« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 21 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:14 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
LYNX ABUNDANCE

1.  In Maine, the lynx is in the southern part of its historical range.  

2.  Any species along the fringe of its range is more subject to pop fluctuations (especially decreases) than it is in its range center.  Makes sense. 

3.  So, the lynx is not common in abundance northern Maine.  For decades, the Canada lynx has been uncommon…but again, it has always been here.  Now, the USFWS wants to increase its numbers.  Why? 

4.  In recent years, Canada lynx numbers have increased in northern Maine, because the snowshoe hare population is in a sustained increase.

5.  The sustained increase in the hare population is due a dramatic increase in recent decades in the scope and intensity of forest harvesting in northern Maine.  

This is NOT information that is made public to Maine residence.   

6.  The north Maine woods is being cut outside the parameters of Maine's Forest Practices Act.  I cannot yet prove this, but I do strongly believe it and I believe this to be a consensus among those who spend much time in northern Maine.   Also, I know that MDIFW knows this but they do not talk about it at all to the public.  

And few are complaining because it is resulting in an explosion of food production in the midstory and forest floor.   This is what has caused an increase in the bear population and the population of numerous other forest animals, including the hare.    

USFWS is attempting to increase lynx habitat.  In the recent article about this:

http://news.yahoo.com/landowners-managing-habitat-help-canada-lynx-maine-125126773.html

I have excerpted this statement: 

"……With forests maturing and clear-cutting tightly regulated, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and private landowners……"

The above quote is somewhere between the opposite of the truth…….and laughable !

[font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The fact is that the forest is younger than it has ever been and is getting younger!!!!  And that is because it is being cut at an increasingly faster rate…although the industry would like to suppress that fact.  Maine Forest Service DOES NOT REGULATE forest harvest practices in Maine.   It "oversees" the harvesting.  There is a big difference when it comes down to stewardship and responsibility.  After all, these are private lands. [/font][font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]IMHO, it is all smoke and mirrors. [/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Clear-cutting is NOT tightly regulated!  In fact, the exact opposite is true.    [/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]More on this later.  [/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would participate in a publicly presented forum among Maine's state and federal wildlife agencies, myself and other interested participants.  At the forum, the truth would come out.   The news agencies would have to be there.  [/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So why is the USFWS interested in increasing the lynx population in Maine in the first place ?[/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]More later. [/font]

Last edited by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:41 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Robert, what is your stance on the lynx?  From all you've posted, I cannot tell. Everything you mention is easily found by doing a simple Google search!

Re: #1+2, These are well known facts. In fact, since they wander into Canada from Maine, several of the radio collared lynx were trapped legally up there.

Re: #3, Since it is a threatened species, it makes sense to try to increase their numbers in its' historic range: a range where they logically should do well if the snowshoe numbers can sustain them. They only require one snowshoe every two or three days. They are more protected in the US, so why not try to increase their numbers in a country where their numbers are not high?

Re: #4+5, these are well known facts, as well.

This may be of interest regarding the historic distribution of the Canada Lynx:

http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs/rmrs_gtr03 ... 07_264.pdf

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:51 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Is #6 well known Joe?

And BTW Joe, number 5 is NOT well known as you say.  Show me a reference on #6 Joe.

I have a firm stance on this Joe.   But I have not put together a statement on it.  It s convoluted.  And it is convoluted because the whole thing is a mess.   And I do have many other things to do.   

1. They have made a mess of the north Maine woods.   

2.  When the forest industry is done $aping the north maine woods……they are going to sell for as much as they can.   It is that simple.

3.  My stance is for the people of Maine to start forcing bonds through to buy northern Maine.  

4.  I am in my 66th year and I believe northern Maine will be sold within my life.  

5.  If you did a survey you would find that most people do not even know that most (over 90%) of Maine's woodlands are privately owned.

http://www.forestsformainesfuture.org/forest-facts/

Last edited by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:07 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Is #6 well known Joe?

And BTW Joe, number 5 is NOT well known as you say.  Show me a reference on #6 Joe.

I have a firm stance on this Joe.   But I have not put together a statement on it.  It s convoluted.  And it is convoluted because the whole thing is a mess.   And I do have many other things to do.   

