A dirt Road beckons

Posted by stevebein on Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:50 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Years ago, I was shown a photo by Barry Howe, an 8x10. Barry was a fantastic landscape photographer. His shot, Autumn Road inspired me to try to shoot something similar. Though he returned to the spot he made the shot, he was never able to recapture that same feeling. His image was published on magazine covers, calendars, posters and other places. One of his most valuable images. This is not at that level. If I could have my wishes, I would have been there the next week. The peak colors were not there yet , but I was and this is what I saw . The colors were not near the peak., While his road was red leaf covered asphalt, mine is only slightly lined with the red leaves and the road is puddled dirt. But I like the slight S curve of the road, the arborlike overhang and I will keep trying to find my ultimate "Autumn Road"

1Ds, ISO 200, 28-135@75mm, .8sec@f13. There was a slight breeze giving some of the leaves a softer appearance.
Comments welcome.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

Last edited by stevebein on Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137

by Ken Cravillion on Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:33 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Upper Michigan? My truck definitely has more rattles after this weekends forest road travels. :roll:
Ken Cravillion

by Bill Ruppel on Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:11 am
Bill Ruppel
Forum Contributor
Steve,
Nice shot. The bend in the road makes me want continue traveling along it. I spend a lot of time on roads like this one, and wish I was there right now with my camera in hand. I think it would be even more dramatic when the leaves were at peak color. Thanks for sharing.
Bill Ruppel
ruppfish@aol.com

by stevebein on Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:34 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
I agree with the desire for a more peak colors shot, however, I was two thousand miles away when that occurred. This was shot on our last day there. We just drove down a dirt road and turned left on another. It still has wonderful memories for me and works as is, with dreams of peak to be realized some later date.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think a polarizer would have really helped "peak" the colors here. I like the composition.

by Roger Rouch on Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Roger Rouch
Forum Contributor
I like this quite a bit. I think this is close to one of those ultimate you are looking for, Steve. I guess having the vegetation be a little more lush or appearing more lush would put this closer to the ulitmate for me, but darn this is getting close by me eye.

by stevebein on Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:01 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
EJ,
Thanks, sometimes I forget to use the polarizer. It is always handy, but you know how rushing at the last minute works. I will make a point to remember to keep it in my vest and handy more often.
I kept looking for an arbor like setting and finally found this one, but before the peak time. Consider what this would have looked like a week later with a polarizer. Wow, I have to get back next year at the right time.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

7 posts |