Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 105 posts | 
by matt kuchta on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:27 pm
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
Campbell wrote:I for one fell that this is a step in the right direction for these Great, United States of America. 8)
Time will tell. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer. Heck, I'll buy you a case of your choice of microbrews.

It doesn't sound like there'll be too much development in the short term, because it's a small reserve and not financially lucrative right now (but at $80 a barrel...)

-matt
NSN 0017
Topic Locked  

by Campbell on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:43 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
Matt,
I totaly agree, Who knows?? But we do need to find out.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
http://www.JCVPhoto.com
Topic Locked  

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Watching the news tonight, I am deeply saddened. This is affecting me more than I thought I would. It shows the duplicity of government by attaching this to a budget bill to slide it through. This country has virtually undone all of the environmental progress of the 20th century in a short 5 years.
Topic Locked  

by Campbell on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:59 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
This country has virtually undone all of the environmental progress of the 20th century in a short 5 years.
Negative!
Environmental rules/laws/issues brought on by the environmentalists are still continuously choking this great nation to a slow death.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
Topic Locked  

by Michael Brown on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:00 pm
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It shows the duplicity of government by attaching this to a budget bill to slide it through. This country has virtually undone all of the environmental progress of the 20th century in a short 5 years.
Money under the table really talks!
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]
Topic Locked  

by Geo on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:19 pm
Geo
Forum Contributor
Mark wrote:What a truly sad day. It really makes you lose hope in many things... people tried for so long, and so hard to fight this. It really shows what's important to this administration.
I quite agree mark ... OIL.... no matter where it is :evil:

G
Topic Locked  

by Geo on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:20 pm
Geo
Forum Contributor
Campbell wrote:
This country has virtually undone all of the environmental progress of the 20th century in a short 5 years.
Negative!
Environmental rules/laws/issues brought on by the environmentalists are still continuously choking this great nation to a slow death.
in one word .... crap

To Quote yourself ...

I have always been an 'Outdoors' type of person. I find great comfort and peace in mountainous places. Introduced to the wilderness outdoors at a very young age, I have always felt a strong need to continue my wilderness experiences from hiking the trails to hunting the deep woods and even just a casual drive through the local mountain highways.

I guess alaska does´nt count then huh?

G
Topic Locked  

by Campbell on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:42 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
Geo,
Alaska most certainly counts! Why does everyone have to look at this as the end of nature as we know it for ANWR? I LOVE the outdoors with great passions!! Let there be NO doubt about that!! But I can also see great need to help our nation become less dependant on things we have in our own backyard!
What the hell is wrong with people?! This WILL NOT DESTROY ANWR. Look at the Purdhoe bay (spelling?) Animals have adapted nicely to it, as they will to this. There is no freaking harm done to them, and as for the landscape...Hell, turn your back to that SMALL area and shoot whats infront of you. I understand people being upset with this, I am not thrilled that it has to happen myself. But as a RED BLOODED AMERICAN, I can see the need for it! Open your minds to the possibilities, think positive about it. Then if the amount of oil pulled out of there is less than what they think they can get right now, a BIG, TOLD YOU SO is in order for you all to throw at us.

Let the over reactions continue................ :twisted:
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
Topic Locked  

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I don't know where to even start to rebut this. All I'll say is that this does not reduce American dependence on foreign oil measurably ever in this or the next lifetime even if you adopt the most optimistic projections of how much oil can be recovered there and multiply it times 10.
Topic Locked  

by Campbell on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:52 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
E.J. I agree. The oil from only ANWR will not remove the need to buy oil from other countrie. BUT, it is a start to become less dependant.
If my statement leads any one to think we will become independant of oil from others just from what we get out of ANWR, I did not mean it to sound like that.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
Topic Locked  

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Developing other ways to propel our vehicles just makes much more sense to me but we seem to keep putting it off.
Topic Locked  

by Paul Fusco on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:55 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Campbell wrote:
Negative!
How do you figure????

The environmental policy of this administration is neanderthal-ish IMO. Their policy making decisions have been made behind closed doors with players from a tiny financially vested interest segment of our population. They justify their policies on mistruths and deception, then promote their ideals through propagada in the media.

This is a sad day for the environment in the U.S..
Stay tuned, the Endangered Species Act is still on the target list.

- Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317
Topic Locked  

by Paul Fusco on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:59 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Campbell wrote:E.J. I agree. The oil from only ANWR will not remove the need to buy oil from other countrie. BUT, it is a start to become less dependant.
If my statement leads any one to think we will become independant of oil from others just from what we get out of ANWR, I did not mean it to sound like that.
Jason -

This country will NEVER be energy independant without weaning itself from oil. The simple fact is we don't have enough oil reserves to be independant. ANWR will not change that.

Even if we drill ourselves all he way to China, the only way to get closer to being oil independant would be to tap into their strategic reserves. :shock:

- Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317
Topic Locked  

by Geo on Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:03 pm
Geo
Forum Contributor
Campbell wrote:Geo,
Alaska most certainly counts! Why does everyone have to look at this as the end of nature as we know it for ANWR?

simple... previous experience of drilling in arctic environments ...
I LOVE the outdoors with great passions!! Let there be NO doubt about that!! But I can also see great need to help our nation become less dependant on things we have in our own backyard!
Read EJ´s comment above... I won´t comment further here ( yet )
What the heck is wrong with people?! This WILL NOT DESTROY ANWR. Look at the Purdhoe bay (spelling?)
why not look at the whole north slope instead ?
Animals have adapted nicely to it, as they will to this.
yea right....
There is no freaking harm done to them, and as for the landscape...heck, turn your back to that SMALL area and shoot whats infront of you.
ho de ho...

Small?? LMAO... take a look a t texas... galveston(sp) ....the north sea... the middle east... venezuela .... gimme a break...
I understand people being upset with this, I am not thrilled that it has to happen myself. But as a RED BLOODED AMERICAN, I can see the need for it!
Hmmmm... I´m a cold blooded European ... with all that entails...I´ve travelled the World ( and worked and lived in many parts of it - as well as speaking five languages at last count ) I tend to look at things from a world view, rather than from a narrow minded isolationist imperialistic viewpoint .... there we differ..

Open your minds to the possibilities, think positive about it. Then if the amount of oil pulled out of there is less than what they think they can get right now, a BIG, TOLD YOU SO is in order for you all to throw at us.
I have, I see a pristine natural area being devastated ...... for 18 months of oil ( maybe)

Let the over reactions continue................ :twisted:[/quote]

yup.. let the greed of a few roll over the opinions of the many .... :twisted:

skol :!:

G
Topic Locked  

by Geo on Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:07 pm
Geo
Forum Contributor
Campbell wrote:E.J. I agree. The oil from only ANWR will not remove the need to buy oil from other countrie. BUT, it is a start to become less dependant.

What :!: a start ? are you kidding me? do you really believe that in any shape or form? ... Jason, I am not attacking you or your country but wake up and smell the roses ...please

G
Topic Locked  

by Campbell on Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:10 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
For the last time! I know ANWR will not change our depedancy for oil! To drill in ANWR is a step in the right direction to begin to become non dependant!
The environmental policy of this administration is neanderthal-ish IMO.
Yes, that is your opinion. Mine seems to vary from yours, doesnt make either of us right or wrong now does it?
Developing other ways to propel our vehicles just makes much more sense to me but we seem to keep putting it off.
I agree. Totaly agree. But the problem is that we do not have the other ways perfected yet. So for now we are stuck with oil. Maybe our kids, kids will have better ideas.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
Topic Locked  

by Campbell on Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:15 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
I tend to look at things from a world view, rather than from a narrow minded isolationist imperialistic viewpoint .... there we differ..
Call me what you want, it doesnt bother me a bit. I am standing up for what I believe to be the best for my country, just as the other people here are doing.

I do not feel "attacked" by any one here.
If you all want to take a shot at me, thats perfectly fine. Just slow down, I cant type that fast.
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
Topic Locked  

by Campbell on Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:18 pm
Campbell
Forum Contributor
What :!: a start ? are you kidding me? do you really believe that in any shape or form?
Yes I do!
Jason Vaclavek
NSN 0062
Topic Locked  

by robert hasty on Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:26 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Oh Darn, i see you already have a Robert for this thread :lol: Just kidding :roll:

ZIP,
Robert............
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]
Topic Locked  

by Greg Downing on Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:30 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
It's pretty obvious from reading this thread that non-one is going to convince anyone else of anything, so why not give it a rest? We've had enough heated debates over the last couple of days to last at least a few months.

Perhaps we can use some of this energy to write our local representatives or express our views in a more appropriate forum rather than beating our hard heads together here where we are supposed to be sharing our love for photography.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

Last edited by Greg Downing on Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

105 posts |