Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Paul Wood on Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:25 pm
Paul Wood
Forum Contributor
Anybody have any strong feelings about one or the other? Is the MT-24ex really worth $200 more?

I'm in the market for a macro flash, and I'm curious about the pros and cons of each light. Anybody have any experience with both?

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I have the ring light (MR-14EX) because the dual flash set-up wasn't available yet. I have had lots of success with the ring light and it is a good unit - but - if I were buying now I would buy the dual flash unit (MT-24EX) as the lighting direction is much more controllable. Ring flashes are designed to do flat copy work where the other one is designed for three dimensional macro work. Both will do the job but one is definitely better than the other.

by Sven Bernert on Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:25 pm
Sven Bernert
Lifetime Member
Member #:00086
Paul, I’d definitely go with the MT-24, as you can do so much more with the two moveable light sources than with just a ringflash. I’m currently shooting two 420EX on a Novoflex bracket for that reason and it is great how you can control the light for either your subject or for subject and background. The only drawback is, that this setup is darn heavy. So, if I ever win the lottery (the MT-24 is near 900 EUR over here :evil: ) I’ll buy the new macro flash.

Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Regards from the heart of Switzerland
NSN0086

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Holy smokes 900 Euros is way too much, you can get it for about $600 here.

by Sven Bernert on Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:00 pm
Sven Bernert
Lifetime Member
Member #:00086
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I just tried B&H for the very first time three weeks ago and it was just great because I paid ~ 1.650 $ for the new 70-200 compared to ~ 2.500 EUR here in Germany.
I have setup a HUGE wish list with B&H and will now slowly work my way trough it :D
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

Regards from the heart of Switzerland
NSN0086

5 posts |