« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:40 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A pretty sad situation just to feed the tastes of some:

http://news.yahoo.com/more-two-million- ... 00545.html

The method of capture is really cruel, especially the limesticks. The birds include song thrushes.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:56 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
How many migratory birds are killed in N. America ( a lot since hunting supports a whole industry and a huge government bureaucracy.)
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:56 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is referring to songbirds, not waterfowl. North Americans don't eat songbirds much anymore.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:35 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
No they eat Sandhill Cranes, grouse (Sage Grouse, threantened)etc. Actually song birds because of their reproductive rate can sustain predation much better than their larger brethren. Not being a hunter, I curse the huge American Robin and starling flocks that eat my Juniper berries and poop all over my cars. (joking).
Topic Locked  

by WJaekel on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:40 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:A pretty sad situation just to feed the tastes of some:

http://news.yahoo.com/more-two-million- ... 00545.html

The method of capture is really cruel, especially the limesticks. The birds include song thrushes.

Joe
That's a real tragedy. I experienced a similar situation in Malta many years ago. They had limesticks and  decoy birds with their legs fastened with thin nylon cords as well as nets and decoy birds trapped in mini cages which were placed on the cliffs towards the migration route. When we tried to talk to the people we were threatened by guns. We found many birds recorded in the Red list. Back home I send a note to the embassy and wrote a report in the newspaper. But nothing changed up to now since they consider the massacre  as part of their "culture". Very sad and touching. I wish we could do anything against this cruelty.

Wolfgang
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:51 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
"WJaekel

But nothing changed up to now since they consider the massacre  as part of their \"culture"."
Wolfgang

That's the sad part of many of these situations! They are considered a delicacy. Same applies to the ignorant use of rhino horns as an aphrodisiac.

Joe
Topic Locked  

by Marina Scarr on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:59 pm
Marina Scarr
Forum Contributor
It's a very sad situation.
Marina Scarr
Florida Master Naturalist
Facebook, Website
Topic Locked  

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:40 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:No they eat Sandhill Cranes, grouse (Sage Grouse, threantened)etc. .
People eat Sandhill Cranes ?!
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:35 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
some photos
https://www.google.com/search?q=hunting ... d=0CB0QsAQ
Topic Locked  

by Paul Fusco on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:23 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
"WJaekel

But nothing changed up to now since they consider the massacre  as part of their \"culture"."
Wolfgang

That's the sad part of many of these situations! They are considered a delicacy. Same applies to the ignorant use of rhino horns as an aphrodisiac.

Joe
And the tradition/culture argument is also used in China as a way of defending their ivory carving factories, not individuals, but factories. 

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317
Topic Locked  

by bender16v on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:27 pm
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
I did an image search to see what "limesticks" are. The photos are simply disgusting, no creature should meet its end that way.
-Chris Harrison
Topic Locked  

11 posts |