« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Professional on Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:14 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
Hi all,

It has been long time since i come here or read topics/articles or discussions or even ask, i got busy in life that i feel like i am lost, now i try to reset or rearrange my life again if i can even if late, and one of those things is to get back to photography, including sports photography.
I still use my old gear including 1DX and 1D3 as cameras and EF 300mm f2.8L IS mk1 + 70-200 2.8MKII and sometimes 100-400 mk1 or 85mm or 135mm when needed.

For lenses parts i don't think i want to change or upgrade, even my old 300 is still shining with my 1DX, it was not great with 1D3 for a while but in the beginning with 1D MarkII N which i sold and 1D3, but later i felt it gets worse with 1D3 until i bought 1DX and WOWZZZA, it is firing again, and i already upgraded 70-200 2.8IS from mk1 to mkII and it is super, for 100-400 the value is bad so i don't use this lens much and no plan for upgrading it at all yet.

For cameras part, i still have 1D3, and few old cameras such as 1DsII/1DsIII/5D, if i could sell that 1D3 and 1DsII for example then i might think about getting another camera fast for actions be it sports or birding and wildlife, and i keep looking at some mirrorless cameras of R series more than DSLRs, so what can you recommend me to buy these days for sports and say birding using my old existing lenses? Not able to afford 1DX3.
Tareq Alhamrani

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:25 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
Depending on how much money you want to spend, the R5, R6 or R7 would work well for birds and sports and you could use an adapter to use your EF lenses.
Axel Hildebrandt

by Professional on Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:05 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
Axel Hildebrandt wrote: Depending on how much money you want to spend, the R5, R6 or R7 would work well for birds and sports and you could use an adapter to use your EF lenses.
I am not sure how much money i can spend for it, that depends on if i sell some of my old cameras first, or some of those cameras will be around for longer time so i buy them as brand new and not as used, also depends on my situations if i need replacements or upgrade so much, but i try not stay in big gap between models and years, my last cameras i bought were 1DX and A7R between 2011 and 2014, this is nearly 9-12 years ago, i am sure many bought several cameras models in those years newer than mine.

If using the adapter, how good AF performing then? 

Thank you very much for responding. 
Tareq Alhamrani

by Axel Hildebrandt on Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:25 am
Axel Hildebrandt
Member #:00941
The adapter has no optical elements and no negative impact on AF performance: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... l/overview
Axel Hildebrandt

by Professional on Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:59 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
Axel Hildebrandt wrote: The adapter has no optical elements and no negative impact on AF performance: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... l/overview
Excellent, thank you very much!
Tareq Alhamrani

by Karl Egressy on Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:55 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
The R5 is a good camera but expensive. I always use it in electronic mode. It shoots 20 frames per second that I find too many. I end up going home with 1500 plus frames from a shooting. Also you don't have the feedback as it makes no sound. The R7 is cheaper and it shoots only 15 frames per second and you can set it to make a sound, which is a welcomed feedback for me. It seems that the focusing of the R5
is better but the R7 is almost as good most of the time. Sometimes though I have a whole series of OOF imagers with the R7 especially BIF and I couldn't figure out why. Maybe my setting is not the best for BIF on the R7.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:05 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Karl Egressy wrote: The R5 is a good camera but expensive. I always use it in electronic mode. It shoots 20 frames per second that I find too many. I end up going home with 1500 plus frames from a shooting. Also you don't have the feedback as it makes no sound. The R7 is cheaper and it shoots only 15 frames per second and you can set it to make a sound, which is a welcomed feedback for me. It seems that the focusing of the R5
is better but the R7 is almost as good most of the time. Sometimes though I have a whole series of OOF imagers with the R7 especially BIF and I couldn't  figure out why. Maybe my setting is not the best for BIF on the R7.
Hi Karl. A couple of questions. Is the rolling shutter effect on the R5 noticeable for bif? Can you dial down the fps and can you set it to make a shutter noise like you can with the nikons?

by Karl Egressy on Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:33 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Hi Scott, I did not notice any rolling shutter effect on the wings. The background had no trees or any vertical objects, so I don't know. I cannot dial down the fps in electronics and I never use the mechanical. I cannot set it to make a noise, like R7 and Z8 do. One of the features of the Z8 I really like that I can set the shutter speed almost anywhere I want to. I'll try to shoot Hummingbirds in flight using 1/4000 electronics soon with the R5 and will let you know the results. The R7 has very bad rolling shutter.
I actually just looked BIF images of a Great Egret from the other day taken with R5. The reeds in the background are staight, no sigh of rolling shutter.

by Professional on Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:55 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
It means R7 maybe not the great choice for BIF or birding in general and wildlife? I mean i was thinking about a replacement and cheap camera for my Canon 1D series cameras, i can't afford another 1-series now, i still have 1DX and 1D3, i want to replace that 1D3 first, later if i can get money i might replace that 1DX too, i do sports more, but i want to have a camera great for birding too.
Tareq Alhamrani

by Karl Egressy on Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:48 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
The R7 is a good choice for Bird photography in general. It could be good for BIF as well but not in my hands. There are videos on the Internet that tells you the settings. Watch more of them and try to customize it for your shooting style. I just like the R5 better for BIF, it fits my shooting style better, if I have any LOL.

