Storm Clouds over classic location

Posted by stevebein on Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
The Grand Tetons are a favorite location of the public and photographers. We arrived late afternoon in a light rain with wonderful angry storm clouds above the peaks. There were some neat but unidentified yellow flowers in the foregound. I did crop a sliver off the bottom since the location was from a parking lot. My only nit is that I could not bring up the darker center of the frame, but the rest makes it up for me. I think I will be printing this and hangind it on the wall.

I really like the Tetons. Wish I could spend more time there instead of Los Angeles. But, it is always nice to return home where you can SEE the air.
Fuji 617. Exposure unrecorded. 105mm lens, aperture tight. This is on medium format, 6mmx17mm or 2 1/4x6 3/4". It will not scan in my Nikon SC 4000. I only have an Epson 2450 for larger than 35mm.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

Last edited by stevebein on Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137

by Roger Rouch on Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:12 pm
Roger Rouch
Forum Contributor
This is nice. One of my personal checks for a photo is that it makes me want to be there. This one really does it for me. Weather like this gets me going. I guess your nit is my thought , too. I'd bet a commercial scan might bring out more of the center and make a great print!

by Ken Cravillion on Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:54 am
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Seems a bit shot on the long side for 6x17. Did you crop the sides?
Ken Cravillion

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's a very dramatic shot and I like the flowers in the foreground. Did you bracket at all - if so, perhaps you could find a frame where the middle ground has more exposure and combine images to get more detail in that area.

by blovius on Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:22 am
blovius
Forum Contributor
Has anyone else here experienced the joy of modern color negative film together with a scan software called Vuescan?

The range of color negative film far exceeds transparency film and Vuescan software, created expressly for color negative scanning, captures remarkable detail from the deepest shadows to brightest highlights. I usually have to ADD contrast to images taken on a sunny day.
[url=http://www.adirondacklight.net][b]AdirondackLight[/b][/url] [b][i]and[/i][/b] [url=http://landscapist.squarespace.com/][b]The Landscapist[/b][/url]
Mark Hobson

My photographs aim at being true, not at being beautiful because, [i]what is true[/i] is most often beautiful.

by stevebein on Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:53 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
mark,
You are absolutely right about the increase of range in print film as opposed to transparency. I am aware of that and have used portra when shooting pro basketball games for that reason especially. But it would not apply for this situation, especially since I used Velvia. If I had used a lower contrast negative film the degree of contrast would have been much less noticeable. On the other hand, film editors at the agencies and my agent do not take anything other than transparency, so, though I know about it, the advice is not useable for me.
STeve
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Roger Rouch on Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:09 pm
Roger Rouch
Forum Contributor
I have used negative film on occation for this reason, or just because it all that I had at the time. In some ways it does improve high contrast. I was just reading some information on the West Coast Imaging web site. They say that inspite of this, transparencies give a better scan and print 90% of the time. I would guess one thing that helps is a scanner with a dMax of something like 4.2. If you're interested, it might give some decent reading.

7 posts |