Young Birder

Posted by Greg Downing on Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:35 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
© Greg Downing Photography all rights reserved.

Young Birder, Venice, FL

Many weekends at Venice busloads of kids visit this small area to look at and learn about the birds. While I have heard other photographers gripe about the “crowd” I love to see kids so enthusiastic about the natural world around us that I can’t help but capture a few images of them from time to time.

EOS 1d, EF 600/4 IS, 1/640 @ f5.6, ISO 250
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

Last edited by Greg Downing on Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001

by robert hasty on Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:41 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Very cool shot Greg and i dont blame you. Very nice feeling im sure!!

robert.......
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Wayne Ellis on Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:09 am
Wayne Ellis
Forum Contributor
The future is in safe hands.
Comments and reposts welcome

Wayne Ellis

by Rocky Sharwell on Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:44 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
This brought a smile to my face......
Rocky Sharwell

by Jill on Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:20 pm
Jill
Forum Contributor
Greg, I only wish I had begun birding at his age!! Cute shot!
Jill Rosenfield

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:11 am
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor
You sure picked the right subject. Cute kid!!
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

by Ken Cravillion on Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:03 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Great to see kids with an interest.
Ken Cravillion

by mhp767 on Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:51 pm
mhp767
Forum Contributor
A great editorial shot. Out of curiousity, did you have his parents permission to photograph him and then post those photographs on the internet? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this if you didn't ask...
Matt

by Greg Downing on Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:50 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
mhp767 wrote:A great editorial shot. Out of curiousity, did you have his parents permission to photograph him and then post those photographs on the internet? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this if you didn't ask...
Matt
Thanks for the concern, but no I did not get permission.

There has been a lot of discussion on this sort of thing over the years and this is what I get from it all:

The image was taken in a public place and my understanding is that, as long as the image does not show someone in a misleading way, I am free to post the picture on public domain, sell it to a magazine, or do anything with it that cannot be construed as an illegal activity. I posted the photo with this beleif.

If the image is used for advertising then a model release would be needed. My understanding is that this is true for both minors and adults.

If anyone has information or resources that are contradictory to the above I would appreciate the input and also gladly remove the photo from this site, if it is indeed inappropriate.
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
No model release is required for this as it is not posted in a commercial manner, was taken in a public place, etc. Greg could never use this photo for any kind of compensation or use it in any kind of advertising but this use is within the law as I understand it.

Greg, I love this photo!!!

by Greg Downing on Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:37 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
E.J. Peiker wrote:No model release is required for this as it is not posted in a commercial manner, was taken in a public place, etc. Greg could never use this photo for any kind of compensation or use it in any kind of advertising but this use is within the law as I understand it.

Greg, I love this photo!!!
E.J., Why could I not be compensated for the use of this photo in any editorial manner? For instance if Birder's World wants to use it for an article about young birders. My understanding is that if it is not used for advertising, but rather for editorial then there is no model release needed (and I can be compensated). I know lots of photographers who make money on these sorts of photos without any permission or model release.
Greg Downing

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Greg Downing wrote: E.J., Why could I not be compensated for the use of this photo in any editorial manner? For instance if Birder's World wants to use it for an article about young birders. My understanding is that if it is not used for advertising, but rather for editorial then there is no model release needed (and I can be compensated). I know lots of photographers who make money on these sorts of photos without any permission or model release.
As I understand it, that is only legal for use in a newspaper or news magazine. If you are getting paid for the use of the photo in say Birder's World, you are realizing commercial gain (i.e. you are being paid for the photo and thereby your photo business or you personally are realizing a commercial gain) which required a model release.

Here is a site that explains it...
http://www.baja.com/sensuousline/sline0 ... ases.shtml

by Greg Downing on Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:32 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
E.J., I have always been told (by pros who sell these photos all the time) that editorial and fine art are excluded from the requirements of model releases, under the conditions which I described before. I do not know Michael Fulks' credentials, but the article you linked to is the first I have ever seen otherwise. That being said, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. P.S. aren't newspaper photographers also making money?
Greg Downing

by Ron Niebrugge on Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:06 pm
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Member #:00440
That is a very cute photo! It definitely brought a smile to my face!

Greg you are right, you do not need a release to sell this for editorial use whether it is used in a newspaper, Birders World or People Magazine. The paparazzi would be out of business if this were to ever change.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Well that article is an excerpt from The Photographer's Business and Legal Handbook by Leonard Duboff and acording to this, it is a violation to sell the image. I would definitely rather err on the safe side.

Last edited by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Ron Niebrugge on Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:39 am
Ron Niebrugge
Lifetime Member
Member #:00440
E.J. Peiker wrote:I would definitely rather err on the safe side.
Yeah, especially with minors. I have never felt comfortable selling unreleased images of minors.

16 posts |