Motif: Clouds (1st 1dmk2 shot)

Posted by Peterh on Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:20 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Rolcloud, Zeist, The Netherlands, July 17 2004, 1Dmk2, 20-35/2.8L@20/8.0, ISO 200

Thanks for the motif. By coincidence I had the chance of shooting this thunder/rol cloud 2 weeks ago, when I just had my new 1Dmk2 for a few days. This was the first serious shot with it.

As I am very new to the digital world, I did probably everything wrong. The WB is not the way it should be, but it was more dramatic this way. On my calibrated monitor I see details in the trees. Now from the monitor I post this I don't. So hopefully it comes over correctly. It might have a bit more exposure (which can be done of course).

I converted in DPP, played around with the WB and settings (but I only changed the WB) saved as 16 bit tif, opened in PS8 and resized it and sharpened it for the web with wide edges. Saved for the web. I don't know if the exif is still in there. I don't know how to open this... I'm thinking of changing the WB back to somewhat cooler settings to reproduce the real colours more.

Any feedback is helpfull.

Cheers

Peter
[b]http://www.peterdenhartog.com[/b]

Posted by:
Peterh
Forum Contributor

by Dick Theunissen on Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:37 am
Dick Theunissen
Forum Contributor
I am still waiting for that 1st shot as my camera has not arrived yet - reason enough to be jealous ! I saw a shot like this on the 20h news on the same day I assume you have made this when we had all all the storms - very impressive and threatening. I cannot see the detail in the tree either but I am on a laptop. I like the composition and the WB - great 1st shot..
Cheers - Dick

by Ken Cravillion on Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:32 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Those are some mean clouds!

I do see some detail in the trees on the left. I also like this warmer color to it.
Ken Cravillion

by balazs on Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:06 pm
balazs
Forum Contributor
I like your composition very much, incredible clouds. On my monitor the shadows seem to be dark, some little dtail on the left. Looks like a good subject of the shadow/highlight tool!

by chris earle on Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:54 pm
chris earle
Forum Contributor
You really captured the intensity if that storm. Wow!
Chris Earle
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0045[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Very well done.

by Cindy Marple on Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:25 am
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038
That is one intense stormcloud. A very moody and ominous image. I like all the detail in the cloud.
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

by Peterh on Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:29 am
Peterh
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the replys!

I will give the shadow/highlight tool a go. Never tried it before though... Let's see what happens.

As a lot op people did see this SHELFCLOUD (as it is called), because of the excellent weather before the storm, a lot of people have pictures of it that appear now everywhere. I might be forced to cut back the warmth a bit to get closer to the other pictures. Or SHOULDN'T I do this?

Thanks again

Peter

P.S. Dick I know how you feel about that camera. I can give you an address where no-one is on the waiting list with a prize of about 4K
[b]http://www.peterdenhartog.com[/b]

8 posts |