Global Warming #1 [+ tech details & addl image]

Posted by Gary Briney on Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:00 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
This image started as a misty tree lined lake, but then I dozed off and my subconscious took over... :shock:

[editted - gc] Conceptually the image is inspired by Guernica, and "The Cry" but of course that's where
the similarity ends. (Apologies to Picasso and Munch!) If my technique with the new Wacom improves,
perhaps I'll do a motif later in the week! :) :)

the usual stuff... PS/PI/Liquify and some color tweaking...

[editted - gc] The lake image forms the background, with a hue adjustment resulting in the dark
magenta shapes from the trees. A robber fly macro forms the "spectre" in the middle layer opacity
set at about 40%, and color adjusted toward green to contrast a bit more with the other layers.

The top layer is a copy of the bg, with Particles from PhotoImpact twisted into wraiths
by Liquify in PS, and blended with Luminosity. The faint horizontal lines originate from Flood
waves in the bg copy, and finally some selective erasing over the back of the fly.

Sorry I was too sleepy when I posted this to provide a bit of explanation... :?

[edit #2] The comments of Ligia and Danny below made me think it would be interesting to show the
intermediate step of lake image with spheres, before the distortions to the surreal image. Btw, the
tree shapes on the right were touched up to more resemble insect parts in the final step.
Here it is -- comments always welcomed!
G. Briney

Last edited by Gary Briney on Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posted by:
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336

by Clive on Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:23 am
Clive
Lifetime Member
Member #:00674
A fascinating image. Is that an insect leg or a tree I see in here?

Go with the subconscious Gary!
Clive
NSN 0674
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships".
Ansel Adams

by Fabs Forns on Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:11 am
Fabs Forns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00393
My favortie Gary, you should let your subconcious work more often :wink:

That's how I work most of the times, let your fingers do the walking :D \\Real eye catcher you got here :)

by Mike Gallo on Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:30 am
Mike Gallo
Lifetime Member
Member #:00457
Looks like a Night Galery image Gary, very 3-D and awesome colors :) :) :)
Just havin' fun

by Gary Briney on Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:32 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Syrphidae wrote:A fascinating image. Is that an insect leg or a tree I see in here?
Thanks for your question Clive. Yes, it's an insect leg -- I'll edit some additional comments under the image. :oops:
G. Briney

by Gary Briney on Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:44 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
fabiolad wrote:...you should let your subconcious work more often :wink:

That's how I work most of the times, let your fingers do the walking :D
You're absolutely right Fabs -- and in truth your Dali-esque work here was much more of the inspiration than Pablo or Edvard!!! :lol:
G. Briney

by Gary Briney on Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:47 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Mike Gallo wrote:Looks like a Night Galery image Gary, very 3-D and awesome colors :) :) :)
thanks Mike -- I'll try to get the Katrina aftermath out my head, and move on to more cheerful stuff! :?
G. Briney

by AForns on Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:42 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
This is so Cool Gary !!!! Has a special feel 8) 8) 8) Love the way you incorporated all the techniques together !!!! Big Time !!! :) :)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by nzmacro on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:33 pm
nzmacro
Forum Contributor
Glob's blob's and a robber fly Gary. Funny how this turns into an art form all of a sudden when you do this. Fantastic to see and great image Gary. :) :)

Danny.
Nature is the master, we are just mere clickers in time.

by Ligia on Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:53 am
Ligia
Forum Contributor
Great creation, I love it !!!!!!!! That insect in the background is scary, it feels like, sooner or later, it is bound to get us !!!!!!!!!
Ligia

Patience, la mère de toutes les vertus.

by Gary Briney on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:31 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Eagle101 wrote:Great creation, I love it !!!!!!!! That insect in the background is scary, it feels like, sooner or later, it is bound to get us !!!!!!!!!
Thanks very much for looking and reacting Ligia!!!

The posture of this robber shot always reminds me of popular images of the tyrranosaurus.
G. Briney

by Gary Briney on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:56 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
nzmacro wrote:Glob's blob's and a robber fly Gary. Funny how this turns into an art form all of a sudden when you do this. Fantastic to see and great image Gary. :) :)

Danny.
Great point Danny -- thanks for commenting!!! :) :) :)

I am fascinated by Surrealism's effectiveness in creating emotional reaction through distortion of common objects like Dali's melting timepiece. Though we like to think otherwise, we remain emotionally driven creatures.

Since death and destruction are seldom orderly, a blob shaped vaguely like a skull can have more impact that a perfect sphere.

I think I'll post the first iteration on the lake with spheres image for comparison. Glad you brought up this fundamental point! :?
G. Briney

by Ligia on Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:05 pm
Ligia
Forum Contributor
gbriney wrote:Though we like to think otherwise, we remain emotionally driven creatures.
Tell me about it !!!!!! I can take the flag!

Love the "edit #2" without the trees at the right. It is absolutely awesome!
Ligia

Patience, la mère de toutes les vertus.

by phojo89 on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:37 pm
phojo89
Forum Contributor
Thanks for letting us know how you made this great image. I love the way it turned out. Great job. Carol W
It ain't so much the fiddle. It is the man who holds the bow. john Arthur martinez

by Carol Clarke on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:07 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Amazing creation Gary!! I am driving frantically into the storm in my attempt to safely come out the other side - I have no other way to go. :shock: The windscreen is battered by tempest driven insects amd massive rain drops smash into the glass before my terrified gaze. The flood waters have obliterated the road and I press blindly on............ :roll: :roll:

That is what I feel when I look at this awesome work!! Truly amazing and totally mesmerising! :) 8) :) :D
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Lisa Gimber on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:31 am
Lisa Gimber
Forum Contributor
Cool, Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Lisa
Reposts are very welcome.

16 posts |