« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 23 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:47 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
At first I assumed it was my whole system, then I assumed it was Firefox, but now I see that it is only NSN that will not allow me to copy and past any text. I was sending an email to the guy that does the Crane boat tours in Texas and wanted to copy some text from a thread at NSN. It will not work. I also tried to copy to a PM and that would not work either. So after testing it with many other online forums I have deduced that it is only at NSN. So is the somehow written into the NSN code now? Are we now not allowed to copy text from NSN?

by Gary Briney on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:58 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
"...into the NSN code now? Are we now not allowed to copy text from NSN?"

Tim,
I just  used text select in Firefox to copy the above from your post and then pasted it into the box on Quick Reply, so I'm sure that the Copy/Paste function isn't disabled on NSN in general. I'll have a closer look at trying to duplicate the problem which you saw. Sometimes in the past I have had a problem pasting from the clipboard, but in those cases I have always been able to finally do so by clicking the rightmost button in the editor [View Source], then pasting, and finally clicking [View Source] again before previewing or submitting my reply. If View Source isn't clicked the second time, the editing changes appear to be lost, but can be recovered by clicking the browser Go Back arrow.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood the problem, and if so, describe the problem step by step, including the exact source, and I'll try to duplicate it exactly.

Garyj
G. Briney

by Gary Briney on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:55 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Tim, A few more words about the editor, using the section of text below this month's NSN newletter for an example.  

Arctic Fox Hudson Bay, Manitoba by Charles Glatzer I love photographing in snow and harsh winter conditions, especially the Polar Regions. Capturing wildlife struggle for survival in severe wind, with double digit temps well below freezing, and snow is certainly...

When I pasted it directly into the editor, it didn't display correctly because of embedded formatting tags for [size] and [color]. These tags aren't visible of course until you click the [View Source] button mentioned in my replay above. Once these tags are visible you can remove them. As you can see, the bold and  italic tags are functional and can be left in inserted text.

So please check the information which you're trying to insert as I've described here, and remove any formatting tags, which I hope will solve the problem you saw.

Best
Gary
G. Briney

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:18 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks Gary . . . . not sure I fully understand everything you have said there, but I will explain exactly what I am doing, which usually works fine with any other site.

I highlight the selection of text I want to copy and then hit Control C, I then place my cursor where I want to copy the text to and hit Control V. The cursor does move one space to the right, but I cannot see any text at all where I copied it. I believe it does copy something because the cursor moves, but I cannot get the text to be visible. I just tried another dozen times and nothing I can do will show the copied text.

I don't know what you mean by "text select"? I cannot find any function in Firefox called "text select". There is edit/copy and edit/paste. Also, where is this [View Source] button in my email client? I can't remove any formatting tags if I can't see them.

Anyway, I suspect it is a formatting thing at NSN, but I can't see anyway to reformat where it is copied to to get it visible. Besides. why shouldn't it simply work like any other site I would copy from. Like I say, this only happens when I copy from NSN. FWIW, I am in Win7x64. I have rebooted my system many times, and even thought about reinstalling a backup system image.

by Gary Briney on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:20 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Tim,

By text select, I meant exactly what you're doing with Control C to copy highlighted text, and then paste with Control V, so we're on the same wavelength there.

The difference between what you're seeing on NSN and other sites, is mainly that the NSN editor is primarily a graphic editor. The exception is the Quick Reply: box which is simple text display, like what you're accustomed to in email and on other sites. So as an experiment, try pasting your copied text into the Quick Reply box -- it should paste OK. Remove any tags between brackets like [size] then hit Preview which switches to the graphic mode. Your text should display properly now in graphic mode.

The NSN graphic editor can be toggled between the graphic and simple text modes using the rightmost button on the menu bar of the editor, labeled in the screen shot below.

So starting from scratch, when you paste into the editor and don't see the text displayed, click the View Source icon on the editor bar as shown above, which toggles the editor to simple text, including any embedded formating tags, which are what prevents the text from displaying correctly. Remove all the tags including the brackets, then click the View Source icon again to toggle back to graphic editor mode. The inserted text will display properly -- be sure to remove all the tags, including the closing half with the slash like [ /size ] that may be separated at some distance from the initial [ size ] tag.
G. Briney

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:02 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I understand what you are saying, but that View Source you posted does not show up on my screen? I can only see the quick reply box, and no option to go advanced or where to see that option. The only way I can get to it is to click on "reply with quote". I just wanted to copy straight from the forum page; i.e. no reply box or anything. It all seems way to convoluted to do simple copy and paste.

by Gary Briney on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:39 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Tim,
My comments primarily relate to a PM as you mentioned. When you write a PM, you are automatically in the graphic editor and the View Source icon shows up as in the screen shot. The only additional step is clicking the VS icon.

I have no problem copying highlighted NSN text to to my email in plain text mode. Could you post a link to the information which you're trying to copy?

