Another Pintail

Posted by rbuss on Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:30 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
Lets see about this Pintail. My main concern right now is the crop. Does it look too tight? I know it's tight and I tried to open it up with the cloning and everything looked fine until I got to the reflection then that started looking strange like it had mini ripples.
And without a green cast this time 8)
Buzz
San Diego

Last edited by rbuss on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
rbuss
Forum Contributor

by KK Hui on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:52 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Would have left more room at bottom otherwise is fine in terms of framing. Like it a bit darker and more contrast too.

Buzz, the image looks large viz 800x520 pixels. Please refer to our Posting Guideline on image size allowed. Keep it to within 650 pixels on the longest side unless it is a pano presentation which can be up to 800 x 400 pixels. Thanks!
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Bob Boner on Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:05 am
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
Wonderful detail, but I think it is too crowded for my taste. Even when I back away from my monitor it looks crowded. Thanks for sharing.
Bob Boner

by chriscove on Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:29 am
chriscove
Forum Contributor
A bit tight but wonderful detail and colors. A beautiful duck!
Christopher Cove
Rochester,NY
www.covenaturephotography.com

by Mike Wilson on Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:50 am
Mike Wilson
Forum Contributor
Simply fantastic image Buzz. I love this angle and the soft light on the scene. I still am seeing a slight color cast in the whites and I also love vertical portraits so I did a little work on this and added some USM. Not better, just different. As far as your composition, I would only add some on the bottom if there is some in the original. I wish this was mine.
Mike Wilson
San Diego, Ca
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0047[/url]

by rbuss on Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:09 pm
rbuss
Forum Contributor
Thanks for everyone that has contributed to making me a better photographer. I lost a lot off the bottom because things were really skewed on the original so I had to rotate the image more than a bit.

None-the-less excuses don't make a photo more acceptable. :oops: I just keep getting stuck on that "fill the frame" mentality.
Buzz
San Diego

by Michael Dossett on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:51 pm
Michael Dossett
Forum Contributor
beauty of a duck! And I love this light. I've never dreamed of being able to get this close to one too! While I am left wanting more room on the bottom, have you considered matching it by taking a tad off the top? Maybe so that the amount of space above the head in the frame is about the same as the amount of space below the bird. I think while it doesn't help the tightness in the frame any, it feels more balanced to me that way. Just a thought and a very nice shot in any event.

by Steve Sage on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:02 pm
Steve Sage
Lifetime Member
Member #:00058
I think Mike's vert crop is the perfect solution for this. It makes a stronger image and accentuates all the best of this tight portrait. Great detail in the bill, head and neck and wonderful light and exposure of the whites. Listing your camera and lens and exposure would help us all.
Steve Sage
Michigan
http://www.sageimages.com

by rbuss on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:47 pm
rbuss
Forum Contributor
Thanks to all. The camera used was a Nikon D2h with my 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR. EXIF data says it was f9, 1/60, ISO 200, no flash, 150mm, shot in RAW, and hand held. VR; aint it a beautiful thing. I like to shoot RAW to give myself every chance I can to get the shot right even if I didn't get it right to start with. Nice to have when you notice that your white balance was off.

I was laying on my belly getting this shot so that's where the perspective came from. This was also shot at the Wild Animal Park in San Diego and this is one of the wild birds that fly in for the free lunch so I'm not really shooting fish in a barrel.
Buzz
San Diego

by ebkw on Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:02 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Buzz, I like the full frame your posted and I like Mike's version too. I like the light and exposure, detail and the softness of the colours. I don't find it too tight. I think you have done a fine job.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by rbuss on Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:06 pm
rbuss
Forum Contributor
ebkw wrote:Buzz, I like the full frame your posted and I like Mike's version too. I like the light and exposure, detail and the softness of the colours. I don't find it too tight. I think you have done a fine job.
Well thank you.
Buzz
San Diego

by Tomasz on Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:19 am
Tomasz
Forum Contributor
Fine image. Both versions work well IMO.
Tomasz Popek

by rbuss on Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:24 am
rbuss
Forum Contributor
What I really like about the first image is the trademark tail. You can see where the duck got it's name from. I was hoping to get a bit more DOF to illustrate that.
Buzz
San Diego

by Georgina Salup on Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:48 am
Georgina Salup
Forum Contributor
Beautiful duck. Never seen one of this. I love it.
Georgina

by fredcor on Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:47 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
It is tight, but, it's also a marvelous close shot of a Pintail.
Frederick Lat Correa

15 posts |