Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by pleverington on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:02 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
A thought question for all of you. In 100 years  what  do  all of you think the state of affairs when it comes down to it for wildlife and their habitat will be? Will the snowy plover and red knot make it? Will beaver once again be creating environments that many other creatures thrive on including us be allowed to come back and do their thing..or will they be crowded out for more farms growing grain for the meat industry? Will the elephant only be existing in a small penned area surrounded by armed guards, or will they roam free and liberated from mans greedy grasp. Will there be snow leopards still, and wild Tigers? Will the polar bear be facing our capitalistic onslaught due to global warming opening up thawed out previously ice locked lands? Will  the wildlife in your little area still be there??

I'm not asking for what if's and what may be what happens type responses. Those let everyone off the hook. I am looking to hear what people actually believe and WHY they believe will happen in one hundred years from now.

Better....worse....same...what and why??  Are things mostly out of any one persons control or are we just getting started with the environmental movement?? I see good things...I see bad things. Are we all on the precipice of witnessing the final annihilation of the wild world???

Seriously what do you really think is going to happen by the year 2114???

If you don't care cause you won't be here don't comment...

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by BBrandonScott on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:13 pm
BBrandonScott
Forum Contributor
Paul, great question. I'm afraid we are headed for the dumper. We Americans just elected a Congress whose first priority is to approve the Keystone Pipeline and block the EPA. A majority of the American Congress believes global warming is a myth. We are entering one the greatest periods of extinction in the history of the planet. I'm not sure what a nature photographer would take a picture of in 2014. I give thanks that I will not live to see it. I pity my grand children.
BTW this is my first post to NatureScapes, a website I have cherished for many years. Your post prompted me to make a response. My rage at what we are doing to the planet compels me to take pictures of all the beautiful things left. The pictures may be all we have in 2114.
In sorrow, Brandon

Last edited by BBrandonScott on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by jeff Parker on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
Human population at 20 billion. No wild places. Any large wildlife remaining will be kept on private land for entertainment purposes like safari drives or "hunting".
Topic Locked  

by baldsparrow on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
I very much fear things will continue to get worse.

I very much hope they won't ... but for that to happen an awful lot of folk in every country on the planet are going to have to vote for governments that put the environment at the head of the list of important things they need to take care of. The great triumvirate of environment - heath - education. It's not going to happen though, now is it.

That's what I believe.
Topic Locked  

by Trev on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:09 pm
Trev
Forum Contributor
If you look at whats happened in the last 100 years I fear there will not be many wild places left in another 100 years from now, let alone any wildlife. With politicians putting their egos and wealth above anything else the environment wont have a hope in hell.

With some politicians disbelieving that global warming isn't even happening, as already mentioned, how can anything be done quickly enough that we can stop the human onslaught of destruction.
I really admire the people that are trying to make a difference like Greenpeace and other organizations. But look at the effort they have to go to to try and make politicians and large corporations change there practices. Until greed is removed from those people that globally dictate how things are done (which is normally large corporations bribing governments to pass laws that will enable them to destroy more and inturn increase their profits) I feel we are probably to late to reverse the damage that seems to be snowballing out of control.

I really hope I'm wrong, in fact I prey I'm wrong.
Trevor Penfold
Website http://www.trevorpenfold.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/trevorpenfoldphoto
Topic Locked  

5 posts |