Motif- "MOH" comments?

Posted by stevebein on Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:43 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
"MOH equals Mohlerization. A technique I spend months working with. Essentially, the end product is created by taking a print, moistening it and engraving it somehow. I used color gradients to make it work. I take the engraving to the bond layer between the emulsion and paper, giving a goldish tone. If the paper is cut into, then the line is white. Different tools can be used to give different effects.
I used to take a slide of the finished print and then scan that. Now I can scan the print and put it into Photoshop.
I did that this time and then adjusted contrast.
This shot was taken when I was at anchor at Isla Mujeres, near Cancun. On the image, the lights from Cancun are form the central goldish effect. The overly contrasty and saturated image posted has different effects. I like the creativity of this method. It is like a cloisene (SP?) instead of a photo.
Hope you like the effect. I have several hundreds of these. The "MOH" process time to work varies. I have done it in 10 minutes and up to 8 hours at times. The more complex I don' t like as much as the simplier ones.
Shot in about 1990 probably with a Olympus IS3- no exposure data and they would be way off after all the processing done.
Comments appreciated. Obviously, this is not posted as shot.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

Posted by:
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137

by Paul Skoczylas on Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:33 pm
Paul Skoczylas
Forum Contributor
Member #:00284
Well that's just wierd! Cool, though. Can you post the original image for comparison?

-Paul

by stevebein on Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:20 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
Paul,
I will have to search since it has been about 12 years since that shot was taken.
I do have another one I played with in "Hue"
Wierder. I might have overdone the colors with the framing????
One of the problems with the scan is that the sky is so grainy. I had to isolate it and then use gaussian blur. It does grab you, though.
I don't think most on NSN are prepared for this art form of shot and treatment, but you never know. I just like to do things a little different and this pleased me. ORiginally it was a hand done thing, but I think it can be done in PS now. I just need to get a graphics board.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Ken Cravillion on Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:22 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Hey, you made your own auroras!!! :D
Ken Cravillion

by Harvey Edelman on Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:16 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
I like this! Certainly different and creative.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

5 posts |