Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Eia on Fri May 13, 2016 5:07 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
I am running Windows 8.1.  I'm trying to download the D7200 Firmware but the !@#$ computer will not open a .bin file...of any kind.

Why? Did I do something wrong?

(is it time to upgrade to 10 or is it worse :evil:

Thank you for any help!!!!!
~AnnaMaria~

by aolander on Fri May 13, 2016 5:29 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
You don't open the .bin file, you copy the .bin file to a card.  Put the card in your camera, and so on.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Eia on Fri May 13, 2016 5:46 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
aolander wrote:You don't open the .bin file, you copy the .bin file to a card.  Put the card in your camera, and so on.
Thank you. I should clarify.....after I download the update and hit the exe it comes up with a different extension; a windows movie video type. I know I have to copy it it, i have done this a few times but on an earlier version of Windows. 
~AnnaMaria~

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 13, 2016 5:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Here's what you do.  You download the file from Nikon - it should go to your Downloads folder.  If it comes in as a ZIP (older cameras)file then you navigate to that file and right click and then select Extract All...  This will form a new folder with the bin files in it.  If it comes in as an EXE file (newer cameras) you run the EXE file and it creates the same folder as I described above.  For example on the D7200 the folder is called D7200Update. You then open the folder and copy those bin files onto the root directory of a flash card and insert it into the camera and proceed with the firmware update.  this is documented by Nikon on the site that you download the firmware update from.

by Eia on Fri May 13, 2016 6:05 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Here's what you do.  You download the file from Nikon - it should go to your Downloads folder.  If it comes in as a ZIP (older cameras)file then you navigate to that file and right click and then select Extract All...  This will form a new folder with the bin files in it.  If it comes in as an EXE file (newer cameras) you run the EXE file and it creates the same folder as I described above.  For example on the D7200 the folder is called D7200Update. You then open the folder and copy those bin files onto the root directory of a flash card and insert it into the camera and proceed with the firmware update.  this is documented by Nikon on the site that you download the firmware update from.
Yep - done that with my other cameras using non Windows

But - I can't get past go. Here is what shows after I hit .exe

It gives me a music file to play. I cannot even copy it over....
~AnnaMaria~

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 13, 2016 6:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
No it doesn't ;)  That is a folder.  Double click on the folder and inside will be .bin files.  Copy those to the flash card.  The note graphic is just designating that as a media folder - notice it also has a filmstrip on it.  That graphic is irrelevant.  you need to look inside the folder.

by Eia on Fri May 13, 2016 6:28 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:No it doesn't ;)  That is a folder.  Double click on the folder and inside will be .bin files.  Copy those to the flash card.  The note is just designating that as a media folder - notice it also has a filmstrip on it.  That graphic is irrelevant.  you need to look inside the folder.
Aweeee... OK! so the filmstrip was throwing me off!!!! Copied, pasted = voila!  THANK YOU!!!!!
~AnnaMaria~

7 posts |