Impact and Intent

Posted by alibenn on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Hi everyone,

Pretty much recovered from the bike crash 2 weeks ago, but the scar hasn't done anything for my boyish good looks (sarc)...

I was in Beijing for 3 days at the weekend with Juanli, and having moved back to China have been forced to come to the conclusion that wildlife over here is up against some tough opposition, in the shape of 1.5 Billion hungry mouths.

In the city I was looking at the impact of the need to house and feed these people and started abstracting images showing the boundaries of nature (trees or vegetation) with human creations, houses, sidewalks, metal.

I have posted a new gallery on my website with a few of these abstractions:

http://www.pbase.com/alibenn/colour_abstracts

I took this shot outside my apartment about 10 minutes ago, pretty much says what I want it to...

1Ds 24-70 a touch of Photoshop!!

All my best regards to you all,

Alister
Alister Benn
Artist, Educator & Guide
Available Light Images Ltd.
Photography & Processing Workshops in Scotland, Spain, China & Tibet

Posted by:
alibenn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00341

by Mike Gallo on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:09 am
Mike Gallo
Lifetime Member
Member #:00457
Awesome :D :D :D
Just havin' fun

by Parrothead Pete on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:14 am
Parrothead Pete
Forum Contributor
very creative. nice image.
"There are no other Everglades in the world. They are, they have always been, one of the unique regions of the earth; remote, never wholly known. Nothing anywhere else is like them..." - Marjory Stoneman Douglas

by Greg Downing on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:58 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
This is cool! And it's a lot closer the the guidelines of the forum than the last one you posted. ;) Nice work here!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by AForns on Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:21 pm
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Beautiful geometric shapes!!!! the oof bg looks great 8) 8)

.... bike crash :? glad you have recovered 8)
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by Carol Clarke on Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:41 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I have looked at this, gone away, come back and gone away again! Whilst it is technically perfect using the kaleidoscope effect, for my tastes its just too geometrically presented and too perfect. I yearn for something out of place, something just a little wild and natural, but that's just me and I can only relate how this image affects me. I realise what you're trying to achieve with these images Alister but they leave just that something missing for my personal taste. Maybe its my female eye? or being born and raised in the open country? don't know!! 8) :D

Glad being knocked of your bike hasn't resulted in anything more serious!! 8) 8) :D
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by alibenn on Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:54 pm
alibenn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00341
HI Carol,

Thanks for the long comment, you've pretty much nailed what I wanted to achieve. In the city where the boundaries of nature and people are most profound the thing that is missing is exactly what you are looking for in this image, Nature, but it's not there. Cities tend to be ordered, less so in older cities, when their growth was dictated by natural features; rivers, hills, the ocean etc, but new cities are very ordered, just look at LA of Milton Keynes!! Chinese cities all look the same, north-south/east-west roads, ordered trees, little square parks.

In my images on the new gallery I wanted to infer that order and lack of natural context. If I want to take an image of natural beauty I'll head for the mountains, but I wanted to create a series of images showing the juxtaposition of nature in urban sprawl and how fragile and tenuous our natural world is in the face of human expansion.

Equally, in some of the images, my liberation comes from the kn owledge that in the ned, nature will prevail...

Thanks again,

Alister
Alister Benn
Artist, Educator & Guide
Available Light Images Ltd.
Photography & Processing Workshops in Scotland, Spain, China & Tibet

by Carol Clarke on Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:41 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Thanks for that Alister, as I said - I realise what you're trying to achieve ( and have achieved) 8)

OK then - I challenge you to find a wild weed just growing somewhere in those cities and urban containment!! A little free spirit (apart from your own) that manages to survive in the concrete jungle. :wink: 8) 8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

8 posts |