« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 23 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:18 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
The American Ornithological Society (AOS) announced that in an effort to address past wrongs and engage far more people in the enjoyment, protection, and study of birds, it will change all English bird names currently named after people within its geographic jurisdiction. 

The AOS will also change the process by which English names are selected for bird species. The effort will begin in 2024 and will focus initially on 70–80 bird species that occur primarily within the U.S. and Canada.

The Cooper's Hawk is one of the birds that will get a new name.   It was named after William Cooper, a New York scientist.  I can see new editions of Sibley's Guide to Birds.  I have a copy on my iPhone.  

I am not sure but maybe the Northern Cardinal (the cardinal is named after cardinals of the Roman Catholic Church, who wear distinctive red robes and caps) will also be a bird to get a new name.

Some birds to get a new name

CBC article

by dougc on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:34 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
One of the more ridiculous things I’ve seen in many years.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:16 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote: One of the more ridiculous things I’ve seen in many years.
Absolutely agree!!! They even want to get rid of Audubon's name..

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Baywing on Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:36 pm
Baywing
Forum Contributor
Is there a list of changes? I hope the Harris Hawk is one of them, and they get their original name (Baywing Hawk) back.
Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/baywing

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:19 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
There are actually 263 names to be changed. PC has gone too far this time.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:46 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
In the Scientific American article, Ken Kaufman, a bird expert and authour of several field guides had this to say, referencing the mixed responses to the announcement, “A lot of the older people are opposed to it, and I can understand that,” he says. “I came around from being totally opposed to the idea to being totally in favor of it."  He goes on to give reasons why.  

American Scientific

I don't think any owls were named after someone?   The ones I know have more descriptive names.   Some of the genus names were named after a Greek Goddess.

6 owls named after a Greek Goddess

A possible impedus for the renaming of birds.

NPR article.

Bird Names For Birds.

Because birds don't need eponymous or honorific common names

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:01 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Baywing wrote: Is there a list of changes?  I hope the Harris Hawk is one of them, and they get their original name (Baywing Hawk) back.
There are some obvious ones including Audubon's Warbler and Anna's Hummingbird,  Others include Wilson's warbler, Bachman's sparrow, Cooper's hawk, Stellar's jay and many others.  They had already changed the name of one bird in 2021 after an unsuccessful attempt to do so in 2019.  A small prairie bird that had been named after a Confederate General, McCown was renamed to Thick-billed Longspur. 

The Long-Tailed Duck used to be called OldSquaw before its name change in 2000.

Anyone think of other U.S. and Canadian birds named after people? 

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The comments after the following article say a lot:

https://americanornithology.org/america ... er-people/

Joe

by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:11 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Change is never easy but think all major birding orgganizations in North America support the AOS decision.  Starting in 2024 we may start to see some of the new bird names in eBird which just about everyone uses to report / record bird sightings.  

Can someone start a group to petition the unblocking of great gray owl and northern hawk owl sightings on eBird?  j/k   :)

"Bird Protection Quebec and its working group on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity support the American Ornithological Society's recent announcement that, in an effort to address past wrongs and engage more people in the enjoyment, protection and study of birds, it will change the English names of bird species that make reference to a person. We are eager to see these upcoming changes to common nomenclature for birds in Canada and in the U.S."

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:07 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
While it's going to be a pain in the butt to change everything over on my website and in my brain, having an engineering background, I am all in favor of some logical standardization of bird naming.  I certainly can understand the emotional attachment to a name like Audubon but I do favor a more standardized approach.  I hope this also brings with it some corrections to birds like the American Robin, which isn't a Robin at all...

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:08 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Maybe we should just give them letters and numbers based on average length...B1 for the largest and so on. But then we might get to B52 and it's a bomber, so that would upset some people too. lol
I agree, it's going to be a renaming nightmare not to mention remembering them.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:12 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I would have hoped they could find something better to spend their time on.

by EGrav on Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:07 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
What a waste of time and resources.

by david fletcher on Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:14 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
SantaFeJoe wrote: The comments after the following article say a lot:

https://americanornithology.org/america ... er-people/

Joe
There was one PC comment that appealed to me Joe.  (seemed to be the only one applying common sense, an old approach that has little value in the modern world "of lets be morally right" and pc correctness.  (look for P C in the comments section replied on 11.03.23... :wink:).
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:13 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
If we do this, we should go after the scientific names as well.  Clintonia genus is out.  Then the plants too!  This is nuts. Pipsissewa (cherokee aka stripped wintergreen) is in and Clinton's Lily (NY governor) out.

Last edited by Wildflower-nut on Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:01 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote: If we do this, we should go after the scientific names as well.  Then the plants too!  This is nuts. Pipsissewa in Clinton's Lily out.
Next, it will be street names and cities, towns, counties, National Parks, and state parks. I say move forward and don't worry about the long ago past.

Joe

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:07 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote: If we do this, we should go after the scientific names as well.  Then the plants too!  This is nuts. Pipsissewa in Clinton's Lily out.
Next, it will be street names and cities, towns, counties, National Parks, and state parks. I say move forward and don't worry about the long ago past.

Joe

Some of that is already being done. Committees sometimes need to find work to keep themselves busy. 

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:19 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Joe

Some of that is already being done. Committees sometimes need to find work to keep themselves busy. 
and I thought it was to spend money and justify their jobs.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:52 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Joe

and I thought it was to spend money and justify their jobs.
Yeah, that, too, lol. But seriously, it will make a mess of guidebooks and my catalogue. I don't think I'll rename them until I submit the images for something. I'll keep them the same in my library. I still can't get used to Blue-headed Vireo, I haven't a hope if a hundred species change names. lol

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:52 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It's bad enough that the Rufous-sided Towhee is now the Spotted Towhee. I like certain names like the Stellar's Jay. I wish this wasn't happening.

Joe

23 posts |