All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by TSparger on Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:20 pm
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
I was wondering what metering mode, specifically on cameras without spot metering, most of you are shooting with. I know this answer probably depends a lot on what your subject is, but what would you say your most frequent metering mode is set on. This question really came to me from the technical data that Arthur Morris put on one of his recent avian photos.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If I don't have a good idea of what the exposure for the conditions should be. as a starting point I typically use the Evaluative meter in manual exposure mode with compensation based on the scene. Since I shoot digitally, that is basically just a place to start and take a test shot. I then refine the exposure based on the histogram and don't use the meter at all.

Last edited by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Greg Downing on Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:35 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I shoot 90% of my images in manual mode using the evaluative meter as a starting point with compensation based on the subject and the background. I sometimes use an incident meter but, now shooting digital, I rely more on the evaluative meter for initial settings since I can just check the histogram . Since I shoot in manual I lock in my exposure once I am happy with the resulting histogram.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Eric R Johnson on Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:19 am
Eric R Johnson
Forum Contributor
I've seen it noted repeatedly that the Canon Evaluative meter is less than wonderful. I haven't been that thrilled with it either, after using Nikon Matrix metering. So I just use Center-Weighted metering and compensation in Manual mode on my D30, relying on the histogram to fine-tune the exposure, as E.J. and Greg have noted.

I suppose there is not a huge differnce between Eval and CW, as the few times I've checked the exposure is the same. In more difficult lighting situations, though, I'd rather have a simpler, more predictable algorithm (CW) as a base for setting exposure. And if I do want to work in an automatic mode, I want predictability, repeatability, and simplicity :-)
Eric Johnson
NSN0101

by Steve Mekata on Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:02 pm
Steve Mekata
Forum Contributor
I forget what it is called, but on my Canon 10D, I don't have a spot meter. :(

So, I use the smallest metering area mode. The three modes I have are:

[(*)] => matrix
[( )] => ???
[ ] => ???

Anyway, the one I use is the middle one. I believe it is just the inside 9.5%, and fills the circle w/in the viewfinder. If I'm using a zoom, I'll sometimes zoom in, meter, then zoom back out in order to meter off a smaller area.

by Neil Fitzgerald on Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:18 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Steve, sounds like partial metering to me.
I probably use partial most of the time, especially for straight forward scenes. I use evaluative (with fingers crossed) when lazy, rushed, or indecisive:?

N.

by Ted Simonett on Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:31 am
Ted Simonett
Forum Contributor
The manual for the 10D suggests the partial metering mode [O] is effective for bright backgrounds and dark subjects, as the metering is weighted to the 9% center.

I usually use centre-weighted [], having learned how to use it over the years on older cameras. As noted above, with histrograms and instant feedback available, any first shot in any mode can simply be a starting point.
Ted

7 posts |