by Professional on Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:04 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
Karl Egressy wrote: The R7 is a good choice for Bird photography in general. It could be good for BIF as well but not in my hands. There are videos on the Internet that tells you the settings. Watch more of them and try to customize it for your shooting style. I just like the R5 better for BIF, it fits my shooting style better, if I have any LOL.
Ok, so for i can just go with R7 then, i don't do birding, but i like to have the choice if i will, my house's garden has some trees around with few birds, in summer i can't, while in winter if the weather is cool nice i could try to do birds in still more, and sometimes BIF, i still have 1DX as i said for that if i have to, it is just in sports i use two cameras sometimes, one with larger fixed scope and one with average telephoto zoom [70-200 of course], so i want to use a better newer camera with 70-200 rather than old outdated 1D3, i am not saying that a replacement will be for BIF surely, but if it can perform better than 1D3 or even 1DX then why not, it is between R6II or R7 or your favorite R5.
Tareq Alhamrani

by flygirl on Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:41 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
There is so much info to gather. I have clients who are mostly Nikon and Canon. This is how I see it. First, for your present gear, you will not get much. The used market has been flooded with DSLR's, both bodies and lens. I just sold my Nikon 500 f/4E, FL to Adorama, no private takers, at $3000. It was a $10,000 lens new. Second, the Canon choices of mirrorless lens are not that great and the mirrorless Canon 70-200 f/2.8 will not take a TC, which is something, I do not understand, but there you go. The other popular mirrorless of Canon's is the 100-500, but it is f/7.1. I am helping two Canon people in switching to Nikon, the Z8. If you want to keep with Canon, just double check the lens first. The R5 does not have a stacked sensor which makes the AF so fast and eliminates the rolling shutter. For right now the only Canon body with a Stacked Sensor is the R3 with 24MP. The R5 is a FX without a stacked sensor and is 45MP, the R7 is a DX with 33MP and no stacked sensor. Nikon has two bodies with a stacked sensor and both at 45MP, the Z9 and Z8. Nikon has a much better choice of lens for sure and their Z 70-200 f/2.8 can take a TC. Anyway, do your homework and make a choice, I guess. If you need any help in your decision please reach out. My email is naturesportal@gmail.com.

by Professional on Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:04 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
flygirl wrote: There is so much info to gather.  I have clients who are mostly Nikon and Canon.  This is how I see it.  First, for your present gear, you will not get much.  The used market has been flooded with DSLR's, both bodies and lens.  I just sold my Nikon 500 f/4E, FL to Adorama, no private takers, at $3000.  It was a $10,000 lens new.  Second, the Canon choices of mirrorless lens are not that great and the mirrorless Canon 70-200 f/2.8 will not take a TC, which is something, I do not understand, but there you go.  The other popular mirrorless of Canon's is the 100-500, but it is f/7.1.  I am helping two Canon people in switching to Nikon, the Z8.  If you want to keep with Canon, just double check the lens first.  The R5 does not have a stacked sensor which makes the AF so fast and eliminates the rolling shutter.  For right now the only Canon body with a Stacked Sensor is the R3 with 24MP.  The R5 is a FX without a stacked sensor and is 45MP, the R7 is a DX with 33MP and no stacked sensor.  Nikon has two bodies with a stacked sensor and both at 45MP, the Z9 and Z8.  Nikon has a much better choice of lens for sure and their Z 70-200 f/2.8 can take a TC.  Anyway, do your homework and make a choice, I guess.  If you need any help in your decision please reach out.  My email is naturesportal@gmail.com.
Hi Nancy!

Well, i am a Canon user since very long time ago, maybe not as long as you but long enough, and i am being happy with Canon ever since, i don't have bad reason to convert from Canon anyway, i just stopped photography for long time due to some situations, but i am deciding to get back to it sooner or later, and i feel like i should at least upgrade something, i respect Nikon, but Canon didn't disappoint really, i do have many lenses from them, i have no plan to move to Nikon and then sell my bodies and lenses of Canon to get Nikon, i am sure there are people who also moved from Nikon to Canon, i know those two companies competing each other for years, in fact i even started to go with another companies such as Sony, and because i got into astrophotography i am not planning to "CHANGE" my entire photography gear, but it is not harm if i can change one or two of my old cameras, lenses will stay, in fact i still have Canon bodies since 2007-2008, which means i am not like some who change every 1-2 years, and i failed to sell my old cameras or lenses much except like 1 camera and two lenses only.

