All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:11 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
OK, I decided to get a cheapy gimbal head to mount my Sigma 150-600 and went with a unit by Movo called the GH700 for $100 -- Chinese I guess.  I didn't want to plunk down $600+ for a head I don't expect to use nearly as much as a full on wildlife of bird shooter and figured I could live with an economy model.

OK, so I receive it today and on first impression it looks pretty decent, but when I mounted it to my tripod and put the camera and lens on something didn't look right.  I'd made sure to level the tripod and since I have the Gitzo 1321 leveling base with bubble level I knew I was pretty close to level but as I looked at the camera and lens it appeared to be way of level.  I made sure the lens collar was in one of the 90 degree detents and locked down and then I realized what the problem was.  The two axis need to be at 90 degrees to one another and much more than a 1/4 degree error is going to be noticeable -- by my observation the angle was more like 94 degrees.  You could rotate the lens in the collar and the camera/lens would be level, but as soon as you tilt the camera you get a nasty rotation -- the angle needs to be 90 and not 94.

OK, so this POS will be going back and I'm looking for another gimbal head.  There are a bunch of other gimbal heads right around the $100 range and many even less, but I'd rather not get burned a second time so looking around the next option that appeals to me for several reasons is the ProMediaGear Tomahawk at more like $300.  That's 3X the Movo unit but half the cost of the Wimberley class units.  The other thing that looks interesting is that mounting system the I can clamp onto my BH-55 so change out will only take seconds.  If I were expecting to use a 600mm with TC and a pro body all the time I'd probably swing for a Wimberley class gimbal but given the somewhat lighter lens+camera setup and the less frequent use I think the Tomahawk might be the best choice.

Now where's that Harbor Freight catalog?  :)

Brian

by aolander on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:27 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
Why don't you get a Wimberley Sidekick for $250?  Used often much less and perfectly fine.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Justin C on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:40 pm
Justin C
Forum Contributor
Another vote for the Sidekick. I use mine in combination with an Arca B1 and 500mm f4 and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever.
Justin

by Brian Stirling on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:50 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Yeah, the Sidekick has pretty much the same functionality and is $50 cheaper -- that might be the hot setup...

Brian

by Mike in O on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:52 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I have a Chinese ($76+shipping) that works fine. I recently upgraded to a WimberleyII and actually it is not much better and heavier but I love caressing the Wimberley.

by Brian Stirling on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:15 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Yeah Mike, I ordered the Movo thinking it would be sufficient given my more limited use, but when I found the two axis off by about 4 degrees I decided that I wasn't going to risk another cheapy gimbal head. So, I just got off the phone with Amazon and have the return label to return the Movo and have also ordered a Sidekick. The Movo actually looked pretty good from a fit and finish stand point, but I guess they don't know how to properly jig up before welding the arm to the base.

Just didn't want to risk another no-name Chinese knock-off.

Brian

by Robert on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:14 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Another vote for the Wimberley Sidekick for a lighter weight and less expensive gimbal head. They can often be found used for around $175.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Personally I find side mounts difficult to use with the 150-600 because the center of gravity of the lens shifts so dramatically as you zoom it.  I find a low mount much better since the mounting foot is significantly below the center of rotation making it much less likely to have a sudden and uncontrolled pivot, sure it will still swing down but the action is a lot less dramatic.  i've tested it with several mounts - it is actually very usable on a decent ballhead with the tension settings properly adjusted.  One thing you might consider is a Jobu Junior.  It works a million times better with a lens like this than a Sidekick.  I am using either a full Wimberley or the Mongoose with optional bottom mount arm with mine.  I do find that I need to put the gimbal to the right of the lens rather than my usual left to make zooming easier.

by pawsitive on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:25 am
pawsitive
Forum Contributor
I'd second the Jobu Junior, and if you purchase from Canada you can enjoy the benefit of the low Canadian dollar. Use "NATURE" code at check out and get another 10% off!

by photoman4343 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:28 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Another vote for the Jobu junior. Mine is the second version.

Joe smith
Joe Smith

by Greg Downing on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:09 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
another vote for the Jobu Jr. Email me and I will give you a 10% off coupon...

