« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 1 post | 
by jcradford on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:00 am
jcradford
Forum Contributor
There isn't much written yet about the GigTube II remote controller, made by Apucture in China, and available on Amazon for $210. It includes a wireless transmitter attached to camera shoe, and 3-inch monitor/receiver trigger and view video footage and stills on Canons, or stills on many other brands. This is a major upgrade, and not to be confused with their cheaper models still being sold. I havent measured distance, but 300 feet is probably hopeful, not realistic -- I'm good at 100 feet. Be sure to get the right unit for your camera. Different cables and link. Mine is a Canon 7D. The only problem I experienced is a Canon problem ... Live View on this camera in STILLS mode shuts down in two minutes, which is what you see remotely on the receiver's LCD ... but in video mode it continues to remain on. (There is an option of the transmitter's pinhole camera, which displays a wide angle reference quality image, maybe not quite what the camera sees.) Setup for video is a few clicks on the receiver, and on the camera -- but for the 7D I had to initialize the Remote Sensor on the grip, thru the AF-Drive and selecting either of the self-timers! Interesting. (See page 110 of the 7D manual.) An infra-red probe is aimed at the sensor on the grip. A little 'klutzy' but it works as a simple remote trigger -- let's say for unobtrusive wildlife shoots, or on a jib or monopod for high angles. Meanwhile, the Gigtube works for stills as advertised: it hunts for AF, unless you choose to pre-focus, and triggers the camera's rapid-fire or delays. (No zoom control or pans ... Thats pricier stuff.) Build quality is cheapo but durable plastic body, with a nice protective sun shade on receiver. It's very compact, but lower-end LCD image quality -- which can be OK as a 3-inch reference/positioning monitor. I won't use mine with more than one camera, but this could monitor and trigger four units if you bought extra transmitters to capture a subject from angles. And it all runs on rechargeables. Yes, there are cheaper, or much more expensive, higher-quality and cabled or wireless options in this market ... but maybe not as convenient, innovative or compact. Time will tell. I could also envision a client holding the pocket-able receiver to monitor a shoot. Its just not high-res quality. So, if its a bear in focus, I'd rather he calmly eat the berries or salmon or the camera, not me. Jim

1 post |