Sailfin Blenny Displaying

Posted by Woody Mayhew on Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:21 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
Another Caribbean image from St. Vincent in 2002. This is a male sailfin blenny displaying for females and to announce his territory. I have found groups of these small but audacious little fish (1 1/2" long approx) occasionally on flat rubble bottoms. The males will rise six inches or so up into the water column, and rapidly raise and lower their large dorsal a few times like waving a flag fin to advertise their presence in their territory and to attract females and then zip quickly back into their small holes. This one would not come completely out of his hole because I was inside his comfort zone. I needed a 105 lens or a 105 with a 2X teleconverter to give me more working distance (I have those but not with me on this dive). I could see other sailfins up in the water off both my elbows displaying but my subject would not relax with my "big eyes" (port and strobes) looking directly at him. Again, it pays to move slowly and look very closely all around not only on reefs but also out in the open to find all the wonderful but tiny things waiting to be photographed.
Nikon D-100, Nexus D-100 housing, Sigma 28-105 Macro Zoom, two See and Sea YS-120 strobes on Manual Exposure 1/2 power with diffusers, f22 @ 1/125th, ISO 200.

Posted by:
Woody Mayhew
Forum Contributor

by ALMA on Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:35 am
ALMA
Forum Contributor
Woody,

What a wonderful capture of this little one.. Great clarity on his eye and mouth. It sounds like you had to work to get this pic.. Thank you also for the history on him..
Alma

by Dennis Olivero on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:25 am
Dennis Olivero
Lifetime Member
Member #:00020
This rocks Woody. Even though photos dont always show movement, you certainly get the feeling he is doing the hello hoola out of his hole here :D .. Good work..
[b]Dennis Olivero[/b]
[url=http://www.northernlightnaturephotography.com][b]Northern Light Nature Photography[/b][/url]
NSN 20

by moose henderson on Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:53 pm
moose henderson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00193
I just recently started looking at the underwater images, wow-should pay more attention to these, nicely done
moose henderson
Wildlife and Nature Photography
FB: https://www.facebook.com/moosehendersonphoto/

by Rich Demler on Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:40 pm
Rich Demler
Forum Contributor
As a novice snorkeler, I'm in awe at the wonderful underwater images, such as this one, that are posted here for the rest of us to enjoy and dream of shooting some day.
Thanks for sharing Woody.
Rich.
Rich Demler

New Website http://www.richdemler.com

by mrhughj on Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:14 pm
mrhughj
Forum Contributor
Another superb image, with great information about the critter provided!! Seems as if we might be able to interest others in UW photography by sharing our shots. Wait until they see how difficult the underwater environment can be!!!!!!

Hugh

by scubastu on Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:01 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Woody's collection of St. Vincent photos sure has me drooling about going there.

Great shot!

stu
Stewart L. Sy

SLS Photography, When Your Underwater Images Matter...
www.stewartsy.com

by ebkw on Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:53 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Unbelievable detail on this little fish. Thanks for providing all the information with your shots.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by Mark Boranyak on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:26 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
These guys are soooo difficult to capture. Great shot, Woody.

Mark

9 posts |