They have made a mess of the north Maine woods.   And when they are done $aping it……they are going to sell for as much as they can.   It is that simple.

My stance is for the people of Maine to start forcing bonds through to buy northern Maine.  I am in my 66th year and I believe northern Maine will be sold within my life.  

My statement is forthcoming.  
Here's one quick one on #5. Read under "Population Status":

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/speci ... _lynx.html

I'll post more soon.

Here's another. Read under "Silviculture":

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/anim ... a/all.html

And another. Read under "Why the Canada Lynx is Facing a Serious Decline";

http://clapway.com/2015/09/09/canada-lynx-maine123/

Re: #6, I never offered an opinion or statement on that, but if I find out more, I will let you know!!!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:10 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Even if you do find another reference Joe, I do not care to argue with you over something that you Joe….. have little knowledge over and that I grew up with.  

Last edited by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:12 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:5.  If you did a survey you would find that most people do not even know that most of Maine's woodlands are privately owned.
It is easily found out by anyone doing a Google search, but you may be right that most people don't know this. The same is true for other states, as well, E.G. Texas.

Jow
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:16 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
I have no intention of arguing with you or anybody else about this. I know that northern Maine is being raped by the forest industry and that it is very likely to be sold for countless millions of dollars to private interests within my life
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:35 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:I have no intention of arguing with you or anybody else about this.  I know that northern Maine is being raped by the forest industry and that it is very likely to be sold for countless millions of dollars to private interests within my life

If you want sustainable forest practices, start finding funds to buy tracts and work with government agencies to consolidate the 10% into manageable tracts.  I live in a state that historically has been #1 in timber production (may have lost that distinction due to Spotted OWL) and it is a losing battle against timber interests unless you can get the courts involved and show that certain rules are not being followed.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:55 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Roxanne Quimby, founder of Bert's Bees, offered to donate large tract(s) of her northern Maine land to form a "North Maine Woods" National Park.

SAM (Sportsman's Alliance of Maine) membership scoffed at it, because she is not a big advocate of hunting/trapping.  They are suspicious of an end run to exclude them from the north maine woods.  

SAM is the most powerful wildlife lobby in Maine.  It is all about hunting, fishing and trapping.  It is not about non-consumptive use or any far-reaching conservation actions that I know of.

Former Congressperson Mike Michaud lined up behind the SAM lobby and put an end to any preliminary study for such a park.  

I believe it was at that point that Roxanne Quimby stopped pushing for the park.

I know the president of the Maine Trappers Association and he refuses to listen to me try to convince him to embrace her offer (even though it no longer stands anyway.)  

I told him that if northern Maine is sold out to private, non-forest industry interests, it will likely be posted and then you will surely be excluded from it.

Many national parks allow hunting.  I do not know about trapping and have no intention of checking.  I have a basic, very deeply rooted hatred for trapping.  

IMO, all of this goes to show you just how ignorant people can be.   And no, I do not include me in that group just because I hate trapping.  I do support hunting. 

Maine needs a very powerful, non-consumptive wildlife/natural resource, conservation lobby.  

Bottom line:  To me and many others, it appears that MDIFW is a puppet for SAM
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:10 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
1.  Google Earth northern Maine

2.  Note the coarseness of the combings or "herringbone" patterns.

3.  Now go back several years and compare the patterns and the scope or extent of the cuttings.  

4.  When I was in my 20's I could walk through slash fields.  They were about mid-shin deep.  Today, the slash fields I have tried to "walk through" are over my knees!  Today, the ruts from the huge commercial loggers are so deep that they will never disappear.  

5.  No, I do not want any other "sustainable harvesting" outfit to buy the land.  I will tell you Mike in O too….that I believe sustainable harvesting is becoming a thing of the past…..if it has not already been so.

6.  I want bonds to buy the land and then we can thrash out the types of activities that will be allowed and when.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:25 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:I have no intention of arguing with you or anybody else about this.  I know that northern Maine is being raped by the forest industry and that it is very likely to be sold for countless millions of dollars to private interests within my life

If you want sustainable forest practices, start finding funds to buy tracts and work with government agencies to consolidate the 10% into manageable tracts.  I live in a state that historically has been #1 in timber production (may have lost that distinction due to Spotted OWL) and it is a losing battle against timber interests unless you can get the courts involved and show that certain rules are not being followed.
I am one who is skeptical that there exists much sustainable harvest forestry practices/companies on the Biosphere anymore….greed being as it is and "inflation" as it is:

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2014/05/ ... stainable/
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:22 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
We have even witnessed our "own" politicians (as if we own them or can even control anything they do) to sell our publicly owned lands.

