Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by hullyjr on Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:12 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
I have a ProGrade dual SD/CFExpress card reader attached to my Mac. Both my Delkin Black and ProGrade cards get super hot once installed into the reader. And it doesn't matter if I am transferring images or not, just leaving it in there - it gets hot. No so with a variety of SD cards. I'm getting worried that this will shorten the life of these expensive cards. And this is my second ProGrade card reader, the first one had the same 'issue' but eventually broke when I mistakenly inserted an XQD card!

Cheers,
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:43 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I use a Sony reader and it gets very warm/hot when transferring images, but not when not transferring them. I would be very concerned about it ruining cards. Maybe try another brand of reader. BTW, I use Sandisk cfexpress cards. There is a lot of info on Google about the heat issue, including an older thread here on NS.

viewtopic.php?t=296671

Interesting comment by Phaidon in this thread:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1710285/0

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Langsey on Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:06 pm
Langsey
Forum Contributor
I have a Lexar reader that can read cf & sd cards. It stays cool.
John
John Langsenkamp
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0077[/url]

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:10 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Langsey wrote: I have a Lexar reader that can read cf & sd cards. It stays cool.
John
Is that cf or cfexpress cards? Cfexpress cards are the problem.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by hullyjr on Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:22 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the information. Good to know it is not just me. I'll try transfering direct from the camera next time and see if there is a temperature issue.
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by Mark Boranyak on Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:31 pm
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
hullyjr wrote: I have a ProGrade dual SD/CFExpress card reader attached to my Mac. Both my Delkin Black and ProGrade cards get super hot once installed into the reader. And it doesn't matter if I am transferring images or not, just leaving it in there - it gets hot. No so with a variety of SD cards. I'm getting worried that this will shorten the life of these expensive cards. And this is my second ProGrade card reader, the first one had the same 'issue' but eventually broke when I mistakenly inserted an XQD card!

Cheers,
I have the same reader. And, yes, my cards do get very hot downloading images from a variety of CF Express Type B cards onto my computer.  Can't comment about SD cards since I haven't used SD cards since purchasing the reader.

by Langsey on Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:39 pm
Langsey
Forum Contributor
Joe,
Not the cfexpress reader.
John
John Langsenkamp
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0077[/url]

by ricardo00 on Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:47 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Langsey wrote: Joe,
Not the cfexpress reader.
John

I am not sure I understand your comment, I believe that at least in my case it is the CFexpress reader.  I got a Delkin Devices CFexpress card reader to read my Delkin Black cards.  It gets very hot when plugged into my computer.  Even after the card has completely transferred its contents to my computer, it keeps getting hotter if left plugged in (so now immediately unplug).  After reading about a different CFexpress card reader made by BlackJet, I bought one.  It a bit bulky (and much more expensive) but it doesn't heat up with the same Delkin Black CFexpress cards.  So mostly use this one when I am at home.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Generally as long as the temp isn't getting over about 85C (185F) you shouldn't worry. If you have one of those IR forehead thermometers that look a little like a gun, you can switch most of them over to a surface temperature reading mode and direct measure the temp.

9 posts |