Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 

Do you think nature photographers should discuss environmental issues amongst each other, and ultimately does it serve a purpose?
Yes!  80%  [ 75 ]
No!  6%  [ 6 ]
OK, but ultimately of little value  14%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 94
by Mark on Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:45 am
Mark
Forum Contributor
I had a hard time phrasing that last option. I was trying to reflect upon comments in many of the recent topics (and in other forums). There were comments that it ultimately didn't do any good, and people should write their representatives instead of in a post. Well, I see no reason why you can't do both!! Get the valuable information from a thread, know you have a community backing you up, and write your congress people. Discussion (and sometimes arguing) fosters thinking and education.
Mark
Topic Locked  

by Mike Danzenbaker on Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:24 pm
Mike Danzenbaker
Lifetime Member
Member #:00559
E.J. Peiker wrote:I think their interpretation of "ultimately of little value" is more along the lines of "we can discuss it all we want but we won't make a difference" - at least that's how I interpreted that.
This was my interpretation and why I chose option #3. Most of us have polarized views on these topics and very few of our minds will be changed by what we say here. Also, it seems many of the threads here have all but one or two respondents heavily on one side. I used the phrase "preaching to the choir" in an old post somewhere; we tend mostly to simply reinforce our own viewpoints rather than make a difference. We could make more of a difference if we could redirect some of the observations and facts in these threads to an audience which has the power to make decisions (as Mark indicates above).

I don't mean to suggest that having this forum is a bad idea; I actually suggested doing such a thing months ago. I hope it takes off!
"Animal instinct is more amazing than human ingenuity."

Mike
http://www.avesphoto.com
Topic Locked  

by sbourne on Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:40 am
sbourne
Lifetime Member
Member #:00259
I think it is a good idea but I predict that people will get their dander up in this forum. Regular reminders to keep things issues oriented and not personal might help mitigate any potential for problems.
Scott Bourne
http://www.cameraclass.com
http://www.photofocus.com
http://www.mountainschoolpress.com
Topic Locked  

by Shawn Stovall on Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:01 pm
Shawn Stovall
Forum Contributor
Some good points made here. I think it was a great idea to start this forum. People are never going to agree on the topics posted, but I think some debate is healthy, and I for one have learned from some of the threads posted in the forum. Plus I think if the it makes just one person more conscience about the environment and our affect on it, then it has been well used.

Just my 2 cents.
Shawn Stovall

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation"
Topic Locked  

by S_Leeper on Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:44 pm
S_Leeper
Forum Contributor
When I first looked at the question, I thought Yes, but... since (as somewhat stated above) you only have the choir here--and whether you sing the song in B flat or F sharp you are still singing the same basic song of protecting environment, nature...

But then I thought of Ansel Adams (I'm not much of one for photo history, but I do recognize his name). While he didn't have an internet forum, he did discuss his ideas (when possible) with fellow environmentalist. Much of his work encouraged people to be somewhat more friendly to the environment. So I voted yes.

I realize people here (especially me) play a far smaller scale in influcing others, but (as the proverb states) all journeys start with one step.
Topic Locked  

by jray on Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:03 am
jray
Forum Contributor
I love the idea but worry about those who might screw it up which is quite often the case on the Internet.

Good forum moderation can sometimes help...
I desperately need a new car, but I bought a lens instead...
[color=#FF0000][size=85](God, I hate forum profiles on the right side! I feel like I'm watching a tennis match :( )[/size][/color]
John - [email]naturescapes@d30.info[/email]
Topic Locked  

26 posts |