All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:58 am
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Over the last 15 years or so the cameras we use to capture stills have evolved to include video and over that time we went from SD to HD to UHD and now even 8K.  This is no longer a side capability as many of us are now shooting video as a common part of our field workflow.  We've had this particular section, "Video Sharing & Discussion", for quite a while now but let me suggest a site change to put video on a more equal footing with stills. Here's what I recommend.

Organize the video section more-or-less like the stills section which is broken down as:

1.  Photography Topics

2.  Photography Equipment

3.  Digital Topics

and

4.  Printing & Photofinishing

I would recommend the video section to be somewhat like this:

1.  Video Topics

2.  Video Equipment

3.  Video Editing

4.  Video Distribution

As an example of why I think we need to expand our site let me provide a link that illustrates the artistic and even scientific value video can provide.  A guy by the name of Mike Oblinski specializes in capturing storms but he does so in a hybrid way using time-lapse images to create video.  The quality and composition
is top notch, but for me the use of time-lapse reveals things not perceptible at normal speed.  It makes for some stunning video BUT also reveals the dynamics of storm propagation in ways the meteorologists would benefit from.  Here's a link to his latest video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9bv5S-_1Gw

So, in summary, I think its time we update the site to more properly address the changing nature of photography and the hybrid nature of that work that many of us engage in.  I would also suggest that doing so would increase site traffic and expose our work to a larger audience.

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Brian, while your idea certainly has merit, in my opinion there simply isn't enough traffic in this age of instagram, ticktock, facebook, etc to justify expanding the site in the way you suggested.  The video section we do have has very little traffic and it just doesn't seem like the effort and expense to set it all up makes sense given the traffic.  I don't think there are any rules in the current forums that would prevent discussion of video capability and software in the existing structure.

2 posts |