« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by WJaekel on Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:00 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
So far, I haven't used internal HDDs over 8 TB but I'm  thinking of purchasing a drive with higher capacity (i.e. Seagate ironwolf 10TB or 12TB), eventually also the pro version for use in the NAS or internally in my PC. OS and programs are installed on SSD, of course. However, I'm unsure about the longevity of those Helium-filled HDDs. Of course, the manufacturers state that the sealing is safe and that there's no difference in reliability and longevity to the classic HDDs. They talk about a life span of 5 years which actually is pretty short IMO, though. Maybe their prospected life span is just based on the warranty period. I've seen controversial reports as for the risk of a potential leakage and loss of the extreme fugative Helium over time which could easily ruin all your data, of course. So I'm interested in the experiences and opinions of experts and users with regard of the Helium HDDs.

Thank you in advance
Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Knocking on wood but I've been using high capacity drives in the 12-20TB class for a long time now, basically since they first became available and have not yet had a failure. I don't know how many years that is but it's way more than 5 years.

2 posts |