All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Griffin on Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:28 pm
Griffin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00420
It is about the start of my third year into serious bird photography. I have been posting here and there. Now when I look back, I find my work so far are pretty much subpar, if not mediocre. I know this has been asked a thousand times before, but I would like to start with a question:

"What makes a good (or great) bird photograph" or;

"How could I possibly improve?"

The fun and the possible hard part of birding, in Hong Kong and many parts of the world, that birds are pretty shy and when they find you (usually faster than you can find them), they tend to get away -- fast. Even if they are "cooperative", you cannot ask them to adjust for you. (And that is why I don't like taking human portraits that much! :D ) Worse, there are always considerations about the background.

I know by heart that my problem has nothing to do with my equippment -- I have a fairly "sharp" tool (pun intended) to go along. There must be something (apart from experience) lacking in me.

Thanks for reading this silly post.

Regards,
Griffin.
Griffin.
[b]NSN0420[/b]
[i]Disclaimer![/i] The subject is not harmed during photography process! ;)
'It is all about Light' - Michael H. Reichmann

by BrianS on Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:03 pm
BrianS
Lifetime Member
Member #:00196
What makes a good bird photo -- easy, the one that sells :lol:

There is a bit of truth in my statement, I make it a point to pick up commercial products exhibiting bird photos to see 'what makes a good photo' and having just reviewed the latest in 2004 calendars I found a split of 50/50. For 50% of the images all the technicals were in place and made for a very pleasing photo -- for the remaining images there were technicals that would surely get noted in a critique here and quite frankly I found to be sub par.
So if your goals are commercial then it isn't so much an individual photo but the volume and variety of photos you have available and whether or not they are marketed well. Otherwise a good bird photo is simply one that pleases you.

To give a specific answer to your post:
A good bird photo is one that meets all the technicals ... a great photo is a good photo but also has that unique something that catches the viewer's attention and makes it stand out over all the rest.
[b]Brian Spangler[/b]
[url=http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net][b][u]http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net[/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm][b][u]NSN 0196[/u][/b][/url]

by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:10 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
This may be too obvious but you need a good looking bird--I walk/skate and sometimes photograph around a lake close to my house. There are several Great Blue Herons on the lake--One of which is really not very attractive. From a photographic point of view I usually do not photograph the unattractive GBH.
Rocky Sharwell

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:40 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The same as any other photograph:
- A compelling subject
- Good composition
- Good exposure
- Good sharpness

by Greg Downing on Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:05 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Griffin, while a good bird photograph is often a subjective thing, I can say that I need to have an initial reaction of "wow" or an emotional response to be moved by a bird photograph. There are a lot of "good" bird photos out there, but I think a "great" bird photo needs to cause some sort of reaction from the viewer.

Very little of my own work moves me, in fact, I would say that out of the many 10's of thousands of images I have in my own files, I am moved by maybe a dozen, or perhaps even less. This often causes me to feel very down and out about my own work, so I understand where you are coming from. Trust me on that.

I just spent two weeks at an amazing place doing nothing but shooting birds and when it comes right down to it I am unhappy with the majority of what I shot. It had little to do with my technical knowledge, or lack thereof, and it also had little to do with my equipment.

Birds are not easy subjects and there are few times when everything comes together, allowing you the opportunity to capture the truly coveted "great" image. It's the nature of the subject matter, unfortunately. I can't tell you how many times I have worked my butt off only to be disappointed and depressed later, often contemplating giving it all up. It happens to everyone at one time or another.

My advice is to spend more time with your subjects, even without the equipment along, and learn to enjoy just being there. Do some research on hot spots in your area and study techniques you may not have considered before, such as using blinds, etc. Shoot some captive subjects if you have to.

In order to get the edge, and have the opportunity to create the rare "great" bird photo, you need to be out there A LOT. Spending time with birds and getting to know their behavior patterns is more than half the battle. But don't look at it as a battle, look at it as an opportunity to spend time in nature. There are worse places to spend your time, even if you don't take any pictures!

I wish you the best of luck!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Mark on Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:53 am
Mark
Forum Contributor
Greg Downing wrote:In order to get the edge, and have the opportunity to create the rare "great" bird photo, you need to be out there A LOT. Spending time with birds and getting to know their behavior patterns is more than half the battle. But don't look at it as a battle, look at it as an opportunity to spend time in nature. There are worse places to spend your time, even if you don't take any pictures!
Some of the best advice I have seen in a long time. Nicely put Greg.
Mark

by Tom Gallione on Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:17 pm
Tom Gallione
Forum Contributor
I second Mark's sentiments...thoughtful and inspiring advice from a true professional that must be taken to heart. I know I will. Thanks Greg!
Tom Gallione
Warrington, PA, USA

by Paul Skoczylas on Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:40 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
I'm not a bird photographer (a few mediocre shots notwithstanding), but I think I can be allowed an opinion. :wink:

There's currently a discussion on another forum about a supposed lack of artistic impact in bird shots, which made me think a bit about this.

I think there's two levels to this. The first (upper) level is the "great' shot that Greg mentions above. This needs to have something more than perfect technicals, and a standard BOAS composition. I'd agree that these shots aren't all that common.

The second level makes up the majority of the bird shots we see here and on other forums: Good technicals, and good composition. These are excellent documentary shots, but is that good enough. I think so. This is a beautiful world we live in, and good documentary shots of the beauty of nature (whether bird, beast, bug, flower, or landscape) are pleasing to look at. Even the harsh or graphic moments of nature have an inherent beauty in them. Without wanting to debate the meaning of "art", I put forward the position that any photograph that is pleasing to look at, even if it doesn't have that "wow" impact, is a good photograph.

To achieve the second level, you just need to find the subjects and have good technical skills--that's what I'm working on for myself. To get to the first level is tougher, and I can't help there...

-Paul
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

8 posts |