in my feet all day long!!!

And this southern boy is a cold weather wimp also, and I am one of those individuals that if their feet gets real cold, then I become useless!

I still have my 2 pair of bunnies, and as rough as they look I would not trade them now for anything out there!

Mike
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]

by Jim Zipp on Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:52 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Bob Ettinger wrote:LaCrosse Ice Kings
I have friends in Duluth that swear by these boots.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Jim Zipp on Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:54 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Michael Brown wrote:Bunny boots! .................................. Find them!!!
If anyone finds a sourse for these boots I hope they post it!
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by NDCheryl on Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:56 am
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
I did a Google search for bunny boots and there are a bunch of listing and there are new and used boots listed on EBay as well. Based on what everyone is saying here, I am going to get myself a pair.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by AForns on Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:48 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
I was just checking in Ebay and they do have a large supply of new and used. I have a feeling there is going to be a run on Bunny Boots :)

I have been looking at the boots and can’t see what makes them that great. They look very ordinary. Can somebody give some specific information.

Alfred

by Greg Downing on Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:52 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I found the bunny boots all over e-bay as well. The white ones seem to be rated for lower temps than the black ones. They can be had pretty cheap, but I wonder if there are better alternatives.

The NEOS are a good idea and something I had considered. However the ones we sell have no insulation. I will look at some of the other models to see if they provide any protection from the cold.

Thanks all for the help! :)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by NDCheryl on Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:05 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
AForns wrote:I was just checking in Ebay and they do have a large supply of new and used. I have a feeling there is going to be a run on Bunny Boots :)

I have been looking at the boots and can’t see what makes them that great. They look very ordinary. Can somebody give some specific information.

Alfred
aLFRED,

If you go back to Ebay and look at the listings, most give a pretty thorough description of the boots and how they are made.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Steve Roman on Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:38 pm
Steve Roman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00416
need to purchase a good pair of winter boots and wonder what other's experiences have been. I want to buy the warmest boots I can find and hope to get some advice. I admit I am a cold weather wimp.
The big question is where are you going to us them. Unless you are going on a photo shoot to Antarctica :shock: , the boots used by people in places like Alaska and Minnesota should be all you need. That is, any of the topline models of Sorrel or LaCrosse boots.
Steve Roman
Champlin, MN
[b]NSN 0416[/b]

by Alan Melle on Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:53 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
The LaCrosse Ice Kings were recommended to Moose Peterson by his Fairbanks guides when he photographed Musk Ox. May be worth checking out.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by AForns on Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:23 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Thanks Cheryl. After reading the information seems that going with something new would be better. The Baffin boots look very good.

They have some rated for some ridiculously low temperatures. Greg they should keep you warm.

Alfred

by Ron Niebrugge on Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:39 pm
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Greg Downing wrote:I found the bunny boots all over e-bay as well. The white ones seem to be rated for lower temps than the black ones. They can be had pretty cheap, but I wonder if there are better alternatives.
I know some of the Iditarod mushers have started using the EXP boot made by Northern Outfitters (they have a website), they are supposed to rival the warmth of bunny boots. You might take a look at Cabelas, I’m told their Extreme Pac boots can also rival bunny boots in warmth.

It would help if you could be more specific about your needs or the application. What kind of temperatures do you expect to experience? You say “extreme cold”, but that may only mean 10 below to some people. How long do you expect to be outside at a time; this can make a big difference. Do you need to hike far, climb or snowshoe, or will you mostly be standing at a tripod? That can also make a big difference. Unless you are standing for long periods of time say shooting Northern Lights in the Alaska interior during January or February, a pair of Sorels may be all you need.

I normally wouldn’t buy used footwear, but bunny boots would be the exception. Since they are sealed with rubber, you can easily wash and disinfect them inside and out. I would think you could find some in pretty good condition. I think many people who purchased them find they really didn’t need something so warm, maybe ware them once or twice and found their feet got too hot, and so they are now selling them.

73 posts |