Heck, they are trying to do it right now. Didn't George W Bush try to privatize our National Parks? Oh yes he did! And who's hands do you think those (our best) public lands would have ended up in?

We have to remain diligent. We have to be aware of what is happening because now they are trying to do these things without us ever knowing.

Right now, certain Congressional interests are attaching to proposed legislation, riders that would weaken or eliminate the Endangered Species Act. Again folks, this is the Holy Grail of wildlife conservation legislation. It is far from perfect. It should have been named the Endangered Habitat Act. But is our main defense.

The Center for Biological Diversity estimates that recently, the push to eliminate the Endangered Species Act has increased 6 fold! The campaign to get the ESA out of industry's way is going to be a sustained effort. It is never going to end.
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:25 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Robert get together with some like minded friends and hire one of these bad boys to help you develop a plan that your group can get behind.
https://law.lclark.edu/programs/environ ... urces_law/

edit:  I formed a political action committee in the early 90's combining all the conservation groups in Oregon to fight for our native fish and the water they need.  We got legislation passed over Oregon Fish and Wildlife objections that our native fish should be managed for the future generations.  It is still being implemented now with the support of the Department.  Changing minds can be a long process and for a person young enough to have the energy and passion to see it through.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:35 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Yuh, thanks Mike. I read your comment, went away thinking about it……. and then re-read. It gives me a different approach to think about. Before, all I was thinking about was having to do something alone…..NO WAY. Even if I wanted to, it simply would not work

But if I could find a group of like-mindeds, then that would make a difference.

I will think about it from that perspective now. I have already done a short recon into cyberspace for Mainers with similar views.

Thanks Mike
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:44 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
How is it you support hunting Robert?? Not looking for argument, but after reading and knowing your sentiments I'm curious how the sport hunters fit into your belief system..

People made the problem and people will be necessary to fix the problem. With people on your side there can be money available to buy up the land and set it aside for nature. I guess as similar to what Nature Conservancy does. This is the only answer I can figure out as even rational. Get money. That may not be as difficult as people think perhaps. Just as a thought....if everyone in the United states donated 1 dollar, just 1 measly dollar, we would then have 326 million dollars to work with. Just about everyone once a movement got going, would repeatedly donate a dollar. The problem might only be in how to collect. My thoughts are to get the big businesses to help, like the oil companies. Everyone needs gas for the car right? Well what if there was a flash screen at the pump that asked whether you wanted to donate a dollar to the "BP Nature Restoration fund"? You might pass it up one day and maybe donate the next. It's up to you. But the point is, people don't write a check for a dollar or make a phone call using their credit card to donate a dollar,...... too much a hassle. So how would just a dollar be collected...and...collected with high efficiency and little loss off that dollar before it reaches it's destination. And asking for a twenty or fifty or one hundred dollar donations is something they think about first.

So if it was totally simple to do, and only a dollar, and the collection process was automatic and streamlined to where basically there was little loss because the money doesn't have to go through many hands, a lot of money could be had in a very short time. Let's face it...we are not going to get the money necessary by taxing people more, or expecting a few to do all the financing, that is wrought with all sorts of  problems. But everyone donating what would amount to as just chump change basically, and a website that tallies real time the money collected, that also continually informs people what the money is doing, would empower the everyday man and woman, would inform them and involve them, would perhaps be a contagious thing that could get the ball rolling to setting aside much needed lands that would be untouchable for anything but the restoration of natural habitats.

Maybe my idea is cookoo, but the major portion of the general public is just not aware. But there isn't much out there that makes them feel they can do anything about it is there. It seems like to a person, everyone is letting go and giving up because of those helpless feelings. All I ever hear is the government or big business is to blame, yet both are only in existence because of all of us.
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:35 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Your's is a very good question and I am formulating an answer to it now.  Why do I continue to support hunting?  Boy, that is good one Paul.

