Lesser Yellowlegs - Standing Ground

Posted by RAmoruso on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
We had an explosion of Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs at Viera Wetlands this past weekend. As they would move around the marsh swallows looking for food, they would come face to face with each other. Some times this resulted in a stand-off that including calling, posturing and as shown below an aggressive assault.

Though I would have preferred the left bird's face to be more visible, the intense action of the shot, the agressive behavior of the right bird and reaction of the left is still exciting. I captured about five such interactions and this was the best. I was shooting low laying at the bank when I noticed this behavior but was not able to effectively shoot it from that position. So I moved to a seated postion, legs in front of me with the tripod set at its lowest level (legs closed and positioned out) so the view is a bit elevated as a result.

I would have worked these shots longer but at this point, three cars pulled up behind me on the berm road. At least two photographers emerged from each car, talking and laughing, and shooting the birds with their 300mm lens. Needless to say, I had gotten to my position after crawling and crouching and the birds had grown used to me and moved in quite close to my position. This only served to push them further away from my position so I called it a day.

All comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for looking.

P.S. I am getting around to posting a report in the Florida Regional Forum. This week has been a bear.
Robert Amoruso
NSN 0405
robertamorusophotography@comcast.net

Last edited by RAmoruso on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
RAmoruso
Regional Moderator
Member #:00405

by Michael Dossett on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:59 pm
Michael Dossett
Forum Contributor
Robert, I really like the action but I also really wish for eye contact with the one bird :(
I think being able to see the eye of the second bird would put this over the top. Nice job, regardless. I think you've done all that you can and its still a cool shot.

by AForns on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:10 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Love the intense action Robert !!! Would have been great having the eye visible !!! Great as is !!! 8) 8) 8) ... not sure but seems that you get that type behavior at Viera more often than not :? ..at least they had no dogs :wink:
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Gerald J Romanchuk on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:06 pm
Gerald J Romanchuk
Forum Contributor
Nice action capture Robert. I agree that more eye contact would have been nice.

I was almost going to ask you about the ID :lol: - but I held back!
Gerald Romanchuk
Edmonton, Alberta

by RAmoruso on Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:27 am
RAmoruso
Regional Moderator
I had the thinking cap on this time Gerald. :)
Gerald J Romanchuk wrote:Nice action capture Robert. I agree that more eye contact would have been nice.

I was almost going to ask you about the ID :lol: - but I held back!
Robert Amoruso
NSN 0405

by Chris Kayler on Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:08 am
Chris Kayler
Forum Contributor
Amazing action captured Robert. I really like the one that's standing expression.

by Christopher Dodds on Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:55 am
Christopher Dodds
Lifetime Member
Member #:00362
Great action captured, Robert. Love the open bill and expression on the one on the right.
[url=http://naturephotographyblog.squarespace.com/workshops/]WORKSHOPS[/url] [url=http://www.naturephotographyblog.com/]BLOG[/url] [url=http://www.facebook.com/chrisdoddsphoto]FACEBOOK[/url]

by KevinScott on Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:54 pm
KevinScott
Forum Contributor
Sorry to have ruined your shots, Robert. I'm one of those that came yucking it up with my measly 300. Funny, I thought the guys cutting the grass created a far greater disturbance than we did. I like your shot though!
Kevin
Orlando, Florida
http://www.NatureImagesByKevin.com

by RAmoruso on Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:40 pm
RAmoruso
Regional Moderator
Nothing personal Kevin and the guys cutting the grass did create more disturbance.

If I have a problem with someone in the field, I will tell them then. :) Since I didn't say anything, I was not particularly bothered by it. It just signal that it was time for me to move on out since the birds moved off.

It was not my intent to come off as snobbish (i.e., Big Glass vs. 300mm), but that is certainly how it reads so my apologies. But for me tyring to capture the kinds of shots I was trying for is very serious endeavor and something I delve into ignoring all else around me. If the birds had not moved off, I would have stayed. Your presence not a bother. Since they did I felt that my opportunities may lie elsewhere in the wetlands. I hoped that they came back for you guys.

So no hard feelings :wink: and I know for a fact I have mucked up a few images of others.
KevinScott wrote:Sorry to have ruined your shots, Robert. I'm one of those that came yucking it up with my measly 300. Funny, I thought the guys cutting the grass created a far greater disturbance than we did. I like your shot though!
Robert Amoruso
NSN 0405

9 posts |