« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Dick Ginkowski on Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:09 pm
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
On a whim, I bought a ticket to Calgary arriving late Friday night, Jan. 16, and leaving Monday afternoon, Jan. 19. That leaves me Saturday and Sunday for shooting.

Any suggestions for places to shoot on those days in Banff? Will there be enough time to get to Jasper?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This time of year lots of the backcountry is closed but many of the roadside places which are very good are open such as Herbert Lake, Lake Louise, Peyto Lake (although climbing up the hill might be interesting).

by Dick Ginkowski on Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:41 pm
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks, E.J. From the responses I received vs. views, I'd say I'm blazing some new territory by going in the winter.

by Cliff LeSergent on Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:59 pm
Cliff LeSergent
Forum Contributor
From the responses I received vs. views, I'd say I'm blazing some new territory by going in the winter
Well, most of us are trying to find a warmer place to photograph this time of the year! :lol:

Seriously, though - you will need to rent snowshoes or cross-country skiis unless you plan to limit your photography to the sides of the main roads.

Driving to Jasper can be done; it's about 3 hours from the Banff townsite when the roads are good and you aren't stopping to take pictures. With snow and ice on the roads, and lots of photo stops, you will probably spend the better part of the day to get there - and the same on the way back.

For a shorter drive, you might want to check out Emerald Lake in Yoho National Park - it's just a few minutes up the road from Lake Louise, and the scenery around there is usually quite nice during the winter. I think they may even rent skiis/snowshoes at the Emerald Lake Lodge http://www.emeraldlakelodge.com/eml/index.php
Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
http://www.imageswest.ca

by Kelly on Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:42 pm
Kelly
Forum Contributor
Dick Ginkowski wrote:From the responses I received vs. views, I'd say I'm blazing some new territory by going in the winter.
Well, I hadn't replied simply because I know nothing about Banff nor about the trip there from Jasper. In Jasper, many of the minor roads were closed in early November, but there were plenty of photo opps on or within an easy hike of the open roads. Most wildlife was very approachable. I heard that crowds there can be horrendous in the summer but were minimal in November. With your limited amount of time, you might want to stay within a smaller area to maximize time for photography and minimize the time sitting in a car.
Kelly O'Neill

by Eric Fredine on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:13 am
Eric Fredine
Forum Contributor
Dick,

I've photographed quite often in both Banff and Jasper in the winter. It is a magical place any time of the year!

The lakes will all be completely frozen. You won't find open water unless it is warmed by hot springs as I believe may be the case for the one of the Vermillion Lakes near Banff (I've read this, have not been there myself in the winter). Rivers will be mostly frozen over as well, though sometimes you can find open patches of water.

The temperature can vary widely this time of the year but you need to be prepared for the possibility of extreme cold (-30C or -40C is not out of the question).

Waterfalls are covered in ice but will still likely have lots of moving water visible - they can be quite spectacular in the winter.

Weather can make things interesting - some of my best photos from the parks have been taken during snowy and overcast conditions - so be prepared for this too.

You can indeed travel from Banff to Jasper via the Icefields Parkway - a spectacular drive. But some caution is warranted. This is a high mountain road (though it is paved all the way) and as such it is subject to rapid and extreme weather changes. There also aren't that many people on it in the winter and some of the places along the road (and there aren't that many) are closed for the winter. I personally bring enough stuff (food, clothing, etc.) that I could survive a few days being snowed in on it!

It can be closed during snowy conditions.

cheers,
Eric
[b][url]http://www.ericfredine.com/[/url][/b]

by Eric Fredine on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:21 am
Eric Fredine
Forum Contributor
A few more thoughts on specific locations.

First of all I'd recommend the following book Photographing the Canadian Landscape. It has very comprehensive information on Banff and Jasper - far more shooting suggestions than you'll ever be able to cover in a few days. The Alberta section is written by Daryl Benson a well-known stock photographer who lives in Alberta. I always take my copy with me when I go to the mountains.

I know many people gravitate towards the lakes for reflections in the mountains. The winter is a different situation though since the lakes are mostly completely frozen over and usually just a vast field of white which usually doesn't make for an interesting foreground.

Some of my personal favourite areas around Banff: the Vermillion Lakes (just outside the town of Banff) - very well photographed area but it has endless possibilities and the Bow Valley Parkway (highway 1A) between Banff and Castle Junction (and a little past Castle Junction) - lots of great meadows and aspens.

cheers,
Eric[/url]
[b][url]http://www.ericfredine.com/[/url][/b]

by Paul Skoczylas on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:57 am
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
E.J. Peiker wrote:This time of year lots of the backcountry is closed but many of the roadside places which are very good are open such as Herbert Lake, Lake Louise, Peyto Lake (although climbing up the hill might be interesting).
Interesting could be an understatement.

The one time I stopped in the Peyto Lake parking lot in winter last winter, the snow banks were a good 12 feet high... I'm not even sure why they ploughed the lot--other than to make the outhouses accessible.

One really good stop to make near Banff is Johnston Canyon. It's pretty touristy, even in winter, but it's worth the stop. You might want a set of those mini-crampons that strap over hiking boots for better grip walking on ice. (I notice that some of the bus tours give them to all their customers.) Those will be useful on most of the trails that might be open in winter, even if just a hundred yards to a viewpoint. There is little or no trail maintenance in winter, and they sure as heck don't put any salt down, so things can get verrrry icy.

Lake Louise is, of course, a prime tourist spot, but it's beautiful in winter, too.

-Paul
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

by Dick Ginkowski on Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:53 pm
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
Paul Skoczylas wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:This time of year lots of the backcountry is closed but many of the roadside places which are very good are open such as Herbert Lake, Lake Louise, Peyto Lake (although climbing up the hill might be interesting).
Interesting could be an understatement.

The one time I stopped in the Peyto Lake parking lot in winter last winter, the snow banks were a good 12 feet high... I'm not even sure why they ploughed the lot--other than to make the outhouses accessible.

One really good stop to make near Banff is Johnston Canyon. It's pretty touristy, even in winter, but it's worth the stop. You might want a set of those mini-crampons that strap over hiking boots for better grip walking on ice. (I notice that some of the bus tours give them to all their customers.) Those will be useful on most of the trails that might be open in winter, even if just a hundred yards to a viewpoint. There is little or no trail maintenance in winter, and they sure as heck don't put any salt down, so things can get verrrry icy.

Lake Louise is, of course, a prime tourist spot, but it's beautiful in winter, too.

-Paul
Paul,

Thanks for the info. I thought the road to the classic view from Lake Louise was closed in the winter.

BTW--When do I pick you up? :twisted:

by Paul Skoczylas on Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:07 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
Dick Ginkowski wrote:Thanks for the info. I thought the road to the classic view from Lake Louise was closed in the winter.

BTW--When do I pick you up? :twisted:
The road to Moraine Lake (which starts from near Lake Louise) is closed in winter. Lake Louise is most definitely open. There's a VERY expensive hotel there, and lots of winter activities. (My wife, daughter, and mother-in-law went on sleigh ride beside the lake last winter while I was photographing.)

As to when to pick me up, my M-in-L lives in west Calgary. I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind visiting her for a weekend. But if I drive, you can save yourself a rental car... 8)

-Paul
[url=http://www3.telus.net/avrsvr/]Paul's Website[/url] [url=http://paulsnaturephotos.blogspot.com/]Paul's Blog[/url]
[b]NSN 0284[/b]

10 posts |