Have to go back now and take in your entire post …..comment.
Topic Locked  

by Mark Picard on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:04 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I have been living in Northern Maine for 6 years now, and completely agree with Robert's statements. Mainers don't like change!  They are buried in old traditions they refuse to give up, even though some of those traditions no longer are working. They are still in favor of the old consumptive practices of hunting and trapping that their forefathers have done for decades, while not realizing that the non-consumptive  practices like wildlife watching, photography, hiking, and enjoying nature have surpassed hunting and trapping by wide margins economically. Anything Fish & Wildlife related these days in Maine has to do only with MONEY, not the wildlife! Decisions are based solely on fiscal issues and how can F&W make more money to pay it's staff under the disguise of protecting wildlife. Currently they are doing terrible things regarding our Moose herd. They should completely stop the annual Moose hunt here for at least a couple of years in hope that the herd can rebound from the devastating loses to the Winter Tick each and every year. But that would subtract millions of dollars each year in revenue from the Moose Hunt Lottery. And -  Mainers have a strong sense of entitlement like I've never seen before! They don't like being told what to do, especially if it's a gate that stops them from going into private property to hunt or trap.

Maine even has a "Great Ponds Act" that states that anyone can trespass on any land owners land if there is a pond that is 10 acres or larger on it! Imagine! Now, that does exclude motorized vehicles, but if you want to walk or bike into these areas it is completely legal! So your land is really not your land because you must allow people to use it any time they want on their own, even if you have it "gated".So, as an example, this law makes it possible for a stranger to fish your ponds when they want to and it's perfectly legal! . Geeesh! 

My blood is boiling, so I will stop here, but this in reality is only the tip of the iceberg in Maine. :(
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:06 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
That is a great idea Paul…exciting!  I read every word and absorbed your entire idea.  It is wonderful…far-thinking.  I really, honestly do agree that it is a great idea. 

Now, why have I supported hunting?:

All those years (over 40 years now) I spoke professionally, to wildlife professionals and to hunters…..in favor of hunting.  Now, it is clearer to me that unless a piece of land is going to be used to take game from….hunters are not at all interested.  It is a one way street with them as far as I have seen over the years.  

I ask myself, where I have seen in the last 40 years, that they have jumped on the wagon with me on any land conservation issue?  There have been a bunch of issues too.  Maybe they have and I just did not notice.  For maybe I have not circulated as much as I should have.  But in the last 1 to 2 decades, all I have heard is the demand for more and bigger antlers, more bear, more and bigger moose……and NOTHING from the non-consumptive side.  Not in Maine sir.  Not at all in Maine.  So, maybe I am missing someone or something.  But if there is a voice it is a faint one.  Oh, I did forget about the bear referendum effort.  Hey, maybe if I could tap that resource for names.  

I do perceive SAM as being a haughty organization.  I once read in the news of one wildlife professor being roasted by SAM.  His name is Ray "Bucky" Owens, and he was a very enthusiastic wildlife professor at University of Maine, Orono.  I know him and Bucky Owen is one in a million.  Well, after serving at Orono for a number of years he became the Commissioner of MDIFW.  In a public hearing, one of the SAM guys held up a set of antlers and exclaimed to Bucky…."Until we get more of these, you will not get more of these (holding up a butterfly).  Again, I did not attend but read about it.

But I know that this is an apt characterization of SAM's attitude.  I am fed up with hearing their voice exclusively.  There has to be many folks like me in Maine.

Do not get me wrong.  I am not afraid of them and would love to confront them in a public arena.  I can hold my own against takers of natural resources….especially takers of wildlife.   It just takes walking that fine line between calling someone out on something while not patting oneself on the back.  

But what does confrontation get you Paul ?  What does that get my cause?  Nothing at all!  Oh yes it does.  It gets me an enemy.  A man convinced against his will is of he same opinion still.  

The worst enemies are the industrialists (not all industrialists) who push to remove or weaken the ESA of 1973….they see wildlife as an obstacle to their accumulation of wealth.  Those are the people I can say that I honestly, genuinely….hate …..identify as my enemies.  

Hatred is never good.  It destroys the hater.  So I do allow that I should not use that word.  

