All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Neil Fitzgerald on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:24 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
I use Lightroom (3.6) for photography DAM, but it doesn't work so well for video in my opinion (Premier Pro doesn't seem to pick up metadata written in LR), and not at all for audio. I dabble in a bit of slr video, and am also keen on making audio recordings of natural sounds, and hope to be able to bring the two together at some point.
Could I have some recomendations for software to manage video and audio files, before my collection grows and I lose track of things?
Thanks,
Neil.

by Neil Fitzgerald on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:28 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
No one uses anything to organise their video and audio files? Are you all just using windows explorer, folders and file names to sort and find things?? I find that a bit hard to believe. Surely there is database driven software specifically for this sort of asset management.

by Gary Briney on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:31 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Yep, lots of them -- though I don't claim to have any real experience with them. Have a look at nerxy for starters...

by Neil Fitzgerald on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:32 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Thanks Gary, I'll do that.

by Steve Rood on Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 pm
Steve Rood
Forum Contributor
This is my workflow for Video and Audio Asset Management on a Mac -

1) Download all footage (and audio if recorded separately) into folders created by date on an external backup system. I use a DROBO with Thunderbolt.

2) Preview and mark all acceptable footage and audio (selects) for editing with Adobe Bridge.

3) Edit a rough cut with iMovie, which will also store and organize raw video footage.

4) Upload the iMovie rough cut into Final Cut Pro X for finished edit, color grading, effects, type treatments, sound design and output. Like iMovie, you can organize all your footage and audio selects with Final Cut Pro X.

Hope this helps.
Steven Rood |  Photographer

by Neil Fitzgerald on Wed May 15, 2013 3:39 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Thanks Steve:)

by Kari Post on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:53 am
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
Sorry, Neil, wish I could be more help but I'm new to this. I'm working on a documentary with Jerry Monkman and will ask him what he uses to sync audio and video next chance I get (if I remember).
Kari Post, former NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by whitehead on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:58 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
I manage my video files in Aperture, I just made a master directory called "video" and use aperture "projects" for each outing. Then I edit in FCP X, but have found auto opening FCP X from aperture a bit flakey, esp with some file types, so I export from aperture to a temp directory and then import to FCP X. FCP is copying/storing all of its media on an assigned external drive.

8 posts |