All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by James Vellozzi on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:07 am
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Hello
I just got the Epson 3880. I was making prints that looked ok, but then started playing around with settings in PSCS3..
Now when I open one of my Nikon tiff files I get the message:

Embedded Profile MIsmatch
Embedded Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3000
Working: Nikon s RGB 4.0.0.3001

There are 3 options that come up to correct for this, but I really do not know which to choose.
I been getting this message with any file I open now. A recent print I made looked awful and wasted a lot of paper and ink..

I am hoping you can help me get back to some default so I can be on track on again.. and not so stressed over this..

thanks for all your help

James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Les Voorhis on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:22 am
Les Voorhis
Forum Contributor
Member #:01066
James,

It looks like you got your color settings out of whack. Below is the color settings that I use in CS3. You get here by going into Edit>Color Settings. It looks like you have imbedded an incorrect profile into your file and that is giving your mismatch. However, you really shouldn't get drastically different results in your final prints based on what you posted here. (I can't imagine a huge difference between Nikon sRGB and sRGB IEC61996-2.1). Do you print with profiles from Photoshop or are you letting the printer handle the colors? You may be double profiling (giving control to both PS and the printer) or not profiling at all (neither one has control). Either of those will give a very nasty look to the final print.

Why don't you post your printing workflow and we will see if we can help. Good luck
Les Voorhis
Focus West Gallery, Framing and Gifts
http://www.focuswestgallery.com
http://www.outdoorphotoworkshops.com

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:34 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Les has it right. You should not be using Nikon's color spaces once you are in Lightroom or Photoshop.

by James Vellozzi on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:50 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Les Voorhis wrote:James,

It looks like you got your color settings out of whack. Below is the color settings that I use in CS3. You get here by going into Edit>Color Settings. It looks like you have imbedded an incorrect profile into your file and that is giving your mismatch. However, you really shouldn't get drastically different results in your final prints based on what you posted here. (I can't imagine a huge difference between Nikon sRGB and sRGB IEC61996-2.1). Do you print with profiles from Photoshop or are you letting the printer handle the colors? You may be double profiling (giving control to both PS and the printer) or not profiling at all (neither one has control). Either of those will give a very nasty look to the final print.

Why don't you post your printing workflow and we will see if we can help. Good luck
Hi Les
How do I post my printing workflow? just copy and paste the windows I see?
It would make it much easier to tell everyone what im doing if I knew how to post my workflow..
thanks
Look forward to hearing from you and everyone
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes, screen capture. In Win 7 there is the snipping tool which easily accomplishes that or the old Print Screen standby but you'll have to crop that.

On the Mac it is Command Shift 4 for a snipping tool.

by Les Voorhis on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:33 pm
Les Voorhis
Forum Contributor
As EJ mentioned screen captures would be best. However, even just typing out your steps if the screen captures don't work is better than nothing. My guess there is something in your workflow that is causing your printing errors. Let's start with something and we can add to it if we need to.
Les Voorhis

by James Vellozzi on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:09 am
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Hi Les and E.J
I hope I got this right.. this is my workflow for printing.
That is the setting for color mgmt in PSCS3

The first print screen I get from PSCS3, there are 3 choices:
1. Photoshop manages colors
2. Printer manages colors
3. No color Mgmt.
I choose Photoshop manages colors and
I choose rendering as Perceptual..

At Page Setup I get the window for the Epson 3880 and there are still more options for Mode, either Custom or Automatic.
Automatic has
Epson Standard sRGB or Adobe RGB ( Frankly I do not know which to choose) could this be where my error is occurring?

There are also 4 choices under custom.

If you could essentially provide me with the best settings throughout I would like to see how they turn out.
I been making many prints, all with different generally unsatisfactory results..

thanks so much for your help..

James

I usually choose Photoshop manages colors. I do not know if this is a good setting, as my photos do not look as I would like..
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Les Voorhis on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 am
Les Voorhis
Forum Contributor
Goshawkjv wrote:At Page Setup I get the window for the Epson 3880 and there are still more options for Mode, either Custom or Automatic.
Automatic has
Epson Standard sRGB or Adobe RGB ( Frankly I do not know which to choose) could this be where my error is occurring?

This is where your problem is occuring in part...By leaving it in Automatic you are giving the printer control as well...so PS is sending color info AND your printer is proving color info as well. There should be a choice under Custom for "Off, No Color Management". This is your choice when printing with profiles from PS.

Back in your original print screen you should see (underneath the Photoshop Manages Color) another pull down menu for a profile. You need to select a profile that fits the printer and paper combo that you are using. When you installed the driver for your 3880 it should have installed a whole list of profiles. They would look like this:
In this case I am selecting the Ehanced Matte Paper Profile for Photo Black Ink (EMP_PK) for my Epson 7880. I typically use Perceptual as my rendering intent...either that or Realtive Colorimetric but that can be a topic for another day.

The profiles that come with the Epson printers are pretty good but as you advance you will want to look into custom profiles. But for now the canned profiles should fix your printing issue and give good results. Good luck and keep us posted as to how you do. :-)
Les Voorhis

by James Vellozzi on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:38 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Les
I will run some test prints under those settings and let you know how things come out..
I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out here..
James

Les Voorhis wrote:
Goshawkjv wrote:At Page Setup I get the window for the Epson 3880 and there are still more options for Mode, either Custom or Automatic.
Automatic has

This is where your problem is occuring in part...By leaving it in Automatic you are giving the printer control as well...so PS is sending color info AND your printer is proving color info as well. There should be a choice under Custom for "Off, No Color Management". This is your choice when printing with profiles from PS.

Back in your original print screen you should see (underneath the Photoshop Manages Color) another pull down menu for a profile. You need to select a profile that fits the printer and paper combo that you are using. When you installed the driver for your 3880 it should have installed a whole list of profiles. They would look like this:
In this case I am selecting the Ehanced Matte Paper Profile for Photo Black Ink (EMP_PK) for my Epson 7880. I typically use Perceptual as my rendering intent...either that or Realtive Colorimetric but that can be a topic for another day.

The profiles that come with the Epson printers are pretty good but as you advance you will want to look into custom profiles. But for now the canned profiles should fix your printing issue and give good results. Good luck and keep us posted as to how you do. :-)
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It would also be helpful to get a screen capture of what you see when you click on Page Setup

10 posts |