Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by swampduck on Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:32 pm
swampduck
Forum Contributor
I just purchased a used Sigma 500 f4.5 and took a couple of test shots. I think that the pics came out a noisy, please download this raw file and take a look at it and tell me what you think. The body was a 1D.

http://www.danieljonesphotography.com/E71G1769.TIF

Any help/insight would be appreciated. I haven't seen this with any of my other lenses on this body

by Steve Mason on Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:43 pm
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
:?:
After downloading a 3.3MB image, I was surprised that it was only 288x192 pixels. Or am I looking at it wrong??
Steve Mason

by swampduck on Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:56 pm
swampduck
Forum Contributor
hmm, let me try again. looks like the wrong one got loaded. It is a RAW
file, so it will need to be converted. I did it this way so that people could see it completely untocuhed. I did rename the file though

http://www.danieljonesphotography.com/testraw.TIF

Ahh, I know what happened. When you download it you have to make sure the extension is TIF. For some reason it gets renamed as .tiff

by robert hasty on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:40 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
I downloaded it and its not there when i go into the folder. But yet when i try and save it again, its the only one i see in the folder as a small thumbnail? Any help?

robert..........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Steve Mason on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:48 pm
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
Ohhh :oops:
I'm a D30, 10D guy so I'm used to .crw files.
I renamed it to .tif and C1 understands now...
Steve Mason

by Steve Mason on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:51 pm
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
It doesn't look too noisy to me.
Again being a D30/10D guy, I'm not sure what 1D raw files are normally like for sharpness. It seems a tad soft to me though, and lacking contrasts, though a quick levels in PS brings it back.
The round part of the church with the cross (on the left) seems to be the sharpest. The cross has some red fringing on it, CA from the lens?
Steve Mason

by swampduck on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:59 pm
swampduck
Forum Contributor
actually I hadn't really noticed and fringing on the red cross, I converted the image using Breeze originally, I converted it again using CS, and the noise level is definitely alot better, but now that you have pointed it out, I am seeing some fringing around both crosses. The softness is from my lack of experience using big glass. I don't have the right plate for my lens yet. It is on the way

by robert hasty on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:15 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Still looking for some insight here anyone, thanks!!

robert..........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by BrianS on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:23 pm
BrianS
Lifetime Member
Member #:00196
Can you post the EXIF data. My limited experience with lens problems have shown more warp type transforms whereas noise has been ISO, under exposure and dirty sensor.
[b]Brian Spangler[/b]
[url=http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net][b][u]http://brianspangler.naturescapes.net[/u][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm][b][u]NSN 0196[/u][/b][/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Well I downloaded it - wow you have a slow server with only 28KB/sec transfer rate - better providers give at least 200KB/sec. What I see is an image so small and soft that there is no noise - just an out of focus thumbnail. Then I figured out that you uploaded a RAW file that first needs to be converted which I did and I see an image with shallow DOF due to the large lens and a few spots on the sensor - note the small splotches on the sky, but not I don't see a lot of digital noise at all - it looks very clean from that standpoint. I would say something went wrong with your RAW conversion if you see a noisy image.

by deBult on Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:01 am
deBult
Forum Contributor
To get an impression on what the Sigma 500 mm HSM f4.5 can do to give you quality pictures (on Nikon D1x) have a look at Bart Breet Website: he is using it.

http://www.wildimages.nl/index.html
deBult

by swampduck on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:58 am
swampduck
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the help people, I have no doubt that the lens is capable of quality photos, I just saw alot of noise when I converted using Breeze Browser, like I said earlier, I converted it using CS, and it was alot cleaner, more what I expected from 200 ISO on the 1D. With that said, what are most people here using to convert 1D raw files?
downloaded it and its not there when i go into the folder. But yet when i try and save it again, its the only one i see in the folder as a small thumbnail? Any help?
Robert, save the file as "TIF" if you look you will see it saved as "tiff", this file still needs to be converted as it is a 1D raw file.

by swampduck on Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:00 am
swampduck
Forum Contributor
better providers give at least 200KB/sec.
Yeah I know EJ, I have a couple of months left with them, I only pay about $6 a month with this hosting company. They give me 300 mb space, 1gig traffic a month, sql database...etc, etc. But the speed is very frustrating. Any suggestions for a new provider?

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:52 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I use Earthlink for my WEB hosting but any of the bigger names will provide you with approximately equal service levels.

14 posts |