Now "this" is the image I have been looking for!

Posted by Michael Brown on Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:07 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
Natural, colorful, detail, softness, all in one!

As I have mentioned before, I get much richer colors if I stand deep within the bushes/trees and shoot, and I really like the shadows that play in and around the butterfly. Again, that "in their world" look!
I had been waiting for this butterfly to land, and one finally did land right where I wanted him to.
Right behind this clump of buddleias (7 total), there is a old barn that is a rusty red color.
In the front of the barn scattered about are some weeds which have stems that range from rose to pink in color. Add to that some yellow flowers topping their heads.
I decided to stand up from the stool I was sitting on, and line myself up to have that as a background.

This shot here is almost "exactly" what came from the camera.
The only thing done is some selective sharpening, toning down the whites a little bit in PS, and that's it!
Okay, .............. so I got a little "artsy" with the frame! :mrgreen:
Just doing something different for a change.

I took/cropped a certain section of the raw file, enlarged it a bit, added a pinch of blur, then added the jpg shot to the top of that part in PS, then added a drop shadow to give it the feeling of depth in the frame.

Got to go away for a couple of hours, so will get back to more responses tonight. (Boy how this forum moves along fast now!!)
Thanks for looking gang, and any comments appreciated!

Mike
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]

Posted by:
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor

by Harvey Edelman on Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:38 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Good detail and some nice light coming through the wings on the butterfly. Frames aren't my thing but that's just me. You ought to try stopping down between 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop and you'll get the rich colors you like. You can always bring the colors up in editing...it's much harder to bring them down. In summation an interseting and unique view and with merit :)
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Ken Cravillion on Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:20 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Wonderful image. I agree it could be a bit darker but I like it this way too.
Ken Cravillion

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:27 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
Cool shot. Creative frame which zooms my eye right into the subject. Its really helpful to people using this forum to read your comments about what you were looking for and how you proceeded to accomplish your goals.. Thanks MB..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Rich S on Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:10 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Don't think you could ask for a better setting for the butterfly. Very nicely done. I agree on a slight darkening, although the lightness here really emphasizes the lines of the butterfly.

Rich

by Michael Brown on Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:40 pm
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor
Thanks guys!

Actually, and it only happens once in awhile, when I post it or save to web it will lose its color from the original. I don't know what causes this but it seems to happen to the ones that I really want you to see the color within.
This one has a much richer color than what you see here. It does drive me crazy when that happens, and don't know if there is a fix for it or something that I am doing backwards! :roll: :)

Thanks again everyone. Your comments and thoughts are really appreciated!

Mike
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]

by Dennis Olivero on Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:05 pm
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
MB
After you size for the web, image, mode, assign profile sRGB (which is what save for web does to your AdobeRGB space causing the washout). Then adjust saturation and contrast because this color space washes out the colors... Then sharpen, frame, adjust etc until you are happy. At the end when you do a save for web, what you see is what you will get. Hope that makes sense.
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by Laura Stiefel on Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:52 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
I love the creativity shown here! I also really like the framing.
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

by NDCheryl on Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:54 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Another very creative and beautiful shot Michaeil. Your descriptions of the how and why really does help us better understand and appreciate your images. I do think a little more saturation would increase the visual impact here.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by T Williams on Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:09 pm
T Williams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00035
Excellent, Michael! I love the creativity you show in this.
Tom
NSN 0035

by Carol Clarke on Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:00 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Ditto what everyone has said Mike, and gorgeous colour tones here and a dream like quality with the overall image.

Lurking in the undergrowth seems to have fine tuned your creative abilities :wink:

Excellent!

8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Bill Keown on Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:15 am
Bill Keown
Lifetime Member
Member #:00140
From a great to look at image this is right up there. I'm not much on frames as it diminishes the size of the image to look at. From a butterfly perspective, there is a shadow cast accross orange part of the upper wing that kind of bothers me, the other shadows do not. Just my 2 cents.

Love the image

Bill Keown

by stevebein on Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:18 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Michael, Very creative. I do like what you have done with the frame. From my posts you know I too like to play with them also. Very well done and a wonderful image. It just jumps out from the screen.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Bart Breet on Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:55 pm
Bart Breet
Forum Contributor
Wonderful image, very well presented! I like it!

Bart
Bart Breet
http://www.breet-photography.com

by Mark on Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:47 pm
Mark
Forum Contributor
I have got to poke my head in here more often - if only to see the creative stuff coming from you Michael. I really like this - and it is certainly no surprise why you are happy with it.
Mark

15 posts |