Motif- Mackinac Bridge- daylight,

Posted by stevebein on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
Ken's night image inspired me to try working with my shot.
We were returning from the upper peninsula and it was near mid day when we came to the bridge. The light was less than favorable but there as a sign for "viewpoint", so I turned off to see what was there , and went past the viewpoint to a place where I could get some foreground. The only option was a silhouette shot with the tree and the rivlet in the foreground. As I was working in photoshop, I was amazed to see how much shadow detail and color I was able to bring out on the tree plus to get some blue reflection in the little creek on the lower left. All in all I am more pleased than I thought I would be given what I started with. I did have a nice sky with angry looking clouds and some blue so that wa a plus.
When we returned, I saw the viewpoint view and it was disappointing with only water foreground and the bridge. Not a wonderful view, except for night shooting.
1Ds, 28-135 IS @85mm, ISO 250, 125@f16
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

Last edited by stevebein on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137

by Ken Cravillion on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:37 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Very nice shot of the Mackinac.
Ken Cravillion

by stevebein on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:48 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
This is what it looked like before working in photoshop. It seems as if digital is somewhat like negative film in its shadow capture.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:57 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Digital does behave a little more like negative film on the shadow detail side due to about 1 stop more dynamic range toward the dark side than low contrast slide film (Astia) and two stops more than hig contrast slide film (Velvia), This is a very nice shot - the original is much better than the second one.

by Laura Stiefel on Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:31 pm
Laura Stiefel
Lifetime Member
Member #:00229
Wonderful PS technique Steve. I really like the original post. This is a relatively short drive for me. I really have to make it up there sometime.
Laura Stiefel
[b]NSN 0229[/b]

5 posts |