Another Alaskan Brown Bear. Almost monochrome

Posted by stevebein on Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
The day we left the Silver Salmon Lodge at Lake Clark NP, we had a little extra time and we did some photos on the salt flats. the water draining by went in almost parallel rivlets. The sky was mostly overcast and the only thing not in a brown tone was hismouth , especially the tongue. When photographing, with armed guides persent, which is the norm there, I did not notice how close some came when walking by and I was looking into the viewfinder. Some were inside the minimum focusing distance of the 500IS lens. Amazingly close when I looked up. I was not comfortable with that, but moving away from the group was against the orders we were given.
D60, 600mm USM, 1.4X TC, ISO 400, 100@f8, comp +1
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

Last edited by stevebein on Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted by:
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137

by walkinman on Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:54 am
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Steve,

I like the image, the tones are great. His eye looks funky though .. like a P/'ed catchlight or something. Is that natural? I've never seen that before.

With regard to the story you wrote, I have to speak out against the idea of photographing bears up close like this with armed "guards" present. That, IMO, is completely unacceptable, and there's no excuse for it. If photographers choose to put themselves in such close proximity to bears as to be in danger, then they ought accept the responsibilities and consequences of such action. To invade the personal space of an animal, with the option that "I'll kill it if there's any problems" is simply not ok. How would you feel if a bear approached, you didn't move out of the way, it got close, things got hairy, and the "guard" shot and killed it? Secondly, Lake Clark NP has very clear rules about how close you're allowed to be to a bear:

"The minimum safe distance from any bear is 50 yards; from a sow with young it is 100 yards. These are MINIMUM distances, there are many times that greater distances are required!"

Inside the MFD of a 500mm lens is certainly illegal. You, your guides, and the others in the part should have been aware of that. If a bear approaches within that distance, it is the responsibility of the photographer to move away.

As a photographer, I think we have a responsibility to know and abide by the rules. We also have a responsibility to not talk so blatantly in public forums when we flout such rules. We're seeing the result of such a thing in the GD forum now, with the death of Timothy Treadwell and his partner. I see no difference to what he did and what these guides are doing at Lake Clark NP .. if the park rangers were aware of this situation, they'd lose their concessionaires license in a heartbeat (as they ought, IMO).

I'm on picking on you here Steve. I'm sure you meant no harm. but, this is the second time I've seen photographers who use this site post such things which are simply against the law, and both times involved licensed park guides. We should know better.

Cheers

Carl

PS .. I need to be clear .. I see nothing wrong with this image, and it was quite clearly not taken 'too close' to the bear. I'm referring to what you wrote about.

by stevebein on Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:06 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Carl,
When I went on that trip, I had no background of what was right or wrong. I went with the licensed guides. We stayed far away, but some of the bears approached us and walked by very . No one said anything except, don't leave the group. So, we kept together and the bears came very close. Now I know, but what would you do if you were with a group which was told to stay together, had no previous information on proper behavior and the bears walked close. I admit I did feel uncomfortable, but this shot was not close. The next one I expect to post is close.
I did try to work the eye in PS and have changed the version, so it is not as poorly done. I occassionally try to put in a catchlight, but not often. I had forgotten that I tried it with this image and posted it without a critical review..
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by walkinman on Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:57 am
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Steve,

the eye looks better now, but, IMO, the catchlight is just a bit too big. try just making it a smaller marking, barely discernible. It's very hard to get a natural light in a grizzly's eye, so it stands out immediately when there is one.

In a situation like this, the guides/workshop leaders are responsible .. unquestionably. However, you should have been informed, by the park, of at least basic rules about behaviour around the bears. Staying together as a group is definitely advisable, and you did the right thing not leaving them. However, as a bear begins to approach, within the 'allowed distance', the group should move accordingly, without turning their back/s, and maintain a reasonable distance. Sometimes, this is hard to do, because of terrain, other bears, etc. Guides should have the foresite to avoid possible situations such as this, and keep a safe distance.

On the other hand, there's probably not a photographer in existence who hasn't broken conventions/rules/ethics, etc at some point for their photography. It happens. So long as we make a reasonable effort to conduct ourselves, and promote our interests, within those codes.

Cheers

Carl

by Rich S on Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:25 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
600mm +1.4 suggests a reasonable distance here. Gotta agree with Carl though on the 50 yard issue and knowing the rules yourself although it appears you didn't have much choice about moving. (Don't move and you're violating a rule; move and you're violating a rule!)

On the photo, exposure looks spot on, open mouth and tongue out is great; looks a bit tilted from left to right; and I might tone down the highlights with a curves adjustment.

Rich

by stevebein on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:39 pm
stevebein
Lifetime Member
I thought someone mught comment on the tilted appearance. The runnoffs of the river were an angle that gave that appearance.If I made them straight, then the bear would be tilted. It is a compromise. I think the shot was straight.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Matt Cox on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:39 pm
Matt Cox
Forum Contributor
Steve --

I think the light and colors are great here for a grizzly shot, and I definitely like the vertical composition with the bear anchoring it down. I wonder if the striped background doesn't draw the eye away from the bear a bit, and also wonder how it would look if the stripes were more horizontal rather than tilted.
Matt Cox

by Harvey Edelman on Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:38 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Love the bear and pose. Not sure about the striped BG but if that's what was there...Well captured.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by NDCheryl on Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:47 pm
NDCheryl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00026
Very nice portrait Steve. great job on the exposure. I like the momochrome presentation.
Cheryl Ertelt
http://www.photosphrases.com
NSN 0026 LTM

by Tim Grams on Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:51 pm
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Nice image. I rather like the tilted appearance of the background- it caused a few mental gyrations for me but I figured the bear was sitting up right. The big yaw and the tongue are great.

Bears are fabulous animals to watch for many reasons- powerful, intelligent, playful and many with easily recognized characteristics in both looks and behavior. Not doubt thats why many people are willing to pay a tidy sum to have the experience, which only fuels the market for a better- read closer- bear encounters. Which can easily lead to less scrupulous behavior by the firms providing the access. As much as I hate any NPS restriction, they do have their place for the safety of humans and the animals.

In your case, about the only recourse at this point might be to file a complaint with the NPS concerning the firm that provided the trip for you.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by stevebein on Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:27 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
I remember a group which claimed, I believe it was, Lanting who was with them and they got overly close to some large bears, I think Polars. You can't complain all the time when the top in the field are doing it. Another thing, remember the rules on whales, don't go close but if they come close, it is ok. In our trip, we never went to them, they walked by us. It was last year and I will not file a complaint.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Michael Brown on Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:56 am
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor
Excellent all around image in my opinion Steve!!! 8)
Mike
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]

12 posts |