Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
by jimborden on Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:51 pm
jimborden
Forum Contributor
I was photographing Sea Roses this morning along Harbor Road in Wells Maine--I packed up extension tubes, camera and lens and drove off leaving my tripod system along the Rose bushes--I drove back as soon as I noticed what I had done and it was gone!

RRS TVC4-4 Tripod legs with Lenscoat camp wraps, RRS TA-4-LB-HK leveling base; Wimberley II head with camo wrap; RRS MPR-CLII pano plate

the Wimberley II head is a bit unique in that I did not like the hole in the base to tighten to tripod plate-so I machined two flats on it so I could put on and off using a Wrench for a Jacobs chuck

Really feeling stupid and old--would appreciate it i anyone here was in that area and saw it -picked it up or knows where I should check--already stopped at the two businesses on that road to see if anyone had turned in

Jim Borden

by Mark Picard on Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:00 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
jimborden wrote:I was photographing Sea Roses this morning along Harbor Road in Wells Maine--I packed up extension tubes, camera and lens and drove off leaving my tripod system along the Rose bushes--I drove back as soon as I noticed what I had done and it was gone!

RRS TVC4-4 Tripod legs with Lenscoat camp wraps, RRS TA-4-LB-HK leveling base; Wimberley II head with camo wrap; RRS MPR-CLII pano plate

the Wimberley II head is a bit unique in that I did not like the hole in the base to tighten to tripod plate-so I machined two flats on it so I could put on and off using a Wrench for a Jacobs chuck

Really feeling stupid and old--would appreciate it i anyone here was in that area and saw it -picked it up or knows where I should check--already stopped at the two businesses on that road to see if anyone had turned in

Jim Borden
Geez that sucks Jim! I can't help you with your lost tripod, but if you need to borrow one, I can lend you one for this trip. (older aluminum Gitzo with a Wimberely II head and plate for scenics. You know where I live and how to reach me. I might be able to meet up with you in Bangor if needed.
 (207-447-6906)
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by OntPhoto on Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:12 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
jimborden wrote:RRS TVC4-4 Tripod legs with Lenscoat camp wraps, RRS TA-4-LB-HK leveling base; Wimberley II head with camo wrap; RRS MPR-CLII pano plate

Really feeling stupid and old--would appreciate it i anyone here was in that area and saw it -picked it up

Jim Borden

That sucks Jim.  Don't think it has anything to do with either of the things you mentioned.  We all get distracted.  I lost an expensive monopod with RRS head several years ago.  People wouldn't know who to return it to anyway because my name was not on it (thinking of maybe a tag with phone number). 

I recently found a Kowa birding scope at a Little Egret sighting location (1st ever record of this species in Ontario) here in Ottawa.  The scope and tripod were brought to a local birder's house.  Think it took 4 days for someone to realize they were missing a scope and tripod.  Hope someone somehow finds a way to return it to you.

PS.  I do not know the area you were at but if it's a birding location, birders are usually very good at sending out alerts via listservs for lost things.  If so, check with either local birding listservs or local photography clubs.  What about the police in that area?  https://www.facebook.com/WellsMainePolice

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is not yours, but it shows how Craigslist in that area might be a good place to look.

https://maine.craigslist.org/laf/5053473620.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:22 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The word is out! A Google search brings up Fred Miranda and DPReview very quickly with your loss. Maybe networking will help you out!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by jimborden on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:50 pm
jimborden
Forum Contributor
MarkPicard--many thanks for that offer--right now I am using Joan's. I filed a police report and posted here, Fred Miranda and three places on Facebook--there are some unique things about that Wimberley head that clearly identifies it as mine-I am keeping this things to myself for now :)

Wilson and Joe--thank you--I will check Craig's list and eBay routinely--I have reported to my contacts at Hunts as well.

was secretly hoping when I drove back to the road that it would be there or that one of the two businesses on the road would have it :( Just upgraded to that beast from the Gitzo 3541 and found the RRS TVC4-4 to be superb for the high pixel count camera bodies!

Not like me to be absent minded-but today was unique in many ways...