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/jobu- ... -head.html
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by pawsitive on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:26 am
pawsitive
Forum Contributor
Great deal at henrys.com, Jobu Jr and carbon monopod for $329 cdn, don't know what shipping or taxes you might have but with current exchange it is a heck of a deal!

by Robert on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:55 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
After EJ's & others comments, I'd like to change my vote to the Jobu Jr. :wink:

by Karl Egressy on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:51 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Jobu Junior is great for lighter lenses, such as your Sigma lens.
The Jobu Black Widow is excellent for lenses like Canon 300 f2.8 L IS and Canon 500 f4.0 L IS.
The price is very good, so is the functionality.
We have them both.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:27 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I am curious why the Jobu jr is preferred to the Induro GHB2 (at least in this discussion). Although a bit more expensive, the Induro appears to be much more adjustable. I have the Induro GHB1 which I've liked, but it doesn't quite cut it for the weight of my IDIV with 400 5.6 and 1.4 TC. It's hard to lock in place without drooping a bit. Also, the camera bumps into the base at a steep vertical angle. I am assuming the GHB2 allows for more swing with a big camera-maybe it's not a problem with a 7D? In any case, I wonder how the Jobu and Induro compare as they are both highly rated in the NSN store. The Induro seems on the heavy side, however, I don't see a weight indicated for the Jobu. Would the Jobu have good swing clearance? The Wimberly sidemount has a nice diagram with dimensions measured, but it's up there in the expense stratosphere as is the Mongoose. Maybe the UniqBall UBH 45 is still a good option? (Wondering what "decent ballhead" EJ is referring to....?)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Karl Egressy on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:20 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
The Jobu Junior weighs 1.5 LBS.
The Jobu Black Widow (sold under a different name now) weighs 2.5 LBS.
The one we have is an older design and it is very similar to the top of the line of theirs, called Jobu Pro.
They modified the design probably to save money. We would never sell the older Jobu Black Widow, as it is one of the best light weight Gimbals out there. We also have the Mongoose (1.5 LBS) and the Wimberley II (3.2 LBS).
My lightest head is an Achratech Pan and Tilt Head, weighing only 0.8 LBS and can carry my heaviest gear (1DM4+500 f4.0) no problem.

by OntPhoto on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I use the Sidekick for my Canon 500 f4. It feels solid and works really well. You can take the Sidekick off in maybe 15 seconds and attach other items to your ballhead right afterwards. I have a feeling based on use in the field that for a mix of panning with up and down movements, that a full Wimberley (or Jobu, etc.) head would be better. The Sidekick is still good for this but having the support underneath the lens like a full Wimberley or Jobu will be better/smoother.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
OntPhoto wrote:I use the Sidekick for my Canon 500 f4. It feels solid and works really well. You can take the Sidekick off in maybe 15 seconds and attach other items to your ballhead right afterwards. I have a feeling based on use in the field that for a mix of panning with up and down movements, that a full Wimberley (or Jobu, etc.) head would be better. The Sidekick is still good for this but having the support underneath the lens like a full Wimberley or Jobu will be better/smoother.
As mentioned above, the Sidekick is perfectly adequate for a lens whose center of gravity doesn't shift and is absolutely abysmal to use on a lens that has a really large shift in center of gravity such as the Sigma 150-600.

by OntPhoto on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:57 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:I use the Sidekick for my Canon 500 f4. It feels solid and works really well. You can take the Sidekick off in maybe 15 seconds and attach other items to your ballhead right afterwards. I have a feeling based on use in the field that for a mix of panning with up and down movements, that a full Wimberley (or Jobu, etc.) head would be better. The Sidekick is still good for this but having the support underneath the lens like a full Wimberley or Jobu will be better/smoother.
As mentioned above, the Sidekick is perfectly adequate for a lens whose center of gravity doesn't shift and is absolutely abysmal to use on a lens that has a really large shift in center of gravity such as the Sigma 150-600.

It may be the way I have it centered/balanced on the Sidekick and the tension on the side tension knob. With the lens sitting on top of a support arm like on the full Wimberley I may not have to worry as much if the side tension knob is too loose when moving the lens up/down/tilt as I would on the Sidekick.

Some people claim that a Jobu Jr is good enough for a camera and 500 lens set up.  Not sure but I really do not know (as in never having tried it).

by Karl Egressy on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:39 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Wilson Wrote:
"Some people claim that a Jobu Jr is good enough for a camera and 500 lens set up. Not sure but I really do not know (as in never having tried it)."
Yes, you are right, some people claim.
However, my wife won't even use it for a Canon 300 f2.8 L IS+ Canon 7D Mark II
as the Jobu Black Widow, which is now called Jobu Heavy Duty Mk IV, is superior for that load.
I tried the Jobu Junior for my 500 1D Mark IV. It is flexing and unstable with that load.

22 posts |