« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by WJaekel on Sun May 22, 2016 5:58 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
In my PC I have  a 250 GB Intel SSD (2012) for the OS (Win 7 Ultimate) and programs and several HDs for the data. I recently got a Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB) which mainly shall be used as a back up for the Intel in case something fails there. The data HDs are back upped on external drives. The Samsung comes with a SATA to USB adapter but shall be internally installed on the PC in the end. On the Samsung website they provide their migration tool for cloning. I did a search here and E.J. and others recommend  the Macrium tool for cloning, though. So the question if is anybody has experiences with the Samsung migration tool or if I should better use Macrium ? BTW, Macrium charges 69 € for the tool if incremental back ups are required. Anyway, the Samsung tool doesn’t allow incremental back ups either, I think.

Thank you

Wolfgang

by Bob Ettinger on Sun May 22, 2016 6:33 pm
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
When I was doing mine, it did not work with Windows 10. That might have changed but I don't know

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 23, 2016 3:23 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Macrium Reflect, it's free and it's awesome :)
I have mine set up to clone my programs and OS SSD to an identical SSD every Sunday.

by scorless on Mon May 23, 2016 10:54 am
scorless
Forum Contributor
EJ,

It is possible using the Macrium Reflect  software to clone all programs and the OS from an SSD to a larger SSD?

Thanks
Sandy Corless

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 23, 2016 11:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
scorless wrote:EJ,

It is possible using the Macrium Reflect  software to clone all programs and the OS from an SSD to a larger SSD?

Thanks
Yes, absolutely.  Do the clone and then when done, go into disk manager and expand the partition size to include the new space.

by scorless on Tue May 24, 2016 9:06 am
scorless
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ this helps.
Sandy Corless

6 posts |