All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by James McIntyre on Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:10 pm
James McIntyre
Lifetime Member
Member #:00068
Most people seem to go to BdA around Thanksgiving, when the weather is still relatively warm and the corn rows are still close to the road on the farm at the north end of the tour loop.

Would someone who has been there later in the winter kindly comment on what the optimum time would be for seeing cranes starting their courtship dances, raptors, and other wintering species? As I recall NANPA met at BdA in February last year (?), so maybe someone who was there for that meeting could comment.

Thanks,
Jim McIntyre

by Robert Kemmerlin on Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:52 pm
Robert Kemmerlin
Lifetime Member
Member #:00076
I was there last February (my 1st trip there) and had a wonderful time. Morning temperatures were in the teens but it warmed up to the 40s in the afternoon (or warmer). There were a lot of geese and cranes (>20,000) of each and we saw roadrunners every day. I was more than satisfied with the shooting opportunities.
Robert Kemmerlin

[url=http://www.wildlifesouth.com/]WildlifeSouth - A Nature Photography Journal[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You get all the same birds as you get in November December and probably a few more Bald Eagles of in the distance. The plumage will be a lot rattier and worn.

by Jess Lee on Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:47 pm
Jess Lee
Forum Contributor
Actually most of the birds leave Bosque before the courtship begins. Sand hills do a little dancing throughout the year so it is possible to get some "dancing"
Jess
Photos have a story to tell.
Photo Workshops

Western Images

4 posts |