« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The little trashcan MacPro, while cool looking, has never lived up to the promise of a true professional grade workstation computer and has not been upgraded since it's introduction, although this week Apple did finally announce some relatively minor component upgrades.  Here is a very interesting article that indicates that Apple is taking it seriously and is completely rethinking MacPro but it will be a while before we see a new product:
http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

by Vivek on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:23 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Interesting read. Although I like Apple products in general because of their reasonably good HW and stable SW (for me they've been quite stable), lately their offerings have been disappointing. Apart from MP, MbP with the touch bar wasn't well received either. Although I am due for an upgrade, I decided to pass on the MbP with touch bar. The performance / unit $ is just not there and it seems like Apple is content with last year's technology offerings. If this is so, I am willing to pay last year's prices, not this years :-).
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Wade Thorson on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm
Wade Thorson
Forum Contributor
OThe Interesting read indeed.  My 08 Mac Pro is definitely long in the tooth, but still a viable machine at almost 10 years old! Unfortunately Sierra is not supported on my machine. El Cap is not exactly what I would call the most stable OS, and I'll be forced into an upgrade sooner than later.  I just can't see spending the money on the disposable iMacs that have no upgrade path, or the hugely expensive 5 year old tech in a trash can looking Mac Pro on life support with every peripheral and dongle attached spaghetti bowl mess on my desk.    I loathe having to leave the 'ecosystem' so am seriously considering building my own Hackintosh.  I can build a i7 Midtower, higher spec'd machine for half the price than the cheapest Mac Pro if I build it myself.  And it would run windows natively.  A shame Apple has to re-think the thing they just re-thought.  Especially since they really are only making Mac Pro cases, and installing other manufacturers processors, RAM and hard drives.  Just not feeling the love.
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                 -Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida

Alpine Imaging | Wade Thorson Photography

3 posts |