Gary
G. Briney

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:24 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
It doesn't matter at all which info I try to copy; it happens with any text from NSN. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to paste any text from NSN.

by Gary Briney on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:36 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Please try copying this line of text and pasting it into Notepad.
G. Briney

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:12 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Yes it shows up there, but with added text. Here's what gets pasted.

Please try copying this line of text and pasting it into Notepad. - See more at: http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... K48Ti.dpuf

by Gary Briney on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:36 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Yep - the additional info links back to the original, and is appended to anything copied these days. Of course you would usually want to remove it. So we've established that simple text from NSN gets copied to the clipboard, and can be pasted to a simple text application on your machine.

How about pasting that line to your email to see what happens?
G. Briney

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:49 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
It doesn't show up in my email.

by Gary Briney on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Can you copy it from Notepad to your email?
G. Briney

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:33 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Yes, it will copy from notepad to my email. Like I said, I can copy anything to anywhere as normal. I just cannot copy directly from NSN. This never used to happen and I only noticed it being a problem a couple of days ago.

by Gary Briney on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
As you can see, the trick is to convert the HTML/Rich Text to simple text before pasting. The options that come to mind are:

If you're copying from a thread, click Reply with Quote to open the text in the editor, then click the VS icon, and then copy what you need.

Or set the application (client email) to simple text if that's possible. On my WebMail I have a choice of Rich Text or plain text, though either works for me for pasting NSN text, though sometimes I need to click Ctrl-V twice to get it to paste. If your email is similar, setting it to simple text could be the most convenient fix.

Or paste into Notepad to force conversion to simple text, copy the notepad text, then paste to the application

If you want to copy text into a PM, click the VS icon in PM, then paste into the editor, make changes, and click VS again.

To the best of my knowledge, the editor and PM system haved been the same since we went to the new web design early last year.
G. Briney

by nclements on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:24 am
nclements
Development Team
Member #:99999
Gary Briney wrote:...

To the best of my knowledge, the editor and PM system haved been the same since we went to the new web design early last year.
I can confirm that nothing has changed in the last couple of months in the forums and with regards to the editor (PM system uses the same editor) nothing has changed since about last February.

Tim, the problem appears to be something in Firefox itself. Chrome and Safari work fine for me but FF doesn't. So I did some quick research and found:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/964115

Although that is for version 22 (currently they're on 26 which is supposedly fixed) I followed the suggestion about disabling the dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled option and found that copy/paste now worked. Oddly enough, I re-enabled the flag and copy/paste still works, even after restarting FF.

by Gary Briney on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:41 am
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Thanks for your quick response Nicholas.
G. Briney

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:53 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I am on v26.0 and still have the problem. Can you explain this a bit more:

"I followed the suggestion about disabling the dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled option and found that copy/paste now worked. Oddly enough, I re-enabled the flag and copy/paste still works, even after restarting FF."

I don't know what the "dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled option" is and do not know what you mean by "re-enabled the flag" ?

All I see suggested at that link is "I just 'killed' and then restarted Windows' file manager process, explorer.exe. When explorer came back up again, copy-paste worked immediately."  I tried this and it made no difference.

Also, while I was preparing this response I wanted to italicize the quotes, but there is no longer any way to get into the advanced reply window like there used to be. I could have added the code manually, but why can we not access that advanced reply window anymore unless we hit quote? Every other forum I participate in has a "go advanced" button.

by Gary Briney on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:29 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Tim Zurowski wrote:I am on v26.0 and still have the problem. Can you explain this a bit more:

"I followed the suggestion about disabling the dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled option and found that copy/paste now worked. Oddly enough, I re-enabled the flag and copy/paste still works, even after restarting FF."

I don't know what the "dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled option" is and do not know what you mean by "re-enabled the flag" ?

Tim - To do this, type About:config into the address bar and hit return. Then scroll down to "dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled.option" and double-click on it which toggles the value in the rightmost column to "false".  Double-click it again if you want to re-enable it.

All I see suggested at that link is "I just 'killed' and then restarted Windows' file manager process, explorer.exe. When explorer came back up again, copy-paste worked immediately."  I tried this and it made no difference.

Also, while I was preparing this response I wanted to italicize the quotes, but there is no longer any way to get into the advanced reply window like there used to be. I could have added the code manually, but why can we not access that advanced reply window anymore unless we hit quote? Every other forum I participate in has a "go advanced" button.

If you're using Quick Reply, click Preview to enter the editor with the italics and other formatting features enabled. I don't recall seeing any Go Advanced option except in the Search function. If you click Post Reply near the top of the page, you will immediately be in the graphic editor with italics and other formatting features.
G. Briney

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:04 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks Gary, that finally worked! Now my question is will everything operate okay with that entry set to "false"? I ask because I first checked that it worked on false and then reset it back to true, and with it set at true, it was back to not working again. So for me it appears I need to leave it at false. I only have this issue with NSN, so could other problems arise if I leave it at false?

23 posts |