Rather, I say that those people who see our beloved wildlife as obstacles to their accumulation of wealth….are my enemies!!!   These people are no good (in my heart).  They take immense amount of resources…all for their exclusive, selfish gains.  And there can never be enough money for them.  These are our very worst enemies Paul.  They care nothing of what we love.  Wildlife (the ESA) is in the way and must be removed for their gain.  That is why I have come to respect the Center for Biological Diversity….because they have teeth and because they use those teeth.

So maybe that answers your question Paul.  Hunters still need habitat as I need habitat.  To a large extent, we both need the same thing.  And I need allies, not enemies.   That is why they must be convinced to embrace the likes of Roxanne Quimby and then we can arrange for who uses what for what purpose at what time of the year.  But if it is gone it is gone. 
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:55 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Robert you then are sleeping with the enemy. That might be necessary like when your trying to defeat the powerful Nazi's and you can't do it without the soviet union, but I don't think we need to suck up to the sport hunter. Their whole foundation is a lie and is a very sick perversion of what hunting for food was naturally about.

Your a good advocate for your honesty with yourself  Robert....This I feel is when things can change....

Sport hunting is a force to be reckoned with, but for every sport hunter there has to be a thousand who think it's sick. Overwhelmingly most people I meet and know wouldn't hunt because they couldn't stomach the pain and hurt they  would inflict on an animal. I  know they eat beef and chicken, but unfortunately they no longer think of where their food is coming from anymore ...there's just that much conditioning. You order a burger or chicken sandwich the last thing on your mind is that your eating an animal that wanted very much wanted to live. We are anesthetized. Numb. Ignorant. Desensitized. Dumbfounded. How much does one retreat before having to give up on the grand plan of nature???

My question would be why let others, be it big business or the delusional little hunter man, run your life? You know what your beliefs are...go for it.......
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:33 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
100% Paul !:)  

………"You order a burger or chicken sandwich the last thing on your mind is that your eating an animal that wanted very much wanted to live,"

This is the very first thing on my mind and is the very reason why I do not "ever" order either of those.   NOPE….I'll be damned if they are going to die just for my pleasure.  And I cannot believe that people eat veal or lamb.  Give me a break!  You have to have that so much that the poor animal cannot even enjoy any life at all….babies?  I don't think so.  In fact, I have never in my life eaten one bit of lamb or veal  And I never will.

Today, I told an associate of mine that the reason I do not eat a particular sandwich featured at a local shop is because pigs are smarter than dogs and  I could not imagine dogs in line to be slaughtered in one of those places.  Pigs know exactly what is about to happen to them…..well so do most other animals I suppose.  

Nope…I'm all set with that.  The rest of the world is wrong…not me.  And folks….I am serious.   I have a great diet.  I just recently eliminated chicken.  Have not had a steak for years and the last burger I had was last year.  So those of you out there who were about to ask me if I eat meat………you now have your answer.  I eat eggs and haddock.  I love haddock.  Other than for those two….it is cheese and milk that is often eaten and give me the animal protein.

Paul, I call corporations out on this.  I have boycotted Kraft because of their "Roadkill" candy that they featured a few years ago .   I saw it on the shelves of a local chain and asked to speak to the manager.  I told him that I found it deplorable that candy would feature animals that have been squished in the road.  I was hot.  I told them it was a terrible thing to teach kids.  I told them that they needed to take it off their shelves or they would lose me and I would make sure I spread the word.  It was gone the next day.  That day I contacted Kraft.  I told them that it was deplorable that they would sit in a board room and come to a conclusion that this product was a good thing to put out there.   I then told them that I was boycotting then for life.  And I have.  Since that day, probably 5 years ago, I have not bought anything at all with the Kraft name on it.

Same thing with Swifts Premium turkey.  I was tipped off on a clandestine film taken inside their processing plant.  So I watched it, 

It showed little LIVING baby turkeys, still in down feathers being dumped from cardboard boxes, directly into a meat grinder.  It tore me up to see these little, living balls of down tumbling down the throat of a meat grinder.  Since that day, I have boycotted Swift Premium and have taken every opportunity to spread the word on it.  I could not find the turkey vid but here is one with baby chicks.  No, on second thought….I should pass on it.

Enough on this Paul.  We are supposed to stick to wildlife.  I will remove this comment if told to.  :)
Topic Locked  

21 posts |