All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Neil Fitzgerald on Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:35 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
I just read the PPLS article on Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve and was somewhat surprised to read "As is the nature of shorebirds, low tide is best for photographic opportunities". Now I've always been told and believed that high tide was best, because where I tend to go most, at low tide birds are scattered over thousands of hectares of exposed mudflat. As the tide comes in, birds feed in increasingly restricted area, and at high tide they congregate into large flocks. I know every site will have certain aspects which dictate the "best" times to shoot, but the impression I get from this article is that in general low tide is best. Can someone explain this to me? Is it just Bolsa Chica, or am I missing out on some great photographic opportunities? I can't imagine being able to even find a red-necked stint on 8500 ha of mud when there are probably only a few dozen out there. Even 10,000 godwits seem to disappear at low tide :?
Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:02 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It depends is the answer. In some places, high tide pushes the birds closer to shore making it easier to photograph them in others low tide makes the water shallow enough for shorebirds so it just depends.

by Neil Fitzgerald on Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:58 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Thanks EJ. I thought "It depends" could be the only logical answer. I guess I was taking the quoted sentence too seriously.

by Dick Ginkowski on Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:07 pm
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
Don't let the tide tables absolutely dictate your shooting. You may find fewer birds at an off time but that could make it easier to isolate them.

I'm sure the die hard bird photographers with behemoth lenses will add to this! :)

by Rocky Sharwell on Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:10 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Dick makes a good point--My experience at Ft. Desoto has been that single birds or small groups are much less likely to fly off after being spooked.
Rocky Sharwell

5 posts |