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:14 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Maybe you could go old school and place a "lost" ad here:

http://www.theweeklysentinel.com/

Joe

by Andrew Kandel on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:55 pm
Andrew Kandel
Forum Contributor
Do Really Right Stuff tripods have serial #s? If so, maybe they would have a record of yours. I'd also keep an eye out on eBay for people selling your equipment in the Maine region. Finally, it might be worthwhile to check local pawnshops.
[url=http://www.andrewkandel.com/]Website[/url] - [url=http://wherebuffaloroam.wordpress.com/]Blog[/url] - [url=https://plus.google.com/112207995176022333771/posts]Google+[/url]

by jimborden on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:05 pm
jimborden
Forum Contributor
Andrew Kandel wrote:Do Really Right Stuff tripods have serial #s?   If so, maybe they would have a record of yours.   I'd also keep an eye out on eBay for people selling your equipment in the Maine region.   Finally, it might be worthwhile to check local pawnshops.

Thanks Andrew--any help you can provide would be great--I will check with RRS about serial number. I have contacted Hunt's to be on look out for it and tomorrow I will call pawn shops in area-Thanks for suggestion

Jim

by jimborden on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:05 pm
jimborden
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Maybe you could go old school and place a "lost" ad here:

http://www.theweeklysentinel.com/

Joe
Thanks Joe--will try that !

Jim

by OntPhoto on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:04 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I assume you've already considered this. Any place near the area you were in where you can post a "Lost...." and tack it up somewhere? Like people do when they lose a pet, etc. Maybe right at the spot or parking area of where the tripod was left. As long as it's legal to do so.  If someone found it, they may just not know how to get in touch with the owner.  If you are no longer in the area, perhaps someone you know can do that for you. Were there other photographers around when you left?  Just trying to get an idea of the people who go to that area (birders, people out enjoying the area, etc.).

by jimborden on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:48 am
jimborden
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:I assume you've already considered this. Any place near the area you were in where you can post a "Lost...." and tack it up somewhere? Like people do when they lose a pet, etc. Maybe right at the spot or parking area of where the tripod was left. As long as it's legal to do so.  If someone found it, they may just not know how to get in touch with the owner.  If you are no longer in the area, perhaps someone you know can do that for you. Were there other photographers around when you left?  Just trying to get an idea of the people who go to that area (birders, people out enjoying the area, etc.).

Thanks Wilson--it was just Joan and I along a stretch of road bordering NWF refuge area photographing birds and flowers. Locals have been informed, police informed, and multiple FB posting sin Photog groups.  

Thanks for ideas!  Just hoping for the best.

by crw816 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:10 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
Good luck Jim! I'll keep my eyes peeled if it pops up in cyberspace!
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:11 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
So sorry Jim.  Sincerely, I agree that this networking dramatically increases chances of your gear recovery.

by OntPhoto on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:18 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Here is a story about a bike theft victims Craigslist message to the thief.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/toronto-craigslist-user-vows-to-track-down-bike-171910480.html

PS.  I found this quote from Mark Twain interesting (was brought up by one poster in response to the above mentioned ad. 

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain.

by Steve Cirone on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:09 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
We all make mistakes. I kicked a fairly new Canon 1D camera and nice lens into a lake when backing up to allow a group of approaching ducklings some space. $2500 repair bill.

For mental health, I suggest replacing the rig and dropping the chase. Stuff happens to us all.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by jimborden on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 am
jimborden
Forum Contributor
Steve Cirone wrote:We all make mistakes.  I kicked a fairly new Canon 1D camera and nice lens into a lake when backing up to allow a group of approaching ducklings some space.  $2500 repair bill.

For mental health, I suggest replacing the rig and dropping the chase.  Stuff happens to us all.

Steve
I had replacement in my position four days after the loss. I quickly accepted that it was gone and decided to move on while at same time passing the word. Figured that at some point it may surface. If it does surface, great.  If not, then that is the way it is meant to be. 

Jim

by John P on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 am
John P
Forum Contributor
I actually did the same silly thing 5-6 years ago in TR Roosevelt NP, busy photographing a sunrise and another couple of old gents come to the area and we start talking as I was loading my gear in the vehicle the tripod was sitting in back of the vehicle. After talking for a few minutes they took off and so did I. Not realizing that I left my tripod until a few hours later. Went back it was gone, checked at the visitor center, reported to the Sheriff told him my stupid mistake. He filed a report and simply said it was stolen, someone took it and never turned it in. When I got back in MN filed a claim with my insurance and they told me to go buy a new tripod and ball head and send them the receipt. Within a week I had my check my $100.00 my deductible. I hope you have insurance or it is found!
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

18 posts |