All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Jim Zipp on Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:57 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
I have read that the 10D can benefit from a bit of in camera sharpening. This cannot be done (from what I can tell) if I am set to Adobe RGB for my color space. If I set the camera to sRGB in order to have some in camera sharpening will I have lost anything if I then convert to Adobe RGB at the time of conversion? I only work in RAW mode and am used to working with a 1D where I do everything in PS.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Chuck Peacock on Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:33 am
Chuck Peacock
Forum Contributor
I'm no expert on the 10D (yet :) ) but if I understand correctly, you wont lose anything by keeping sRGB as the camera setting and converting with Adobe later.
Seems kind of odd though that, in general, the in camera parameters (sharpening etc.) cannot be set manually if Adobe is selected.
Someone feel free to set me straight if I'm not correct.
I'd also like to know what others do for sharpening in camera w/ the 10D.
Chuck

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
As long as you are shooting RAW nothing is lost. Just set your RAW converter to output an Adobe RGB file as the default. This is the stupidest thing about the 10D and I was hoping that a firmware correction for this would have apperaed by no but nooooooooooooo. :)

by Greg Downing on Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:59 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Jim, you can do it either way. The first way is to set the in-camera sharpening with the sRGB color space and change to Adobe 1998 at conversion time. The second way is to set in camera to Adobe 1998 and change the sharpening options at conversions time. Both ways get the same end result but it is always best to check all the above at conversion time anyway. Even if you have sharpening on with sRGB in-camera you can still change it at conversion time, same goes for the color space.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Jim Zipp on Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:18 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Thanks Guys, I wasn't sure if it was similar to trying to go bact to 16 bit from 8 bit which really doesn't work.
Jim Zipp

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jim Zipp wrote:Thanks Guys, I wasn't sure if it was similar to trying to go bact to 16 bit from 8 bit which really doesn't work.
Nope its not like that - its the beauty of the RAW file where you basically get a file which is completely unaltered so anything that the camera can do to the file, you can do in the conversion process.

by Steve Mason on Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:04 pm
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
I think I'm missing something here.
If you're shooting raw, what advantage would setting in-camera sharpening give you?
Steve Mason

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:15 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Steve Mason wrote:If you're shooting raw, what advantage would setting in-camera sharpening give you?
If you are using the embedded JPEG to do quick editing of images, you can better detrmine whether or not the photos are sharp.

by Greg Downing on Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:35 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Steve Mason wrote:If you're shooting raw, what advantage would setting in-camera sharpening give you?
If you are using the embedded JPEG to do quick editing of images, you can better detrmine whether or not the photos are sharp.
Also, any in-camera settings are applied as default when you begin the conversion process. IOW when you open BreezeBrowser (or another conversion program) to convert an image any in-camera sharpening will be automatically applied without the need to go into that window of the program with each image and apply it manually prior to converting.

The basic problem with the 10D (as we have been discussing here) is that you cannot have both in-camera sharpening AND Adobe 1998 set at the same time, so if you want both you need to change one or the other in the settings prior to converting.

The reason I choose to shoot in sRGB mode and turn on in-camera sharpening, rather than shoot in Adobe1998 mode with the sharpening off is because in BreezeBrowser it is easier to change to Adobe1998 than it is to apply the sharpening since it can be done right in the front window. Otherwise it may be easy to forget the sharpening.

With the 1D or 1Ds this is not a problem because you can have in-camera sharpening turned on with the Adobe1998 color space selected at the same time, so when you convert you need not do anything other than check the white balance.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Walt Anderson on Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Walt Anderson
Forum Contributor
Hello,
Would Greg or E.J. please mention how much sharpening they use with the 10D?
Thanks,
Walt Anderson

by Steve Mason on Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:42 pm
Steve Mason
Forum Contributor
Ahh makes sense now. Especially for evaluating the embedded jpegs.

I'll have to try it.
Steve Mason

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Walt Anderson wrote:Hello,
Thanks,
Walt Anderson
Hi Walt, good to see you here, we both use the slighter of the two sharpening levels that you can set in the camera.

by Jim Zipp on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:11 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Walt Anderson wrote:Hello,
Thanks,
Walt Anderson
Hi Walt, good to see you here, we both use the slighter of the two sharpening levels that you can set in the camera.
E.J.,
Not to flog a dead horse but I have a question on the "slighter of the two sharpening levels". When I go to sharpening levels I see where there is a default in the middle and then you can go 2 to the left and 2 to the right. Do you meanone above the center or one above "0" on the left?
Jim Zipp

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
One above center - going to the left actually softens the image.

by Jim Zipp on Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:41 pm
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Thanks again E.J.

(darn, you're fast!!!!!!!!)
Jim Zipp

15 posts |