Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Paul Fusco on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:34 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
I have recently purchased a new Canon 600/4 II lens. I always like to have the front element covered when not in use so I bought a lens coat hoodie 4x (recommended size) only to find that the hoodie is way too small to easily get on and off the lens hood. Same problem with the Canon stock hood. Both fit so tight that they are a pain in the neck to work with. I am likely going to have to make my own out of cardboard and tape. Before I do that I would like to ask if anyone else has experienced the same thing. Also, I'd like to know if there are other more convenient options that owners of this lens are using to fit on the lens hood. 
Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by PV Hiker on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:15 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
I have the same lens and hoodie as you. It has been years but I remember it was tight when new and has stretched some now. Mine is easy to put on but requires two hands to open it to pull over the hood. I have never used the Canon one that came with the lens.
Patrick

by NNL33543 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 pm
NNL33543
Forum Contributor
I settled for the Don Zeck lens cap for all my super telephoto lenses, not perfect but the best I have seen so far.

Tony

by neverspook on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:53 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Personally, I like these. Very quick to use, protects the glass well and stays on well.

https://store.naturescapes.net/aquatech ... on-lenses/

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Bob Ettinger on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:14 am
Bob Ettinger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00148
Paul,

Take a look at the LensCoat Travel Hood. It folds flat and uses velcro to adjust.

Bob
Bob Ettinger

by Paul Fusco on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:17 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the responses everyone.
So far the AquaTech soft hood looks interesting. Roberta, have you used this on the Canon 600 lens hood? Bob, the Lenscoat Travel Hood looks to be a little big and bulky for my use. Doesn't look to be easy off and on.
Still open for suggestions. In the meantime I am trying to stretch the heck out of the LensCoat Hoodie. It sure is strong!
Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by P.W.Post on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:49 am
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
I found the LensCoats to be the best of the bunch. Although I only use them for storage. The lens hood provides enough protection when the lens is in use. They do loosen with age. 

The Don Zeck is the worst. It kept falling off. I lost it by the second day.

Peter Post

by Diane Miller on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:33 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
When the hood is reversed on the lens for carrying, I just fold back the front half of the LensCoat (easy to peel it back) and then I can use the OEM cap. It is bulky when not in use, though and the AquaTech looks worth checking out.

by neverspook on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I don't have a 600 but have used the Aquatech on my 500 and my 300 f2.8 and they work great.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Robert Royse on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Robert Royse
Forum Contributor
I use the Aquatech as my everyday lens cap for my Canon 800mm and have never had any issues with it. I had the 600 f4 version too for my old 600 and it worked just as well. I recently replaced my 300 2.8 with the 400 f4 DO II, and the Aquatech cap for the 300 keeps slipping out of the 400.
Bob Royse
http://www.roysephotos.com

by Jim Zipp on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:47 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Hey Paul,
If a travel hood is something you might want, stop by the shop and you can take mine and give it a test drive. Just let me know so I bring it in for you.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Greg Downing on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:52 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
The aqua tech caps are good. I've been using the lenscoat lately but I have a few .. - there is one that fits over the hood and a different size for the lens without the hood. The don zeck cap is probably the most indestructible and more protective of them all in fact I have one for my old 600 laying around somewhere (shooting with a 5 these days).
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by bender16v on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:03 pm
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
I have a LensCoat hoodie on one lens that is pretty tough to get on. I kind of unroll it on and then run my finger around inside of it to straighten out the actual LensCoat. I have the Don Zeck on another lens and love it. Mine came with a couple different sized o-rings so in case it was loose you could put thicker ones on it.
-Chris Harrison

by kiwijohn on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:01 am
kiwijohn
Forum Contributor
I too found LensCoat hoodies (and Nikons own hoodie) for my 300 f2.8 and 600 F4 too fiddly and hard to fit to be of much practical use in the field.
So I make my own!
I construct 2 varieties (with slightly different uses) from recycled wetsuit neoprene.
One is a thin (3mm neoprene) rain/dust/sea spray hoodie that sees daily use keeping the front element clean, while the other is a tighter fitting travel hoodie made of 6mm neoprene with the end reinforced with foam board for protection while traveling.

They have the following advantages:
* Being extremely cheap (so I make 2 or 3 spares while I am at it),
* A precise fit right from the start, not much stretching needed, easy enough to slip on one handed in the field.
* Supple enough to scrunch up and put it in a pocket while not in use. (Even the thicker one is foldable enough to store in a large coat pocket)
* Giving enough friction to stay in place - Even regularly walking through pretty thick scratchy New Zealand bush, I have never had one detach inadvertently and get lost.

John Sibley

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:10 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
NNL33543 wrote:I settled for the Don Zeck lens cap for all my super telephoto lenses, not perfect but the best I have seen so far.

Tony

me too.  I basically only used it for transport.  No problems with it falling off if seated properly.  Does not interfere with travel coat.  In field with hood extended, I don't use a lens cap on super telephotos.  Carrying the cap in the field is a problems so I leave it in the car.

15 posts |