All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Christoph Belanger on Sat May 02, 2015 10:01 am
Christoph Belanger
Lifetime Member
Member #:00551
This instance might have been discussed here previously, but I just came across this article on Audubon Magazine that I think is a good reminder to be mindful of how we treat our subjects.

Too Close for Comfort
Christoph

Hey, you never know when next minute is your last! So enjoy life.

[url=http://belangeronline.com]belangeronline.com[/url]
Topic Locked  

by Steven Major on Sat May 02, 2015 10:41 am
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
When nameless judges hand out token sentences, I wonder the amount of the monetary kickback the judge received. The perp has no jail time, retains his business and the tools to run it, and could likely deduct the fine and kickback as a business expense.
The article is a good reminder of America's broken justice system and why great law enforced by weakness is worthless.
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Sat May 02, 2015 11:23 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
What I don't understand is the herd mentality that seems present in the photographers behavior. With all the species of birds present, you don't have to gang up and make it a social event. With the caveat that I live in a sparsely populated area of the US, it doesn't seem very enjoyable to be in a competitive environment of everyone getting the same pictures.
Topic Locked  

by WDCarrier on Sat May 02, 2015 11:37 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
As far as the article goes it definitely has some merit.  However, its primary critique is focused on serious photographers (the “long- lens” group).  This is but a small percentage of those whose “ethics” (or better termed  “ignorant callousness”) can have negative effects on wildlife.  In my 50 years as a professional wildlife biologist, half of it in which I have been involved in photography as a hobby, I have encountered many more “listers” or just ignorant tourists ignoring closures or endangering themselves and the wildlife they are pursuing than I have serious photographers.  In one instance when I was on a multi-agency team conducting research on California condors I encountered a group of “birders” carrying spotting scopes and binoculars coming out of an area closed to the public to protect condor nesting.  I asked if they knew they were in a closed area and they answered, “Yes, but it was worth it. We saw condors!”
If you’ve photographed in Yellowstone I’m sure you’ve noted that it’s always the “long-lens group” who stand along the roads near their cars as opposed to those with the iPhones and iPads who are running out in the meadows to pursue the critters.
The article fails to discuss effects of multiple elements of stress, habituation or other factors that are the factors in whether many wildlife species react differently to human activity.  Maybe I should do that.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]
Topic Locked  

by baldsparrow on Sat May 02, 2015 1:00 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
I’m a “long-ish lens” photographer, a birder who keeps a half-hearted list but primarily a professional biologist. I spend a lot of time with birds and I hope that my priority is always to avoid causing stress. I see a plenty of birders/photographers who are similarly concerned but I also see plenty of crass behaviour such as that described in the article.

I believe that much of the problem is not wilful, but is caused by people not recognising the signs of stress in the birds they want to see. It is too easy (and a sin) to anthropomorphise and to assume that a stressed bird will automatically react as a stressed human, probably by making a lot of noise and flying away rapidly if we get too close. Indeed, some do that but birds are not people and not all birds are similar to each other in the way they react. A lot depends on the situation and the species. Some may freeze, some may adopt a defensive posture but not move away because they have a nest or a territory to defend, some may utter a call that they know is telling you to back off but which we interpret as “he was singing, he couldn’t have been worried”. The owl that stays in place on the branch but which watches you through slitted eyes IS stressed.

The best behaviour for us to adopt is to assume that any bird in our vicinity is likely to be stressed unless we can definitively prove otherwise. Use a spotting scope or long camera lens and keep your distance. Do not, as the people in the water were doing, try creeping up on a bird until it has no option but to fly away because by then it is too late, the damage is done.
Topic Locked  

by Woodswalker on Sat May 02, 2015 1:06 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:What I don't understand is the herd mentality that seems present in the photographers behavior.  With all the species of birds present, you don't have to gang up and make it a social event.  With the caveat that I live in a sparsely populated area of the US, it doesn't seem very enjoyable to be in a competitive environment of everyone getting the same pictures.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. 
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Sat May 02, 2015 2:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Christoph Belanger wrote:This instance might have been discussed here previously, but I just came across this article on Audubon Magazine that I think is a good reminder to be mindful of how we treat our subjects.

Too Close for Comfort
Thread was already started here:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 7&t=254471

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by Gary Briney on Sat May 02, 2015 4:03 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Moved to Environment, Conservation, and Ethics
G. Briney
Topic Locked  

8 posts |