I have to decide if i will do birding much or not, BIF or not, because for sports i kept using my 1D2N with 1D3 until i bought 1DX and sold 1D2N and just using 1DX next to 1D3 and happy with both, i just feel that 1D3 is now too old and better i upgrade to something newer, if that newer can do better than 1DX then i can use 1DX as backup, it is still a strong nice camera for sports, my old Canon 300mm f2.8L IS mk1 did shine again with 1DX when i was giving up with 1D2N and 1D3, i think with newer cleaner cameras most of my old lenses will just get alive, i liked most of my lenses with new cameras more than with old cameras, but i try to focus on fast cameras as this is only i can try to upgrade, for full frame with landscape or nightscape or portraits i don't have any problems or lack of performance/quality.
Tareq Alhamrani

by flygirl on Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:04 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Professional wrote:
flygirl wrote: There is so much info to gather.  I have clients who are mostly Nikon and Canon.  This is how I see it.  First, for your present gear, you will not get much.  The used market has been flooded with DSLR's, both bodies and lens.  I just sold my Nikon 500 f/4E, FL to Adorama, no private takers, at $3000.  It was a $10,000 lens new.  Second, the Canon choices of mirrorless lens are not that great and the mirrorless Canon 70-200 f/2.8 will not take a TC, which is something, I do not understand, but there you go.  The other popular mirrorless of Canon's is the 100-500, but it is f/7.1.  I am helping two Canon people in switching to Nikon, the Z8.  If you want to keep with Canon, just double check the lens first.  The R5 does not have a stacked sensor which makes the AF so fast and eliminates the rolling shutter.  For right now the only Canon body with a Stacked Sensor is the R3 with 24MP.  The R5 is a FX without a stacked sensor and is 45MP, the R7 is a DX with 33MP and no stacked sensor.  Nikon has two bodies with a stacked sensor and both at 45MP, the Z9 and Z8.  Nikon has a much better choice of lens for sure and their Z 70-200 f/2.8 can take a TC.  Anyway, do your homework and make a choice, I guess.  If you need any help in your decision please reach out.  My email is naturesportal@gmail.com.
Hi Nancy!

Well, i am a Canon user since very long time ago, maybe not as long as you but long enough, and i am being happy with Canon ever since, i don't have bad reason to convert from Canon anyway, i just stopped photography for long time due to some situations, but i am deciding to get back to it sooner or later, and i feel like i should at least upgrade something, i respect Nikon, but Canon didn't disappoint really, i do have many lenses from them, i have no plan to move to Nikon and then sell my bodies and lenses of Canon to get Nikon, i am sure there are people who also moved from Nikon to Canon, i know those two companies competing each other for years, in fact i even started to go with another companies such as Sony, and because i got into astrophotography i am not planning to "CHANGE" my entire photography gear, but it is not harm if i can change one or two of my old cameras, lenses will stay, in fact i still have Canon bodies since 2007-2008, which means i am not like some who change every 1-2 years, and i failed to sell my old cameras or lenses much except like 1 camera and two lenses only.

I have to decide if i will do birding much or not, BIF or not, because for sports i kept using my 1D2N with 1D3 until i bought 1DX and sold 1D2N and just using 1DX next to 1D3 and happy with both, i just feel that 1D3 is now too old and better i upgrade to something newer, if that newer can do better than 1DX then i can use 1DX as backup, it is still a strong nice camera for sports, my old Canon 300mm f2.8L IS mk1 did shine again with 1DX when i was giving up with 1D2N and 1D3, i think with newer cleaner cameras most of my old lenses will just get alive, i liked most of my lenses with new cameras more than with old cameras, but i try to focus on fast cameras as this is only i can try to upgrade, for full frame with landscape or nightscape or portraits i don't have any problems or lack of performance/quality.
I am actually a long time Nikon user.  But, I would double check your older lenses working with the mirrorless system.  People, both Nikon and Canon, have found out that some older lenses just do not work as well, even with the latest adapter.  Some Canon forums say pre 2009 lenses can be problematic.  But, this is all something to investigate.  Just FYI.

by Professional on Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:14 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
flygirl wrote:
Professional wrote:
Hi Nancy!

I am actually a long time Nikon user.  But, I would double check your older lenses working with the mirrorless system.  People, both Nikon and Canon, have found out that some older lenses just do not work as well, even with the latest adapter.  Some Canon forums say pre 2009 lenses can be problematic.  But, this is all something to investigate.  Just FYI.
All my Canon lenses working just fine with my Sony A7R with adapter, not sure about newer mirrorless models, i even love some Canon lenses on my Sony A7R such as Canon TS 17 & 24 TS lenses and also 85mm and 135mm, i had 70-200 mk1 before but i sold it to buy MKII so this is working definitely, only EF 300mm isn't great much with most old cameras, with 1DX it is amazing, and sharp with A7R but not fast AF anyway, i wasn't planning to move completely to mirrorless cameras anyway, and i always can buy new one to test, if it works then i resume.
Tareq Alhamrani

15 posts |