Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by neverspook on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I am considering getting the new Canon 600 II lens and am hoping someone can tell me if it will fit in the Kiboko pack with a body (MkIV) attached.

I have read the specs for the new lens and it seems like it would be a tight fit if it fit at all, so am wondering if anyone has tried it

I am quite small/short so most packs that fit big glass with a body attached don't fit my back. But the Kiboko is pretty good, at least with my old 500 plus body.

If the Kiboko won't work with the 600II plus body, I would welcome suggestions for packs that would work with that combination and that would also suit smaller people like me.

Thanks,
Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Greg Downing on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:09 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
It will not fit with the body attached - not even close. The only bags that I know of that will fit a 600 with body attached is a Kinesis long lens case or similar (LowePro etc) long lens bags.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by purdee on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:28 pm
purdee
Forum Contributor
I agree with Greg. I have the Kiboko 30L and my Canon 600 II is a tight fit. When I purchased it I thought I would be able to load my 600 II into it with a body attached. No way...not even close. It's also pretty tight zipping it up due to the 600's bulging lens shade. However a very high quality product.

by neverspook on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
OK, thanks. That is very helfpul information. The key reason I am considering the 600 is that I like the 1DX but have to give up the crop factor and AF at f8. And since it now weighs about what my old 500 does, the new 600 is an option for me. But I guess I will stick with the 500 for now and cross my fingers for a crop body as good as the 1DX or a firmware fix for AF at f8.

Roberta

by Neil Fitzgerald on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:53 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Of course, the 600/4 will fit with the 1DIV not attached, plus a whole lot more.

by lesliejmorris on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:03 am
lesliejmorris
Forum Contributor
If you want that 600 mm you should get on a list NOW! I have been waiting for over 6 weeks for one to ship...sigh. Never thought it would be so hard to spend 13K. Canon seriously underestimated the demand for this lens.

I am small to so I would like to know what pack you end up with.

by PV Hiker on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:35 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
We Have the new 500 and the 600 II lenses. We have the Kiboko bag. The 500 of course fits with the 1Dmk4 and lens hood reversed. The 600 fits but without any camera attached. The lens hood for me will not fit without a fight with the extra diameter. If you do get it zipped up then you risk the bag not fitting in some airplane overheads. I went to Alaska and we packed up our Kibokos for the flights. I put the 600mm lens hood in the checked luggage. Also in the checked luggage was my Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW Camera Backpack (the turtle shell). Yes I brought the Kiboko for the traveling on the airplane and once there used the LowePro so I could keep the camera attached and the lens hood reversed.

Going to Africa next month and I was wondering if I bought too big for travel. Her 500mm II fits and works out just fine. The 600 is just bigger to deal with. But with the new 500 is still not flooding the market so I decided just to take the 600 and deal with it. I won’t be taking the LowPro and I’ll just keep it in the Kiboko. But when I want to use it will have to mount the camera every time. The lens hood, I’ll try to keep that side of the bag outter pocket empty and let the bag bulge out, if I feel the zipper is not going to break.

Maybe Andy needs to have the bag expand?
Patrick

Last edited by PV Hiker on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by neverspook on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:35 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks, everyone. Great points, Patrick, about travel issues with the 600. I am wondering if one of those soft lens hoods they sell at the NSN store might solve your lens hood issues. Not sure I would want to have to mount the camera each time - dust, lost shots etc...

I might end up sticking with a 500 and the Kiboko.

Leslie, I am not sure but I think some of the ThinkTank Airport type packs might fit smaller people, though they would not fit a 600 with body attached.

by Greg Downing on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:12 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Personally, given the 44% increase in subject size, you could not pry the 600 out of my hands and replace it with a 500. I am not sure about missing shots with the lens / camera in the bag anyway. I carry the lens with camera mounted out of the bag in the field and only use the bag for getting from a to b. When shooting in places like Africa I use a long lens case and slide the lens/camera into it each time we move from a to b.
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by PV Hiker on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:54 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
Greg you are correct. I was only thinking about the 500mm being a more convenient whole travel package and that works well for the wife. Now you got me looking at a long lens case…what do you have? Sometimes I think we need a porter, wouldn’t that be nice?
Patrick

by Greg Downing on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
I was referring to Roberta's statement that maybe she will just get a 500. I just wanted to be sure folks understand that the difference is not the 20% that one might imagine. It's significant.

For long lens cases I use this: http://www.naturescapes.net/store/kines ... -case.html

Mind you it does not fit the lens with hood in shooting position and body attached - however when on safari I strap this to the back of the seat in front of me and drop the lens in it and then let the camera stick out and cover it with a dust cover for going from a to b.
Greg Downing

by neverspook on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:32 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Good points, Greg. I have never used a 600 and the reach would be nice. If the 1DX had a 1.3X crop factor, though, I would not even be thinking about a 600 because that does not provide any weight saving over my old 500. As I get older and wimpier, that 1.5 lb saving of the 500 II vs my old 500 has a lot of appeal :) If I could just have the reach of the 600 with the size and weight of say, a 70-200......sign. Really the only reason i can consider a 600 II is because it is so much lighter than the old 600.

How about an 800f5.6? Would that fit in a Kiboko with body attached? Not as flexible as a 600 which can also be 840 with a 1.4X, I know, but still an option.

Roberta

by Steve Metildi on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 pm
Steve Metildi
Lifetime Member
Member #:00266
The Canon 800 f/5.6 does not fit in the Kiboko 30L with a body attached even with the hood reversed. It fits fine in the Kiboko without a camera body attached and you have some extra room on the same side of the bag for other smaller accessories.

Steve

by neverspook on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:49 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Steve.

by Steve Metildi on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:38 am
Steve Metildi
Lifetime Member
Member #:00266
Greg Downing wrote:Personally, given the 44% increase in subject size, you could not pry the 600 out of my hands and replace it with a 500.
I strongly agree given most or all new cameras are going the way of full frame sensors.

Steve

15 posts |